Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread: Ice Skating community needs to regain control of our sport - Petition to remove Cinquanta

Custom Title
    Did I miss this or wasn't there already a thread on this?
    Am I imagining multiple threads because I swear I've seen this petition posted before!

Is that petition site ever mean anything?

Didn't Yuna get like 1 and half million signed petition lool

tripping on the toe pick
    Blast from the past: http://usatoday30.usatoday.com/sport...uncement_x.htm

I'm sceptical about anything changing anytime soon, but even futile protesting is better than apathy and quiet acceptance of status quo. What else can we do as fans but voice our concern and sign petitions that most probably get ignored by an authoritarian and secretive governing body? Any well-connected billionaires here who could pull strings and bribe people in positions of power? Yeah, I didn't think so.

Custom Title
    The new system has resulted in more political and reputation-based judging than ever before, with skaters being held up, resulting in scandal after scandal.
    Really ? I thinked that nothing can beat 6.0 the most cheatable system in history

Bored
    Quote Originally Posted by HanDomi View Post
    Really ? I thinked that nothing can beat 6.0 the most cheatable system in history
    Only figure skating can beat figure skating

Quote Originally Posted by qwertyskates View Post
    Wow...this is really agenda driven and political! Frankly, CoP has made judging much more transparent than the 6.0 system. After all the death threats, online persecution and the lack of civility, I now support anonymity for judges because it seems it is open season on judges and attacks WILL be visited on their persons IF they ever dare to place certain skaters second! This is seriously beyond the pale.
    I’d say CoP has made the judging more understandable without making it more transparent (so, we can see how much each element costs but judges are free to cheat in GoE area). For me as a no-skater this is much better than 6.0; now, I can at least learn what FS is about.

However, I totally can’t see how keeping the judging anonymous might stop death threats, online persecution or lack of civility. We have all this already despite of anonymous judging. Quite the opposite, anonymity nurtures suspicion because judges are not in position to defend or clarify their marks in case they are correct. In fact, today a skater can’t shake hands or give a hug to a judge to thank for a good work because everyone is free to misinterpret that

Yulia and Ruslena team forever! Alba's Avatar
    I very much agree with different points (most of them) in this petition, especially kicking out Cinquanta.
    However, the point about Adelina undermines the purpose of the petition. I do not agree with the judges at Sochi, but calling out skaters like this is totally unprofessional and it ruins the whole message which is supposed to be more important than the ladies event in Sochi.
    There is already a petition about Sotnikova vs Yuna Kim judging.
    This petition is full of rhetoric and personal perspective, which is unacceptable for me.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Blades of Passion View Post
    What do you find petty about what was written about Adelina in the petition?

The general idea is that nobody thinks Adelina should have scored as high as she did, even if they think she deserved to win. The petition is not stating that Adelina robbed Kim or Kostner. It's stating there was a clear case of judging fraud and/or incompetence on display, and that Cinquanta has done nothing but ignore it. Perhaps the petition could have slightly better wording, but the points are pretty clear.
    Yup and skating faces a whole host of other issues. It has never been more irrelevant to American audiences. You can barely catch figure skating competitions on tv anymore. There are issues with how judges are selected and trained. One thing I'd like to see is some kind of reality/docu type show that covers skaters in the off season. Like take us into their training process, let us get to know their personalities, and teach audiences about the technical aspects sport.

Skating is art, if you let it be. Blades of Passion's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by nimi View Post
    Unfortunately money blocked the 2002 attempt.

But now the ISU has no money.

Custom Title

True, but I don't think the IOC cares much about the judging. They recognize that figure skating is a niche sport except at the Olympics, and casual fans are always going to watch figure skating at the Games regardless of whether they like the judging. Since the IOC isn't particularly impacted on whether something like Skate Canada gets good television ratings in 2016, they aren't incentivized to initiate any sort of major changes that impact figure skating outside of the Olympics.

just call me K or Art jockey

Was it all about the money? I always had the impression the big federations were afraid to make that leap of faith.
    The WSF counted on the USFSA to join in quickly, then maybe Canada to follow, and then go from there. As it happened, the project never really gained momentum. Even if both NA feds had joined the cause it would have been very difficult to get all the rest onboard, as there was no immediate clear incentive or benefit for every fed involved, apart from idealistic stuff, I mean.

Custom Title
    signed.

I don't think the ISU can or should be saved in its current form. The quicker it goes belly up the quicker a better organization (devoted to figure skating alone) can be built. If skating has to miss an olympics or two then too bad better no skating than more Sochi style judging.

this makes sense , so count me in.

Quote Originally Posted by HanDomi View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Anna K. View Post
    Only figure skating can beat figure skating

Custom Title
    I wonder how the Speed skating world feels about him. It's not like that sport has been thriving on a global scale.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast