What is refined skating? | Page 2 | Golden Skate

What is refined skating?

Meoima

Match Penalty
a refined skater is someone who doesn't look labored.. doesn't look awkward while moving.. in short looking effortless..
Very interesting definition. But the problem is, someone looks very easy on something, then look very tired on something else. Ie: Hanyu with his PW SP in which he looks so effortless, on the other hand, his LP is the opposite. Of course , Hanyu is nowhere near refinement at the moment. I just want to say looking effortless does not always come with refinement.

jennyanydots

On the Ice
Maturity and experience has everything to do with refinement. It's just some are more naturally inclined to it while others have their limits. Caro in her early years was gangly and awkward but look at her now. I'm sure a lot of people consider Yuna refined but her movements now are smoother and more nuanced than they were at Vancouver. Also passionate doesn't necessarily mean unrefined, case in point Daisuke. Yuzuru isn't yet refined but that's actually part of his charm, especially demonstrated in his 2012 LP worlds performance. I think that's why he's difficult to package and develop. The wild rawness that's so appealing is invariably lost with refinement. Fans of Max Aaron will argue that a rough but dynamic performance is no less appealing than a smooth controlled sophisticated one. I guess it really comes down to taste and variety is good. If everyone skated the same way we would all be bored to death.

treeloving

Medalist
See Gordeeva Grinkov, they are perfect example no one can compare in term of refinement.

Another perfect example, Anton Sikharulidze - see the way he use his arm, keeping his body line, everything is perfectly straight.

I would not consider Daisuke and Yuna as perfectly refine.

volk

Final Flight
A refined skater, in my mind, is someone with deep edges, graceful arms, good posture, and skates with the music instead of "to" the music. They complete each move instead of merely "doing it". A refined skater is one that can deliver an aesthetically pleasing performance, regardless of whether or not they hit the technical elements. I would call Sasha, Kostner, Chan and Takahashi refined skaters even if they're not technically consistent.

So basically refined and polished is same thing?

Miss Ice

Let the sky fall~
Medalist
a refined skater is someone who doesn't look labored.. doesn't look awkward while moving.. in short looking effortless..

*cough* Yuna *cough* I think she and Michelle Kwan are #1 in achieving the effortless look for both technicality (jumps AND spins) and artistry and skating skills. Sasha, Alyssa Czisny, etc are refined in one aspect but not the other (apart with being super inconsistent). Overall it's Yuna and MK definitely. :)

sky_fly20

Match Penalty
*cough* Yuna *cough* I think she and Michelle Kwan are #1 in achieving the effortless look for both technicality (jumps AND spins) and artistry and skating skills. Sasha, Alyssa Czisny, etc are refined in one aspect but not the other (apart with being super inconsistent). Overall it's Yuna and MK definitely. :)

Yuna ? :unsure:

sure she was a steely competitor with good skating skills but her stroking in edges isnt ideal, compare to Carolina's graceful fast skating,
Yuna also has flexed feet and her spins were not fast and great, Carolina has the best exit free leg position on jumps, that 3 loop to die for that Yuna only had for a limited time.
Carolina emotes as a real actress on the ice as compared to skating with a frowned eyebrow

so cough* Yuna is not refined

I would say Carolina maybe even Kwan, she had the best spirals and even with her tiny jumps they were effortless maybe except the flutz

Anna K.

Medalist
Country
Latvia
I've got an impression that it was Dick Button who added "refinement" to the skating terminology... so, didn't he happen to explain what it was according to him?

Meoima

Match Penalty
I've got an impression that it was Dick Button who added "refinement" to the skating terminology... so, didn't he happen to explain what it was according to him?
:biggrin: Uncle Dick is very fond of Kulik. So Kulik is a refined skater, I suppose, despite his choreography and costumes.

Anna K.

Medalist
Country
Latvia
:biggrin: Uncle Dick is very fond of Kulik. So Kulik is a refined skater, I suppose, despite his choreography and costumes.

Yeah well, it's hard to imagine a refined person who's awfully dressed but figure skaters might be an exception :scratch:

Did Uncle Dick ever specify what generally makes refinement a refinement? Like, without mentioning any names?

izradria

Rinkside
Yuna ? :unsure:

sure she was a steely competitor with good skating skills but her stroking in edges isnt ideal, compare to Carolina's graceful fast skating,
Yuna also has flexed feet and her spins were not fast and great, Carolina has the best exit free leg position on jumps, that 3 loop to die for that Yuna only had for a limited time.
Carolina emotes as a real actress on the ice as compared to skating with a frowned eyebrow

so cough* Yuna is not refined

I would say Carolina maybe even Kwan, she had the best spirals and even with her tiny jumps they were effortless maybe except the flutz
"She was a steely competitor with good skating skills." You have a talent for making someone like Yuna Kim sound so mediocre. *cough*It'd be funny if it wasn't so pathetic. Having a triple loop doesn't make a skater more refined than the other, and Carolina's spins are nothing to write home about either. Yuna's spins before she lost some of her flexibility post Vancouver were very nice imo. Her layback was top notch. Your never-ending objective to discredit Yuna in every way possible makes you look foolish. Carolina is a refined skater, as is Yuna.

Meoima

Match Penalty
I don't understand why some people waste their time for a certain hater, we all know our reasons would never reach his/her mind anyways.

sky_fly20

Match Penalty
"She was a steely competitor with good skating skills." You have a talent for making someone like Yuna Kim sound so mediocre. *cough*It'd be funny if it wasn't so pathetic. Having a triple loop doesn't make a skater more refined than the other, and Carolina's spins are nothing to write home about either. Yuna's spins before she lost some of her flexibility post Vancouver were very nice imo. Her layback was top notch. Your never-ending objective to discredit Yuna in every way possible makes you look foolish. Carolina is a refined skater, as is Yuna.

great, another bot :sarcasm:

no, Carolina is the closest definition of a refined/polished skater
the free leg exit on her jumps Yuna should have learned from never mind the lost 3 loop
also she needs to take presentation lesson from Carolina in contrast to using frowned eyebrow to display emotions

Yuna is a great skater but she is not refined

Jammers

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
great, another bot :sarcasm:

no, Carolina is the closest definition of a refined/polished skater
the free leg exit on her jumps Yuna should have learned from never mind the lost 3 loop
also she needs to take presentation lesson from Carolina in contrast to using frowned eyebrow to display emotions

Yuna is a great skater but she is not refined

Didn't stop Yuna from beating Carolina most every time they have skated against each other for the last 6 years did it?