Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Thread: What is refined skating?

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by gettinglow View Post
    Irina Slutskaya...the thought of her skating induces shudders. I think it's safe to say Slutskaya was anti-refinement incarnate.
    Slutskaya was unrefined, but still had some presence and "finish" to her skating. She's not like a Bonaly for example whose skating was absolutely sloppy but whose elements and attack were wonderful to watch.

Irina was unrefined but did achieve moments of beauty and glory in her skating. Around 2000 she was transformed and had a new feminine energy. My favorite program of hers is her Schubert SP which disguised her general lack of refinement. Bonaly was also exciting to watch, and she is the only one who can land a backflip on one foot. I like the variety of styles. You couldn't help but root for Irina. She was a great champion.

Landing 3As in my dreams! skatedreamer's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by BlackPack View Post
    Irina was unrefined but did achieve moments of beauty and glory in her skating. Around 2000 she was transformed and had a new feminine energy. My favorite program of hers is her Schubert SP which disguised her general lack of refinement. Bonaly was also exciting to watch, and she is the only one who can land a backflip on one foot. I like the variety of styles. You couldn't help but root for Irina. She was a great champion.
    Irina often looked terribly clunky to me and I always wanted her to develop some of the elegance of the great Russian pairs and ice dancers. Your last 2 sentences pretty much sum it up, though -- she had a quality that always made me want to root for her.

Custom Title
    Jeffrey Buttle, Robin Cousins, Brian Boitano, Brian Orser,Todd Eldredge, Michelle Kwan, Dorothy Hamill.

Yulia forver! I'm on team dumped Ice Dance. Alba's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by gettinglow View Post
    Irina Slutskaya...the thought of her skating induces shudders. I think it's safe to say Slutskaya was anti-refinement incarnate.

I love when Jenny and Dave from TSL interviewed Frank Carroll, and he flat out said "I don't think Irina was a very beautiful skater." It was hilarious in its accuracy and honesty. Gotta love Frank!!
    I loved Irina. She was an athlete and loved her jumps. Kwan is my fav. lady of all times but you don't necessary have to be a beautiful skater. Tbh she also tried a lot to work on her body lines etc. but she could never had those beautiful lines like some other skaters. Her body was build in different manner, and some of her music choice didn't help either.
    The best skaters for me are those who fully use and play at their strength, whether this is the artistry or technique.

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7