Plushenko:" Kovtun is a good average skater " | Page 12 | Golden Skate

Plushenko:" Kovtun is a good average skater "

nimi

Medalist
The Dynamics of the men for team Russia seem more hostile over all than other countries.
You would never hear Chan say 'Oh, Kevin is just average' even if it's true. -And Chan has said some doozies in his lifetime. You wouldn't hear Daiskue say of Machida or Kozuka 'They are average'. Maybe the Russians thrive on subtle, and not so subtle put-downs of each other.
If you are right, it makes threads like these even more silly. Russian skater interviewed in Russian media saying things about a Russian colleague that are at odds with Anglo-American cultural standards and discursive practices! Oh the horror! :rolleye: (Any actual Russians here who would care to weigh in?)

GGoldberg

Match Penalty
More "PR" brilliance from Plushenko. Saying potentially offensive or misinterpret able comments which capture media attention and the ire (more attention) of various fans, keeps him in the spotlight. Politically correct, looking distinguished and becoming the admired ambassador is not what keeps someone in the headlines.

Interspectator

Record Breaker
If you are right, it makes threads like these even more silly. Russian skater interviewed in Russian media saying things about a Russian colleague that are at odds with Anglo-American cultural standards and discursive practices! Oh the horror! :rolleye: (Any actual Russians here who would care to weigh in?)

-Not just Anglo-American, Japan too :) So are there any Russians who care to talk about what is considered polite and impolite? -Broadly speaking of course.

Buttercup

Record Breaker
If Team Russia was Team Azerbaijan Plushenko would have been getting 5s and 6s for Components.
Most Russian skaters would fare worse on PCS if they were skating for Azerbaijan, Kovtun included. Makes you appreciate skaters from smaller federations who are able to break through

I don't think PChan would say disparaging words about his teammates. As for the Japanese men, it would be the end of the world if they say anything bad about each other. I don't know much about other teams, though. It's true that no one brings the drama like Russians. But personally I think people take their words too seriously. It's not like an opinion of a certain skater, now matter how famous he is, could affect the judges' decision.
Japanese skaters would never be rude about anyone. Chan has made interesting comments comments in the past about many skaters, though not Canadians (that I can recall). Evan and Johnny used to make :eek: comments about one another on occasion.

aschiutza

On the Ice
I cannot comment for Russia, but i know from another ex communist country. The most here hate PC, as is seen as lying most of the time. Some even don't like when the vendors are fake smiling. When you are made to lie, and the results would have been loads worse than losing some fans as in America, you appreciate the value of the truth. I preffer much more that a person will tell me the truth, even if i don't like it, that to lie to me and do things behind my back. It is a cultural thing, like in Japan hardly telling directly "No".

I know that in many countries to tell directly the truth, may be inconvenient. But i don't like to read interviews where skaters are only Disney-princess like. Boring. If that's the way they really are, fine. But most of the poeple are not. They have their own oppinion, even negative ones. Why would interest me to read not their opinion but a fake PC one only that the person would have a fake "gracious" shine?

After that complaining that FS has no many fans. Why would some bother with this fake world?

Interspectator

Record Breaker
Thank you for this insight into another culture most interesting and informative!
-These are polite words from a Japanese...but they are 100% truthful.

baterka

Spectator
well, coming from an ex.communist country myself ... I can´t really see whats the big deal about. :scratch:
he was asked a question and his answer was not overly polite but nowhere near as rude/disrespectful as some of you want to believe it was. Actually, in my country no-one would even wink at this type of comment.

Cultural differences? - of course. practically what aschitza wrote in her/his comment.

Meoima

Match Penalty
well, coming from an ex.communist country myself ... I can´t really see whats the big deal about. :scratch:
he was asked a question and his answer was not overly polite but nowhere near as rude/disrespectful as some of you want to believe it was. Actually, in my country no-one would even wink at this type of comment.

Cultural differences? - of course. practically what aschitza wrote in her/his comment.
It is really different in my country, I guess it's Asian things. But I can relate to you. I don't think what Plushy said is a big deal or insult.

[email protected]

Medalist
Record Breaker
I know that in many countries to tell directly the truth, may be inconvenient. But i don't like to read interviews where skaters are only Disney-princess like. Boring. If that's the way they really are, fine. But most of the poeple are not. They have their own oppinion, even negative ones. Why would interest me to read not their opinion but a fake PC one only that the person would have a fake "gracious" shine?

Russia is in general indifferent towards PC. Some things are not tolerated but they are quite specific. On the other hand, I do not see it as a pure cultural thing. People in the West are born now in the PC environment so that they tend to think it is normal. Same as we in the USSR truly believed that we were the happiest people on earth, and US was evil - it was just the upbringing. One could see it in "free areas". Brothers Gallagher alone said so many nasty things about fellow musicians publicly that one would hardly collect from all the Russian musicians. As for Pluschenko, he has to be defensive due to the situation he fell into. And I see no reasons he had to praise Kovtun after he was provoked by the journalist. I wish he just dropped the word "average".

pangtongfan

Match Penalty
BTW, Kovtun did not earn that spot, other than in the sense of only earning one spot. The Russian fed uses criteria other than just Nationals - as most countries do. If anyone was robbed, it was Sergei Voronov.

Voronov was robbed of the Olympics twice. He was robbed even worse in 2010. Nobody should even talk about Kovtun after coming 5th at Europeans. It is a total joke anyone would dare say he was robbed of the Olympics.

If Team Russia was Team Azerbaijan Plushenko would have been getting 5s and 6s for Components.

Yeah and what would Kovtun get for components skating for Azerbaijen. Still 8s, keep dreaming.

plushyfan

Record Breaker
Country
Hungary
More "PR" brilliance from Plushenko. Saying potentially offensive or misinterpret able comments which capture media attention and the ire (more attention) of various fans, keeps him in the spotlight. Politically correct, looking distinguished and becoming the admired ambassador is not what keeps someone in the headlines.

He was awarded on that day. Plushenko got Badge of honor "For the merit to St. Petersburg" http://evgeni-plushenko.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=6&p=83293#p83293 Do you think he wants more capture media attention? He was asked and he answered.

Appearance of the athletes in the Russian media during the Games:
First : Evgeni Plushenko cca 18000
Second: Maxim Trankov cca 10.000

This is the original interview https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FfnrP8aPGJE
Short translation of Plushy's statement to journalists, at today's reception of St. Petersburg's governor, where Petersburg's Olympians were rewarded ...

- inter-vertebral disc is coalesced and everything is OK
- he will start training for the shows for 1,5-2 months
- about his successors: Plushy congratulated Menshov and Voronov for Europeans.... Kovtun is good, but a average skater - Plushy dont see in him any "super-technique", we will see what will happen with him in the future... In Russia, a promising juniors is Alexander Petrov, Adyan Pitkeev.... Yuzuru Hanyu - which is only 19 years old, has grandiose programs, super-technique, charisma. He is the future of figure skating...

"retold" in more russian newspapers-->sport.ru--> volk (who is a Plushy hater) brought here.. I don't se any PR action for foreign fans...

As for Pluschenko, he has to be defensive due to the situation he fell into. And I see no reasons he had to praise Kovtun after he was provoked by the journalist. I wish he just dropped the word "average".

Yes. This is my experience the Russian sport journalism like the tabloids. Awful. The journalists like to provoke the Russian athletes, and sometimes they don't write the truth. Trankov the new celebrated champion showed " dislike" sign :yes::clap: for the Russian media 2-3 weeks ago..

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
I don't think PChan would say disparaging words about his teammates. As for the Japanese men, it would be the end of the world if they say anything bad about each other. I don't know much about other teams, though. It's true that no one brings the drama like Russians. But personally I think people take their words too seriously. It's not like an opinion of a certain skater, now matter how famous he is, could affect the judges' decision.

Well, unlike Plu, PChan never lost to his teammates... and he certainly wasn't denied the title at his final appearance at Nationals. ;)

Had Voronov beat Plu at Nationals (which, IMO, he deserved to after Plu's hot mess of a FS), Plushenko would have added Voronov to his hate-list and condemned him for being unable to win Euros, instead of congratulating him on silver. :rolleye:

And yes, the Japanese men are the standard for sportsmanship, humility and class. :clap: The rest of the world should take not just a page, but a whole chapter from their books.

plushyfan

Record Breaker
Country
Hungary
Had Voronov beat Plu at Nationals (which, IMO, he deserved to after Plu's hot mess of a FS), Plushenko would have added Voronov to his hate-list and condemned him for being unable to win Euros, instead of congratulating him on silver. :rolleye:

CSG! You don't know what are you talking about :laugh:..that is good Voronov and Menshov know Plushenko very well.. For example Menshov was who defended Plushy after Rus Nat Champ ..Menshov said Plushy was very angry with himself, because he did many mistakes..But he can skate far better he saw his traning...

pangtongfan

Match Penalty
Voronov and Menshov are good friends with Plushy, and have been for years. CSG as always is clueless to all things reality.

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
Voronov and Menshov are good friends with Plushy, and have been for years.

Of course, and they would continue to be as long as they never beat him. You think if Voronov beat Plushenko at Nationals and subsequently came 2nd at Euros, Plushenko would concede the Sochi spot saying Voronov deserves it over him?! No, he would have gone on a bashing spree of how Voronov has done poorly internationally and at Worlds, and do everything to make sure Voronov didn't replace him as the Sochi representative.

Yagudin... Lysacek... now Kovtun... Plushenko clearly has the nicest sentiments towards those who defeat him. :sarcasm:

pangtongfan

Match Penalty
Joubert and Sandhu have actually beaten Plushy at relevant events (Europeans and grand prix final in his prime), unlike Kovtun who beat at 31 year old Plushenko at nationals (lol), and he was high in praise of both skaters (despite their winning only through his mistakes) after the events, and the years to come. He in fact couldnt stop praising Sandhu's skating to press up until 2006 and saying he was the skater he most feared. Of course that makes sense when Sandhu actually was a special skater when he had his head on straight, not a good average skater like Kovtun.

LRK

Record Breaker
Plushy and Menshov :) :

http://evgeni-plushenko.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=92&start=100#p76958

(It's a cute photo, okay? What other reason do I need to post it? ;) )

And the implacable hatred of Plushy for anyone who has ever beaten him - here he's talking about Brian on his retirement (via Googletranslate):

"Brian managed an incredible career. He is the only survivor against which I fought that is always there. This is all the more impressive that it remains competitive for the Games, as I am. It represents the physical skating, muscular, powerful, pleasing the public. His contribution to the sport is priceless. Brian is very popular, admired around the world. In Russia, it is a true star. This is why I invited my tour in Russia after the Games. And also because I consider him a friend. "

I first posted this here:

http://www.goldenskate.com/forum/sh...oundup-thread!&p=856501&viewfull=1#post856501

Funny that no one started a NEWS! thread about this... ? I wonder why that was... ? Or, in fact, any POSITIVE comment that Plushy ever made - and there are lots of them - lots. Any thoughts on why that is... ? No? Oh, well then.

I suppose everyone needs a hobby. For some, it is searching out potentially controversial comments and starting threads about them. Or, in spending hours in trying to prove that a legend of the sport is, in fact, nothing but a bitter, hateful, jealous, mediocre hack, who is just green with envy at the brilliance that is Maxim Kovtun*. Me, persoally, I enjoy reading - 'tis my passion in life. But, to each their own, I suppose.

*and I'm not "bashing" or "slamming" Kovtun. In fact, I rather like him. In fact, I suspect I probably like him better than most of the people who are currently using him as a tool with which to attack Plushy. While I certainly wouldn't say I'm a "fan" and there are many skaters I like better - I think this is a pity. Surely he deserves true, sincere fans, just like any other skater? Not just people who wish him well, because they imagine this is "sticking it to" Plushenko. But... oh well...

pangtongfan

Match Penalty
Plushy and Menshov :) :

http://evgeni-plushenko.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=92&start=100#p76958

(It's a cute photo, okay? What other reason do I need to post it? ;) )

And the implacable hatred of Plushy for anyone who has ever beaten him - here he's talking about Brian on his retirement (via Googletranslate):

"Brian managed an incredible career. He is the only survivor against which I fought that is always there. This is all the more impressive that it remains competitive for the Games, as I am. It represents the physical skating, muscular, powerful, pleasing the public. His contribution to the sport is priceless. Brian is very popular, admired around the world. In Russia, it is a true star. This is why I invited my tour in Russia after the Games. And also because I consider him a friend. "

I first posted this here:

http://www.goldenskate.com/forum/sh...oundup-thread!&p=856501&viewfull=1#post856501

Funny that no one started a NEWS! thread about this... ? I wonder why that was... ? Or, in fact, any POSITIVE comment that Plushy ever made - and there are lots of them - lots. Any thoughts on why that is... ? No? Oh, well then.

I suppose everyone needs a hobby. For some, it is searching out potentially controversial comments and starting threads about them. Or, in spending hours in trying to prove that a legend of the sport is, in fact, nothing but a bitter, hateful, jealous, mediocre hack, who is just green with envy at the brilliance that is Maxim Kovtun*. Me, persoally, I enjoy reading - 'tis my passion in life. But, to each their own, I suppose.

*and I'm not "bashing" or "slamming" Kovtun. In fact, I rather like him. In fact, I suspect I probably like him better than most of the people who are currently using him as a tool with which to attack Plushy. While I certainly wouldn't say I'm a "fan" and there are many skaters I like better - I think this is a pity. Surely he deserves true, sincere fans, just like any other skater? Not just people who wish him well, because they imagine this is "sticking it to" Plushenko. But... oh well...

Ouch, that is some major pawnage of CSG (then again he receives that everyday on this forum so is probably so numb from it he doesnt even notice). :laugh:

It is beyond desperate Plushenko hateorade to think that even if Plushenko were the veangeful and vindicative type (which as proven he clearly isnt), he would even care that much about losing one small event as a 31 year old which he skated horribly at to lose. CSG seem to have formed a fantasy Kovtun beat a 23 yer old Plushenko for the Olympic Gold. :sarcasm: