Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast
Results 46 to 60 of 81

Thread: Ice Skating community needs to regain control of our sport - Petition to remove Cinquanta

  1. #46
    Yulia forver! I'm on team dumped Ice Dance. Alba's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Location
    Milan
    Posts
    2,642
    Quote Originally Posted by Anna K. View Post
    WSF wanted to represent everyone but seems that they ended up representing no one when the hour came. A bit too big bite and too much risk I’d say.
    Did they try to have the support of the skating in general, like speed skating, or just the figure skating?

  2. #47
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    1,011
    Quote Originally Posted by Alba View Post
    Did they try to have the support of the skating in general, like speed skating, or just the figure skating?
    It was all about figure skating.

  3. #48
    On the Ice
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    28
    Signed.

    I'm afraid Cinquanta and other people at ISU and IOC won't respond to this protest at all, but still it's better trying anyway than not doing anything.

  4. #49
    Banned
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Posts
    1,212
    Quote Originally Posted by wolkenschloss View Post
    Signed.

    I'm afraid Cinquanta and other people at ISU and IOC won't respond to this protest at all, but still it's better trying anyway than not doing anything.
    The only way figure skating will ever be changed is if another sanctioning body is created and usurps the ISU.

    ...with Cinquanta etc. and all of the current federation heads banned for life.

  5. #50
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    4,147
    ISU is almost bankrupt so a new organization should be taking over shortly. I look forward to it. I wonder if they will go bankrupt before his term even runs out in 2 years time.

  6. #51
    Love popcorn, hate horrendous costumes. Meoima's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Location
    North of the world
    Posts
    2,808
    Quote Originally Posted by pangtongfan View Post
    ISU is almost bankrupt so a new organization should be taking over shortly. I look forward to it. I wonder if they will go bankrupt before his term even runs out in 2 years time.
    Do you have any source about their finances?

  7. #52
    Tripping on the Podium
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Posts
    66
    What do you want , a new angelic organization ? 2 figure skating associations with 2 world championships such as Miss Monde and Miss Univers ?
    The best would be to remove any competition in figure skating ...figure skating could be confined to galas... this is what many viewers think , who do not understand the figure skating complexity but love to see beautiful programs.

  8. #53
    Tripping on the Podium
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Posts
    66
    I do not understand this kind of petition. Of course, fans, opponents or not opponents have the right to express their ideas.
    The decision belongs to the federation members, and nothing proves that they will agree at the next Congress with what is at this stage only proposals to be discussed !
    Is a "decision" has been taken ?
    When you read Cinquanta , he wrote " I therefore feel -committed to make a summary of proposals already expressed ... those interested can have the opportunity to give consideration in case they wish to do so. Allow me to state first of all that it deals with personal opinions."
    A proposal and a personal opinion are not decisions , we can not condemn someone to make suggestions and express an opinion , and more demand his resignation !
    Of course, I obviously hope the skaters, coaches, skating clubs , first discuss the proposals and then communicate their opinion to their federation.
    It is unhealthy lobbying that goes through petitions whose "a part of the content" goes far beyond a simple response to proposals and openly turns to condemnation. Makes you wonder if these opponents do not have other reasons and another goal ...

  9. #54
    Custom Title Mathman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    Detroit, Michigan
    Posts
    28,083
    Quote Originally Posted by Meoima View Post
    Do you have any source about their finances?
    Everything points to a serious contraction in the financial health of the organization, which has steadily declined for more than a decade now. We know for sure that television revenue for the ISU has all but dried up everywhere except Japan. Prize money has been considerably reduced and in particular the end-of-the-year bonus for top skaters had been eliminated altogether. The number of judges at the Olympics was reduced this year (by executive fiat, even though constitutionally the change required a vote of the Congress).

    Most telling, though, is the list of proposals that outgoing (in 2016) president Cinquanta is offering for consideration. Eliminate the short program in figure skating. This would save money. Combine junior and senior worlds. This would save money. Eliminate some of the distances in speed skating. This would save money. Make speed skating tracks smaller. All of these proposals would save money at the cost of diminishing ice sports generally.

    Quote Originally Posted by petitefleur
    I do not understand this kind of petition. Of course, fans, opponents or not opponents have the right to express their ideas.
    The decision belongs to the federation members, and nothing proves that they will agree at the next Congress with what is at this stage only proposals to be discussed !
    There are two different petitions. This one says that Mr. Cinquanta should resign because overall he is a bad fellow. The other petition zeros in on the most recent proposals, especially the suggestion to sacrifice the short program. I do not see how this particular proposal can possibly fly. Cinquanta's argument is that other sports do not have short programs and we could always put more required elements in the long program and kill two birds with one stone. (Why subject audiences to so much skating? )

    This rationale is so silly that there must be a real reason -- no money. I suppose conceivably Cinquanta might convince the Congress that, indeed, there is no money and hence no choice.

  10. #55
    Tripping on the Podium
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Posts
    66
    Quote Originally Posted by wolkenschloss View Post
    Signed.

    I'm afraid Cinquanta and other people at ISU and IOC won't respond to this protest at all, but still it's better trying anyway than not doing anything.
    you are still wrong ! ISU is obliged to process the request and respond

  11. #56
    Custom Title Mathman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    Detroit, Michigan
    Posts
    28,083
    Quote Originally Posted by Petitefleur View Post
    you are still wrong ! ISU is obliged to process the request and respond
    The ISU is under no such obligation.

    This petition asks Mr. Cinquanta to resign. The only conceivable "response" he might make is, "no."

  12. #57
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Posts
    346
    Well most likely he's going to ignore this petition as well. But still it's better than nothing and puts more pressure on ISU. If you haven't signed the petition yet, do it NOW -> https://www.change.org/en-GB/petitio...-skating-union You can also choose not to display your name (if this is a problem for someone..)

  13. #58
    Tripping on the Podium
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Posts
    66
    this is exactly what I said previousl and I couldn't sign because it was biased: in this change.org petition, there are 2 different requests :
    - a critical part of the proposed changes
    - and another, in the conclusion, calls for his resignation.
    You have to read all along. The two do not go together ethically, because you no longer have the choice! you can be against the proposals made by Cinquanta, but not be willing to ask for his resignation. I get all change.org petitions I sign almost all petitions for animals ... I could sign it if it was not biased.
    You will have a answer for the first part of the petition only. The resignation is another matter of fact

  14. #59
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Posts
    346
    It could have been formulated in a better way, that's true. But is there really someone actually in favour of him continuing as president??


    Quote Originally Posted by Petitefleur View Post
    this is exactly what I said previousl and I couldn't sign because it was biased: in this change.org petition, there are 2 different requests :
    - a critical part of the proposed changes
    - and another, in the conclusion, calls for his resignation.
    You have to read all along. The two do not go together ethically, because you no longer have the choice! you can be against the proposals made by Cinquanta, but not be willing to ask for his resignation. I get all change.org petitions I sign almost all petitions for animals ... I could sign it if it was not biased.
    You will have a answer for the first part of the petition only. The resignation is another matter of fact

  15. #60
    Tripping on the Podium
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Posts
    66
    no one is perfect nor irreplaceable , I am not against or for Cinquanta, and what he did is not too bad
    - Creation of the ISU Grand Prix figure skating.
    - Creation of the World Championships Single Distance Speed ​​Skating .
    - Four Continents Championships Figure Skating
    - World Championships Synchronized
    - Introduction Male 1500m and 1500m speed skating women's short track .
    - Implementation of the new scoring system in figure skating (I agree personaly)
    - Introduction of the pursuit by male and female staff in the program of the Olympic speed skating
    - Creation of the World Championships Figure Skating Team (I do not agree personaly)
    - Introduction to the 2014 Olympic Winter Games in Sochi in a team event in figure skating. (I do not agree personaly)

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •