Australia to return to the Ice Dance Wilderness with heads held high! | Golden Skate

Australia to return to the Ice Dance Wilderness with heads held high!

GF2445

Record Breaker
In a statement made on their facebook page, 7-Times Australian National Champions Danielle O'Brien and Gregory Merriman have retired after a competitive career spanning 12 years.
Here is their statement.

Danielle O'Brien & Gregory Merriman

Like they say, all good things come to an end and as the 2013/14 season draws to a close so too does our 12 year competitive career for Australia.

This year we earned the honour of becoming Australian Olympians and having received so much support from around the world we would like to say a big THANK YOU for your words of encouragement and best wishes!

None of this could have been achieved without the support of our coaching team over the years! To our first coach Monica MacDonald, thank you for your inspiration, for teaching us to dream big and for your ongoing support over the past 16 years. To the late Andrei Filippov, our encyclopaedia of figure skating, you challenged us to aim higher and we skate for your memory every day. To John Marsden, thanks for kicking our butts into shape off the ice. And Victor Kraatz, thank you for sharing your love of skating and giving us the courage to take the leap to pursue our dreams in Detroit.

This brings us to our current coaching team Massimo Scali, Elizabeth Swallow, Natalia Deller, Pasquale Camerlengo & Angelika Krylova. With your knowledge, guidance and support we achieved our Olympic dream and have become the most successful Australian Ice Dance team in history.

Thanks to our team mates who inspired us day in day out to become the best athletes we could be! We look forward to following your success in the coming seasons!

Ice Skating Australia and the Olympic Winter Institute of Australia, thank you for the confidence you showed in our ability and for enabling the means for us to achieve our goals.

Finally a big thanks to our family and friends who have been with us every step of the way!

We will greatly miss the competitive side of the sport and look forward to future opportunities within and beyond the figure skating world!

:cry::cry: They will be missed

:points::party:But for what they achieved, their retirement is well earned.

Australia now has no Senior Ice Dancers so it's back to the wilderness for now...

elle_e

On the Ice
Actually Australia has at least three other pairs of senior ice dancers- they just aren't at the international scale of competitions yet.

blue_idealist

Record Breaker
Kinda sad about this. I thought they might continue after finally making an Olympics. Well, not "finally," but it seemed like they had been around for awhile.

fleeting

Queen Anissina
Medalist
I was never a huge fan, but they'll be missed. Their LP was fun to watch this year...
I hope another Australian team manages to bump up to the international scale!

WeakAnkles

Record Breaker
To me they were the Ruby Keeler and Dick Powell of ID. Not technically the best, but they had a very fresh ingenue charm to their presentation that was always enjoyable to watch. I'll miss them and wish them well in all their future endeavors.

Ryan O

Final Flight
Country
Canada
Actually Australia has at least three other pairs of senior ice dancers- they just aren't at the international scale of competitions yet.

Yes, but that's the sticking point. In order to be a contender in the sport, Australia needs to have a competitive team that can qualify internationally. So the retirement of Dani & Greg is an unfortunate loss that can't be easily replaced.

GGoldberg

Match Penalty
Jonathan Guerrero (Russian ice dancer who has competed on the Grand Prix circuit but has been unable to medal at Russian Nationals at the senior level) was born in Australia. He should find a suitable partner and attempt to represent Australia if he wants to improve his chances of competing internationally in the second half of each season.

Possum Glider

Rinkside

From the marks of the Liverpool senior couple getting 25.69 for their free dance one can only ask how that passed the test to qualify, scores for Skating skills can only be presumed at being generous. This couple at 22& 23 are way behind where they need to be if their aim is to break into international skating.

Yes Dani and Greg will be missed as international representatives, hoping to see them remain on the ice in some capacity.

TontoK

Hot Tonto
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Yes, but that's the sticking point. In order to be a contender in the sport, Australia needs to have a competitive team that can qualify internationally. So the retirement of Dani & Greg is an unfortunate loss that can't be easily replaced.

Yes. As someone who wants to see our sport grow globally in places without a strong tradition, I have to say this retirement hurts.

Dani and Greg may not have broken into the very highest ranks internationally, but they laid the groundwork for dance in Australia. That is so important.

Without a credible couple to take the baton, all progress could be lost.

It's sort of like Yuna Kim. She was a groundbreaker in Korea... and it appears that up and coming skaters are ready to continue forging a new tradition.

In any event, I wish them well.

I wouldn't be too pessimistic. There is currently a serious investment in a young junior couple that will have their first outing this year. I have heard they have trained in Russia, or one of them at least. I think there was a change of partner or something but I don't really know the back story.

GF2445

Record Breaker
I wouldn't be too pessimistic. There is currently a serious investment in a young junior couple that will have their first outing this year. I have heard they have trained in Russia, or one of them at least. I think there was a change of partner or something but I don't really know the back story.

That's really exciting to hear! I'm definitely not in the loop in the Australian Skating World so it's great to hear that there is something developing.