Left Ankle Pain | Golden Skate

Left Ankle Pain

tietzd83

Rinkside
I have this strange dilemma... recently I have been developing pain in only my left ankle during my skating session. The only thing I can think would be causing this is the amount of time practicing edges (specifically back inside and outside) for the pre-pre moves. Is this a boot problem or is there something that can be done to alleviate some of the discomfort?

IcyEdges

Match Penalty
I have this strange dilemma... recently I have been developing pain in only my left ankle during my skating session. The only thing I can think would be causing this is the amount of time practicing edges (specifically back inside and outside) for the pre-pre moves. Is this a boot problem or is there something that can be done to alleviate some of the discomfort?

Can you provide more info? What kind of skates are you wearing? How broken in are they? Do you wear bunga pads, or anything else while skating? I have much experience with ankle problems and skating, feel free to send me a DM if you would rather converse on this subject in that manner.

tietzd83

Rinkside
Thanks... I am currently skating with a year and a half old pair of Jackson Men's Marquis with an upgrade blade (MK Professional). As I am only about to take the pre pre moves test and not doing anything fancy, I figured I could still get some mileage out of the boot yet. Although I have thought about Bunga pads, I wasn't sure if they would be effective or not. I think I may start there. I just don't understand why it is happening only to one ankle? I'd appreciate any ideas/suggestions :)

sneakypie

Rinkside
My recommendation skate-wise would be to check that your blades are aligned properly and maybe talk to a good sharpener about your problem, mine did miracles for my outside edges.
Most people have a dominant foot, just like they have a dominant hand. If you are right-footed then your left foot is likely not used to strain as much as your right one, but practicing edges makes you use them equally. Strengthening exercises specifically for your left ankle, maybe with one of those stretchy rubberband things, could help (leg and hip may be weaker, too). Make sure you bend and align your left knee correctly and pay attention to your hip.