Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 18

Thread: Best Ladies step sequences

  1. #1
    Custom Title FSGMT's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Italy
    Posts
    2,964

    Best Ladies step sequences

    I think that one great thing about IJS is that (even if we're seeing a lot of skaters performing horrible and labored 40-seconds-lasting step sequences) during the past years a great developement of step sequences has taken place, and some skaters are really reaching levels of pure art. Which are your favourite footwork pieces?
    My picks are (I'm not making a ranking, because I don't want to turn this into a Carolina-loving thread )
    Kostner's Bolero: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CmT876rlpfA (from 4:25), pure art, probably the best female step sequence ever for me
    Kostner's Nocturne and Violina Concerto: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RrkwoSzY_3k (from 2:55)
    Mao's Rachmaninoff: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3gw3ZBgPSlY (from 4:18)
    Akiko suzuki 2010 SP: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WssWugss7RI (from 2:25)
    Sasha Cohen 2004 SP: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sI-cbt1u1uc
    Michelle Kwan 1998 Rachmaninoff: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OHfgjszz_Tk (from 1:17): everything about this is pretty perfect for me

  2. #2
    Custard Title
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    993
    A couple I like that you didn't mention, in chronological order:
    Midori Ito 1988 SP
    Irina Slutskaya doing one-footed footwork sequences in 2002, years before it was ever required
    Shizuka Arakawa 2004 SP
    Yuna Kim 2006-07 SP
    Mao Asada 2008-09 SP
    Mao Asada 2008-09 LP (I could post more of Mao but I'll leave it at 2)
    Yuna Kim 2011 LP
    Carolina Kostner 2012 LP

  3. #3
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Posts
    153
    In the last two quads? MAO ASADA. Hands down. Then Kostner, then Kim. The rest of the field just makes it look so laboured and mathematical and quite frankly this does just makes for unbearable StSqs. Kim has slowed down a little in this cycle but that's more due to lack of competition. That Tango FP at Sochi could have been FIRE (and Arirang in 2011), had she competed a couple of more times. We all know what Kim and Tango do to each other- she owns the tango. And really- these three ladies use it to elevate the music and use the element accordingly.

    In this recent surge of ladies, I think Radionova, Lipnitskaia, Miyahara, Osmond (esp if its jazzy) show promise. They just need to let the choreography breathe and develop naturally.

  4. #4
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Posts
    220
    Quote Originally Posted by TheCzar View Post
    In the last two quads? MAO ASADA. Hands down. Then Kostner, then Kim.

    In this recent surge of ladies, I think Radionova, Lipnitskaia, Miyahara, Osmond (esp if its jazzy) show promise. They just need to let the choreography breathe and develop naturally.
    Agree. Mao's stsq is to die for!

  5. #5
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Posts
    797
    Mao's stsq in her Rachmaninov LP is a thing of pure beauty. The part where she's spinning on the tips of her blades is GORGEOUS. I re-winded to watch that part several times.

    I like Yuna Kim's stsq in her Danse Macabre and Bond SPs.

  6. #6
    Custom Title chapis's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    México
    Posts
    965
    Mao's Liebestraum, Bells and Rach. 2

  7. #7
    Size 7 Knife Boots Sam-Skwantch's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Location
    At the Rink
    Posts
    3,659
    I really like Mao's FS StSeq and feel like she is drawing what the music would look on the ice if we were able to see music. Mao is the best! That said, I see promise for Yulia's StSeq in her Schindlers list. She really seems to use her whole body to express as best she can at her young age. Then again it seems like the only step StSeq people want to acknowledge are Caro,Yuna, and Mao

  8. #8
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Posts
    273
    Mao's Step Sequence in Roch 2 has brought me to tears in both the Olympics and at Worlds. It is so agile, limber and mystical that I think she is going to take to the sky like in Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon.
    Also love Mao's sultry darkness in Bells of Moscow step sequence from 2010, especially at Worlds. The Dark Angel firing frantically nimble lightning bolts

  9. #9
    On the Ice
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    47
    This season: Mao and Carolina's LPs. I'd also like to add Michelle's 2004 Tosca LP (the Nationals performance) to the list. I like watching step sequences even more than jumps. It shows that a skater has a real command of the blade.

  10. #10
    Custom Title Franklin99's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Posts
    176
    Of this quad,Yuna has the best toe jumps, Caro has the best edges , but when it comes to step sequences, Mao definitely has that on lock. And all three has great musicality and are beautiful packaged skaters. And there's a scientist somewhere that is putting the talents of these ladies together (with a sprinkle of kwan, Li, and Suzuki) into one person, to make the perfect female figure skater for the next quad.

  11. #11
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Posts
    113
    Quote Originally Posted by Franklin99 View Post
    Of this quad,Yuna has the best toe jumps, Caro has the best edges , but when it comes to step sequences, Mao definitely has that on lock. And all three has great musicality and are beautiful packaged skaters. And there's a scientist somewhere that is putting the talents of these ladies together (with a sprinkle of kwan, Li, and Suzuki) into one person, to make the perfect female figure skater for the next quad.
    I think yuna has some good edges too and so as Carolina. http://gall.dcinside.com/board/view/...mode=recommend
    http://gall.dcinside.com/board/view/...mode=recommend
    Mao doesn't have good edges, but she definitely has great flow and interpretation during her step sequence.

    Mao- complex turns and complex transitions
    Caro- deep edge, transitional speed
    Yuna- deep edge, harmony with the music

    what's ur opinions?

  12. #12
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Posts
    306
    Carolina and Mao's sequences are always so effortless and fast to me.

    Mao's 2014 Rachmaninoff lp sequence gives me chills (it's already been linked). I also love Akiko's O footwork, Yuna's Scheherazade and Danse Macabre and most of Carolina's

    For 6.0, Yagudin, Kwan and Slutskaya had the best. Yagudin kind of started the Morozov craze, and Irina's 2002 sequence done on just one foot was ahead of its time.

    In the 90's Kwan's footwork was always fast, dramatic and covered a ton of ice, and towards the end of her career she improved the difficulty/complexity. My favorites for her include:

    97 Dream of Desdemona: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IEklWrSU8VQ#t=2m30s
    98 Rachmaninoff: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uEaZ_4BZW9I#t=5m44s
    2001 east of eden : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oTO6104VEqc#t=1m46s
    2005 spartacus (nationals): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kwr4zH53-bo#t=2m42s
    2005 bolero (worlds): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bgYMR6B8s8I#t=3m47s

  13. #13
    Custom Title mirai4life's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Posts
    1,074
    Yuna Kim 2009 Worlds SP

  14. #14
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Posts
    437
    Agreed that Mao's Rachmaninoff stsq was the most stunning and breathtaking. I would place Caro's after hers, and then Adelina's stsq for Carmen at Sochi.

  15. #15
    Custom Title plushyfan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Posts
    2,895
    Quote Originally Posted by FSGMT View Post
    I think that one great thing about IJS is that (even if we're seeing a lot of skaters performing horrible and labored 40-seconds-lasting step sequences) during the past years a great developement of step sequences has taken place, and some skaters are really reaching levels of pure art. Which are your favourite footwork pieces?
    My picks are (I'm not making a ranking, because I don't want to turn this into a Carolina-loving thread )
    Kostner's Bolero: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CmT876rlpfA (from 4:25), pure art, probably the best female step sequence ever for me
    Kostner's Nocturne and Violina Concerto: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RrkwoSzY_3k (from 2:55)
    Mao's Rachmaninoff: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3gw3ZBgPSlY (from 4:18)
    Akiko suzuki 2010 SP: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WssWugss7RI (from 2:25)
    Sasha Cohen 2004 SP: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sI-cbt1u1uc
    Michelle Kwan 1998 Rachmaninoff: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OHfgjszz_Tk (from 1:17): everything about this is pretty perfect for me
    I agree Carolina's Bolero step sequences is the best!! The whole program is amazing.. I add to the list Mao: Swan in last year..

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •