Favorite SP this year? | Page 4 | Golden Skate

Favorite SP this year?

skatedreamer

Medalist
Country
United-States
If I had to choose just one, it would have to be Carolina's "Ave Maria." I've never been a Carolina fan (and have never liked the "Ave Maria" music, either), but she skated it so beautifully that I finally understood why so many people admire her skating so much.

Runners-up: Yuna's "Send in the Clowns" and D/W's "I Could Have Danced All Night."

BusyMom

Medalist
If I had to choose just one, it would have to be Carolina's "Ave Maria." I've never been a Carolina fan (and have never liked the "Ave Maria" music, either), but she skated it so beautifully that I finally understood why so many people admire her skating so much.

That's exactly how I feel about Caroline and Ave Maria. I always wonder what the big deal about Caro's skating until I saw her Ave Maria from her show around Christmas last year. She was injured during that time so it is more about her interpretation than the technical aspects. Then at the OG, her SP finally made me a fan. She showed us the beauty of her skating. I'm happy for her achievements this year after all disappointment earlier in the season.

For Ave Maria, it is a very difficult piece to skating to. So many skaters skated to it but only Caroline Zhang's program is the one I like.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3LpW3f5EYSs
(Her Lutz was the turn-off still)
The commentator said that Zhang plays the violin so she understood the music very well. But I also think since she is catholic this program was something she could connected with easily.

Otchoto de mus

Spectator
In addition to many already mentioned (Mao, Caro, Yuzu, C/L, V/M etc), Machida's East of Eden at Worlds gave me chills.

same here,

my favorite SP of the Year

Mao ASADA's nocturne at worlds
Tatsuki MACHIDA East of Eden at Worlds
Yuzuru Hanyu at the olympics

LiamForeman

William/Uilyam
Medalist
By FAR is Jason Brown's program to Prince. It was an extremely risky and nontraditional program and he brought that program to life.

leoncorazon

Skating on through
On the Ice
Country
United-States
Brown's prince short was amazing as was Yuna's Send in the Clowns...

IcyEdges

Match Penalty
Kaetlyn Osmond-Big Spender, etc...
Jeremy Abbott-Lilies of the the Valley
Ashley Wagner-Pink Floyd
Gracie Gold-3 Preludes
Hubbell/Donohue-SD to Big Bad Voodoo Daddy medley

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
Oh, and I wanted to add:

Brendan Kerry.

I saw this program done absolutely clean and it was STUNNING. If he'd done it that way at the Olympics, his qualification for the LP wouldn't have even been in question, IMO.

Sam-Skwantch

“I solemnly swear I’m up to no good”
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Most Respectable/Least Criticized SP

Matthew Parr Sochi team event?

skateluver

Rinkside
Mao Asada - Nocturne (The best ever and deserved world record)
Yuna Kim - Send in the clowns (Classy, cool, elegant, Yuna at her best)
Akiko Suzuki - Hymne a l'amour (Touching)
Yuzuru Hanyu - Parisienne walkways (Perfection)
Ashley Wagner - Shine on you crazy diamond (Original, suits her perfectly)
V/T - Masquerade Waltz (Love his crazy officer look and her beauty; I have to say though that I wish she made sure that her hair doesn't come loose during performances. It sometimes does and at that point their perfect look is gone..)

There were many others as well, but these are my top 6!!

TMC

Record Breaker
Most Respectable/Least Criticized SP

Matthew Parr Sochi team event?

I was so impressed by that! Thought I was the only one since I haven't seen anyone else talk about his performance... He's retired now :(

aschiutza

On the Ice
- Yuzu at oly team competition - no need to add anything, so much spark, so much joy and power
- V/T Masquerade Waltz - everything was in place, everything
- Plushenko at oly team competition - it was like looking at King Theoden going to his last battle (wish Plushenko would have choose LOTR music )
- i liked loads of dance SP at the olys, the music had inspired many dancers to glow.

Lota

Record Breaker
There were a lot of great ones this year, like Carolina's or Machida's, the one that stood out to me was Pang/Tong's Lady Caliph. I don't know why, it just stuck with me.

JayW

Final Flight
the one that stood out to me was Pang/Tong's Lady Caliph. I don't know why, it just stuck with me.

Yes, Lady Caliph SP represents elegance, maturity, struggle, saddness and finally peacefulness of their skating.

Pattina

On the Ice
Men Daisuke - impressive pathos and interpretation - IMO pity he never gained 10s he deserved)
Tatsuki

Ladies Akiko
Carolina

Shina

Spectator
Men: Machida, Kovtun, Verner
Ladies: Kim, Kostner, Osmond
Pair: Pang/Tong, Duhamel/Radford, Stolbova/Klimov
Ice Dance: Virtue/Moir, Paul/Islam, Chock/Bates