Jeremy Abbott ‘kind of on the fence’ about retiring | Golden Skate

Jeremy Abbott ‘kind of on the fence’ about retiring

Meoima

Match Penalty
The four-time U.S. champion is reconsidering a plan to walk away from competitive figure skating after the recently finished season. He cited his performance at the World Championships two weeks ago, where he finished fifth, as a motivator.
“Going through the whole week of worlds, I really felt like I could potentially compete another year,” said Abbott, smiling and wearing a colorful bow tie at a Figure Skating in Harlem event in Central Park on Monday night. “I’m kind of on the fence at the moment. I really need to take some time away from the sport and really meditate over it and mull things over inside. If I continue, what I would want to do it for and why.”
Source: http://olympictalk.nbcsports.com/2014/04/08/jeremy-abbott-figure-skating-retirement/

fleeting

Queen Anissina
Medalist
I love him. But dude, going too far. Go out with a great FS at Worlds, and feel proud you saved 3 men's spots for next year.

tulosai

Record Breaker
:laugh::popcorn:

If he does do this, I sincerely hope it is ONLY done for love of the sport, NOT because he has dreams of a world medal.

flutzy13

On the Ice
I knew he would get delusional and think he was entitled to one of the three spots he helped earned (and good for him for that) and this would happen after he had one decent international free skate. Ugh. I would rather have 2 spots and be done with Jeremy representing us internationally.

Krunchii

Record Breaker
He's 28/29 this year, he shouldn't push it anymore, he should end it on a good note

Jammers

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
He needs to retire. He is not going to somehow learn how to compete at almost 30 years of age plus he doesn't have the technical firepower to challenge these younger guys. I really want the older skaters to finally retire it's the new kids time and they showed in Sochi and Worlds they are more then ready to take over. If Jason gets a quad and Josh brings it next season Jeremy might not even finish in the top 3 at Nationals.

Suzzie

Rinkside
if he wants to keep skating, why not?! let him do it. he knows better what he want and what he can

WeakAnkles

Record Breaker
He needs to retire. He is not going to somehow learn how to compete at almost 30 years of age plus he doesn't have the technical firepower to challenge these younger guys. I really want the older skaters to finally retire it's the new kids time and they showed in Sochi and Worlds they are more then ready to take over. If Jason gets a quad and Josh brings it next season Jeremy might not even finish in the top 3 at Nationals.

He's like the Dorian Grey of Nationals though, isn't he? He chokes on a regular basis, then Nationals and he skates the best programs of his life, only to choke again come Worlds/Olympics. There must be some kind of painting or video in his attic of him at Nationals falling on his butt over and over.

Choreograph. He's got a real talent for it. And that way he may still have hips at 40.

Sk8Boi

Match Penalty
I hope that he will just leave very quietly and without fan fare.

Personally, I dislike his off-ice personality, his lack of nerve and confidence in competition, and his competitive programs are all sentimental nonsense (looking like you are going to cry and having angsty looks is not artistry) while flopping all over the ice trying to compete with the good jumpers.

Just please go quietly. Do. Not. Pass. Go. Do. Not. Collect. $200.00.

Well, Jeremy did not ask me for my advice, but if he had… ;)

I think his decision would be easier if he gave more thought to the direction that he wants his life to take after skaing, whether that transition begins next year, the year after, or whenever.

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
Well, Jeremy did not ask me for my advice, but if he had… ;)

I think his decision would be easier if he gave more thought to the direction that he wants his life to take after skaing, whether that transition begins next year, the year after, or whenever.

That's a good point. For Rachael Flatt, it was clearly quite easy for her to retire after Nationals because she knew that she would need to shift her focus on graduating from Stanford and starting up her medical school studies.

And though we don't have a retirement announcement from Meryl and Charlie, it wouldn't surprise me if they already had the conversation of what goals they wanted to achieve post-skating, which would make it easier to decide when it was time to move on.

I do get the sense that what's holding him back is that he feels he can score higher. His disappointment in the FS was very apparent despite scoring his personal best.

BlackPack

Medalist
He skated his best internationally including the quad which only amounted to 166ish points. This is the kind of marks that the usual medalists get when they fall. Granted, he had a few shaky landings and his choreography wasn't as challenging as some of the others.

In any case, how 166 given to a best international skate can give anyone confidence is beyond me.

166 is a clear messages from the judges they're not backing him in any shape or form.

Like some of the others have said already, it's time to think about what he wants to do with his life. Starting a new career when pushing 30 is tough enough.