Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: Sotnikova wants to add quadruple toe loop?

Custard Title
    Quote Originally Posted by jkun View Post
    I don't think she could control her jumps enough to do the 3F-1Lo-3S anyway...
    Yeah, none of her jumps are particularly attractive or controlled though she has lots of power. I don't understand why people think 3-1Lo-3S combos can be learned so easily.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by CarneAsada View Post
    Yeah, none of her jumps are particularly attractive or controlled though she has lots of power. I don't understand why people think 3-1Lo-3S combos can be learned so easily.
    I don't think anyone thinks that they are easy to learn! I don't think the combination gets enough points for its difficulty. Maybe its from seeing Hanyu have basically no speed coming out of the 3Lz, and somehow pull out a 3S.

but that's just because he's hanyu...

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by jkun View Post
    I don't think she could control her jumps enough to do the 3F-1Lo-3S anyway...
    I agree... her flip landing lacks flow and she's not the type who can pull a 3S out of thin air like the Russian babies or Edmunds, given how she usually executes 3S.

Custom Title
    Half loop combinations works for who doesn't have good double axels (Pogorilaya,Radionova,Edmunds) Sotnikova have 2A+3T unlike those skaters and actually with half loop you are giving couple of points because of 2T base value higher than half loop base value.

If two 2A+3T are allowed (Lipnitskaia did in her junior years) this layout could work for her.

4toe or 3lutz
    2axel+3toe+2toe
    3flip
    3loop
    2axel+3toe
    3flip+2toe+2toe
    3salchow

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by pangtongfan View Post
    Her 3 toe is by far her strongest and highest triple, and it is by far the easiest quad too, so obviously that is the one to try if she is going to do. Someone like Ando did the quad salchow since the 3 salchow was her strongest jump
    I do wonder about whether the 4T or 4S is easier for women. Bonaly (unsuccessfully) tried both, and Cohen and Ando attempted the 4S. I'm not aware of any other quad attempts but it is interesting that all the women who have tried quads have tried the 4S.

I don't imagine Adelina being able to do either quad because her 3T isn't very straight and her 3S isn't one of her best jumps.

Custom Title
    I want to see it first to believe it. Right now this is just for media attention.
    Personally I think that she should polish her existing technical elements first before doing something that will cause her more injuries. Trying to do something dangerous might affect her existing array of technical elements. Like how Mao's 3A affected her other jumps.

When she was little, Mao practiced quad salchow (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1yEgPt-faII) and quad loop (I can't find a clip but it's somewhere on YouTube), and as I understand it, practicing the quad salchow made her lose her timing on her triple salchow, and I think it took her a long time to get the triple salchow back. So I think someone who practices a triple-axel or quad jump will risk losing the same jump done with less rotation for a while at least.

But when I see Mao's triple salchow now, she almost over-rotates this jump, and I wish I could see her trying a quad salchow again. Still, I think a quad jump is enormously difficult for even the most athletically gifted of women, and it would require a whole lot of training, and doing a great deal of the jump with pristine technique, for a woman to pull it off, I think.

So many people are prone to dissing Mao's axel technique, but in fact, her technique is really, really good, and that's why she can do a triple-axel.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3