Thread: Kanako Murakami's Future

Hybrid View

Custard Title

Kanako Murakami's Future

It seems that Kanako plans to continue, as she has already mentioned how much she enjoyed competing in Sochi and how she would like to make it to Pyeongchang. However, Kanako got wrecked by the tech panel at 2014 Worlds with 6 underrotation calls in her LP. While some of those calls were very harsh, her unorthodox technique on several jumps probably doesn't do her any favors in the panel's eyes. Is this a sign that she should attempt to rework her technique (fix her flutz, get rid of her hammer toe on Lutz and flip, possibly change her weird squatting entry to the loop)? Could the Japanese ladies afford this kind of short term sacrifice from one of their top skaters?

i thought she was planning to retire??

Size 7 Knife Boots Sam-Skwantch's Avatar
    [PHP][/PHP]Nope. She said she is staying

That would have been awful if Akiko,Mao, and Kanako all didn't compete next year.

Custom Title
    Gosh if Mao takes her break next year, Kanako is gonna be left as Japan's #1. It's kinda strange with Kanako, one moment the tech panel says her jumps are alright and gives her a pass and then another moment they kick her to the curb. If she's gonna fix her technique, I doubt it's gonna be a short term fix since it's probably in grained in her skating. Mao worked so hard to try and fix hers and she still has problems. If Mao doesn't skate next season, is Japan likely to get 3 spots in ladies for the following worlds? Kanako might as well try and fix it and see what happens.

i like kanako's enthusiasm when she skates.. maybe she needs someone who can help her jump technique..

Ice is slippery.
    ^It is a weird thought indeed...with her being Japan's #1 if Mao takes a side-line next season. Can Japan afford Kanako reworking her tech's? No. But should she do it anyways? Yes. Will she? No. She's so fun to watch and has so much talent, its really a shame she doesn't have that competitive drive She loves being on that ice and probably isn't ready to give it up, but with the way its looking for the ladies, her road to pyeongchang is an extremely difficult one. I'd love to see her around for another 2 seasons but I really can't see her going on past that.

Custom Title
    Great news I was just thinking about her future. She has great speed and power, but at the same time, caught with urs for all her jumps in this competition and next, none. For a skater, this kind of unpredictability is frustrating.
    Working on her jumps is not the best strategy since we all know it will take a long time and may not work out in the end at all.
    Since I've seen so many skaters got better consistency by losing some lbs (Gracie, Adelina, and S/K), so she might try this little trick, especially considering she didn't have under rotations when she was a junior and lighter.

Skating is art, if you let it be. Blades of Passion's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by makaihime View Post
    its really a shame she doesn't have that competitive drive
    Oh, I'd say she definitely has competitive drive. She just never gets the results from the judges. Many of the UR calls she gets are unfair and it must wreck her mentally, wondering what more she can do.

Her jump technique is unique. Aside from the flutz, it shouldn't be cause for any additional penalty (unless the jump is overly telegraphed). She isn't Yukari Nakano; her technique isn't THAT flawed.

Mostly, going forward, I just hope that she skates her heart out. Two good programs will also be key. She can't coast on reputation like Mao or Kostner. I'd like to see her do a SP again with all 3 Triples in the second half of the program. She's still the only female to do that and it does help to set her apart.

Custard Title
    Quote Originally Posted by FTnoona View Post
    Gosh if Mao takes her break next year, Kanako is gonna be left as Japan's #1. It's kinda strange with Kanako, one moment the tech panel says her jumps are alright and gives her a pass and then another moment they kick her to the curb. If she's gonna fix her technique, I doubt it's gonna be a short term fix since it's probably in grained in her skating. Mao worked so hard to try and fix hers and she still has problems. If Mao doesn't skate next season, is Japan likely to get 3 spots in ladies for the following worlds? Kanako might as well try and fix it and see what happens.
    I do think Kanako should try fixing it. She doesn't have to worry about maintaining a triple Axel and her 3Toe and 3Salchow are perfectly fine. She's no Kostner but I think she could still rank OK if she repeated the Salchow and toe while fixing other jumps. Mao's technique fixes took so long partly because she had personal setbacks along the way. Tarasova was able to give Mao a quick-fix Lutz in just a few months, and her flip was serviceable by late 2011.

I got your program components right here. Pepe Nero's Avatar
    I think it's great news that KM plans to continue. Retirement from amateur skating would only make sense if she had decide she no longer enjoyed the sport; she has too much potential to quit otherwise.

Whether she should change her jump technique depends, in my view, on her own goals. Does she aspire to mainstream recognition in the sport right now? A few bronzes and silvers, when the judges are so-inclined? Yes? then she should change her jumping technique, so that it conforms to the feminine expectations of "ladies" FS.

Does she want to be revolutionary, or at least a favorite among those who will be recognized at some later time as challenging the rigid gender policing of FS? Yes? then she should flaunt that mule-kick, and any other aspects of her jump technique that are for purely cultural and arbitrary "reasons" considered un-feminine (i.e., un-GOE-worthy for persons in the ladies competition).

I hope that KM will follow in MA's footsteps: keep ignoring the unwritten rules of jumping in the discipline of ladies' FS.

As a footnote: Mao Asada kept doing the 3A even when her PCS went up when it disappeared from her programs, in the intervening years between 2010 and 2014. It's just my optimistic hypothesis that she cared more about her place in FS history than a few medals at competitions here and there.

Custom Title
    It was very clear at Worlds that Kanako's jumps were UR. She barely made it around and had weird landings on many of them. IMO she peaked at 4CC, was a bit off at Sochi and way off at Worlds. She was probably tired and stressed out at the end of a long, tough season. Yes, she has a bad jump technique and a tendency to UR her jumps and when she is tired or under stress it gets worse. If she doesn't address her problems, they are only going to get worse as she gets older. Miyahara also has UR problems, but seems to be somewhat more successful dealing with them. She is likely to pass Kanako as Japan #1 in the next year or two.

Custard Title
    Quote Originally Posted by cooper View Post
    i thought she was planning to retire??
    She was, but things have changed. After the Worlds LP, she was heard telling Mao "I'll work hard next season" or something similar. Everything she's said recently points to her staying for some time.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by CarneAsada View Post
    She was, but things have changed. After the Worlds LP, she was heard telling Mao "I'll work hard next season" or something similar. Everything she's said recently points to her staying for some time.
    Great news! Hope she can build. She'll likely lead the Japanese ladies for the next quad, but I wouldn't count Miyahara or Imai out completely either.