Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast

Thread: Imagining alternative partners in pairs/dance

Rinkside

Imagining alternative partners in pairs/dance

I recently had a dream in which Tessa Virtue and Scott Moir did an exhibition dance with Evan Bates (dreams are strange). Tessa and Evan were wonderful to watch together and dream me was wondering what could have been if they had skated together all along... I woke up and was confused.

It got me thinking about alternative partners. Are there any skaters you think could have or could have had more interesting or successful careers with other partners? It might be fun to consider skaters from different eras.

Custom Title
    I always wanted Sasha Cohen to go into pairs skating after her singles career If we can pick from any era, I think I'd pick John Zimmerman as her partner

Custom Title
    What an interesting question, and a lot harder to answer than I would have thought. My favorite pairs/ice dance teams have such strong chemistry between each other that it's almost impossible to imagine them with anyone else at first. I'll have to push myself.

Once years ago, in the first "Skates of Gold" program (which was televised), all the gold-medal pairs skated an ensemble number in which after an interval, the pairs broke up and skated with other partners. I still remember Gordeyeva skating toward Artur Dmitriev with a big smile and then performing briefly with him. It was fascinating to watch. The pairs may even have switched off another time or two during that number. I don't remember whether the ice dancers did a similar program.

One rather provocative switch occurs to me: Christopher Dean skating with Isabelle Duchesnay. Of course it would have to be before their volatile marriage broke up.

Custom Title
    A role-reversal pairs team, of Mae Berenice Meite, and Florent Amodio.

They would be AWESOME together.

Custom Title
    I would have liked to have seen John and Sinead Kerr skate with other people, although who those other people would be isn't coming to mind at the moment.

Bored
    My fantasy's exausted but thanks for yours:

Quote Originally Posted by YesWay View Post

Quote Originally Posted by PlaysInTheDirt View Post
    I would have liked to have seen John and Sinead Kerr skate with other people, although who those other people would be isn't coming to mind at the moment.
    I would just have liked to have seen John and Sinead Kerr skate... again :sigh:

Ditto regarding Artur Dmitriev and Katia. While Sergei was always considered one of the hottest men in skating, he didn't have Artur's creativity and passion.

I think Tessa and Andrew Poje would be gorgeous together but obviously she would be the better skater.

Ben Agosto would do well with many different ladies.

Sometimes it's the partnering that makes all the difference, especially in the case of Volosozhar and Trankov. They struggled in the ranks with their other partners and together they won gold.

With someone steely and determined like Irina Rodnina, she could probably win gold with anyone.

I think Meryl would also work well with any male skater.

Maia Usova/Zhulin and Grishuk and Platov switched each other, and they didn't do so well in the pro circuit. If I recall correctly, people mocked them when Grishuk and Zhulin skated to Smooth Operator.

As for Berezhnaya and Sikharulidze and Shen and Zhao... they're really made for each other on the ice and off in the case of S&Z. I can't imagine them partnered to anyone else.

Size 7 Knife Boots Sam-Skwantch's Avatar
    I let my mind go blank and the first pair that pooped in my mind was.

Denise Beillman / Kurt Browning ...now that would be an interesting pair.

Currently skating I think Yulia and Yuzuru would be unstoppable. Although the cute factor may be too much for some here to bear.

It's apparent that I watch mostly singles skating

Banned
    Currently skating I think Yulia and Yuzuru would be unstoppable.
    they were paired together in the gala! they looked like two kids at their first middle school dance holding each other with at least three feet of space between them, it was hilarious

Yulia and Yuz together It's not just cute. Together, they emanate this innocence and purity. First love sort of thing.

Rinkside
    Quote Originally Posted by Sam-Skwantch View Post

Currently skating I think Yulia and Yuzuru would be unstoppable. Although the cute factor may be too much some here to bear.
    My favorite pairing so far!

Mao and Dai

Rinkside
    Quote Originally Posted by YesWay View Post

That would be fantastic!

Quote Originally Posted by BlackPack View Post
    I think Tessa and Andrew Poje would be gorgeous together but obviously she would be the better skater.
    I think that amount of gorgeousness combined would be too much for the world to handle.

Quote Originally Posted by Olympia View Post
    What an interesting question, and a lot harder to answer than I would have thought. My favorite pairs/ice dance teams have such strong chemistry between each other that it's almost impossible to imagine them with anyone else at first. I'll have to push myself.
    Thanks, yes I think it's difficult because you can't help but associate one partner solely with the other.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by I♥Yuna View Post
    I always wanted Sasha Cohen to go into pairs skating after her singles career If we can pick from any era, I think I'd pick John Zimmerman as her partner
    Wow. Now that US pair would be interesting!

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by NYscorp6 View Post
    Wow. Now that US pair would be interesting!
    Their exhibition tricks would be awesome b/c he's so tall, and she's even tinier than Kyoko! (maybe they could do the iron lotus ) and for competitions, maybe a quad twist and quad throws lol.

Sam mentioned Kurt Browning - he's be a great match for Sasha as far as artistry - good expression, perfect posture, and stuff... Also, I'd put Denise Bielman with Artur Dmitriev

Quote Originally Posted by BlackPack View Post
    Yulia and Yuz together
    They're adorable Also found a cute pic w/Zijun Li http://i789.photobucket.com/albums/y...unYuzuru-1.jpg

Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast