Plushenko:" Kovtun is a good average skater " | Golden Skate

Plushenko:" Kovtun is a good average skater "

volk

Final Flight
http://www.sovsport.ru/news/text-item/702033

He said that the best skating in a while comes from Yuzuru, who at 19 show best technique and charisma on ice. But among Russian skaters he commends Voronov and Menshov because they showed good clean skating. Everyone creates hype around one particular skater in whom he seen nothing special. He's a good average skater. We'll just have to wait and see how he does next.

I agree with the fact that Kovtun has much to prove himself. But becoming a team leader next season is very likely. His PCS should go up. This season Maxim learned how to fight. I doubt he'll go through Gachiski-like meltdown.

BlackPack

Medalist
Would he just STFU about Kovtun already. Isn't he embarrassed? I guess not since he's so hubristic and arrogant. I wonder what Kovtun did to him in a past life. I think it's just nasty that Plush and his wife think it's OK to talk about Kovtun negatively when they're the ones who screwed Kovtun.

noskates

Record Breaker
Personally I think this is disgusting. And agree with BlackPack that Plush should just shut up and go into retirement quietly.

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
I doubt he'll go through Gachiski-like meltdown.

You mean because unlike Gachinski Kovtun was coddled and petted and looked after post-Worlds, where Gachinski got abuse and endless criticism and tossed on the scrapheap?

Would he just STFU about Kovtun already. Isn't he embarrassed? I guess not since he's so hubristic and arrogant. I wonder what Kovtun did to him in a past life. I think it's just nasty that Plush and his wife think it's OK to talk about Kovtun negatively when they're the ones who screwed Kovtun.

Please learn basic reading comprehension. Plushenko said that he hasn't seen anything special (which is true), but that WE'LL JUST HAVE TO WAIT AND SEE WHAT HE DOES NEXT.

Of course, I should know better than to try and interfere with the sport of Plushy-and-Yana bashing.

BlackPack

Medalist
You mean because unlike Gachinski Kovtun was coddled and petted and looked after post-Worlds, where Gachinski got abuse and endless criticism and tossed on the scrapheap?

Please learn basic reading comprehension. Plushenko said that he hasn't seen anything special (which is true), but that WE'LL JUST HAVE TO WAIT AND SEE WHAT HE DOES NEXT.

Of course, I should know better than to try and interfere with the sport of Plushy-and-Yana bashing.

Plush apologist :rolleye:

You defend Plush at many threads recently. What is this blind loyalty?

Plush could have just said "I look forward to Kovtun's skating in the future" or something neutral. Anything slightly less neutral and more slanted as an opinion which can be interpreted negatively is bad press. His wife already said that Kovtun should medal and now Plush is saying that Kovtun isn't an interesting skater. It doesn't matter whether it's true or not. It matters that Plush and his wife act there's no such thing as bad PR as long as they're in the limelight. It's really not necessary to say anything at all. The Russian Duma already slammed Plush. IMO that's the time to fade into the background at least for a while, lest more people are offended.

What did Kovtun do anyway? Nothing at all. He is a victim in all of this and he is still getting constant flack from the Plushes.

nimi

Medalist
I'm not a Plush fan but I like that he speaks his mind. Why should he just "shut up and go into retirement quietly" when he's a living legend and lots of people WANT to hear his actual thoughts on the state of men's skating, instead of some neutral platitudes?

Meoima

Match Penalty
I'm not a Plush fan but I like that he speaks his mind. Why should he just "shut up and go into retirement quietly" when he's a living legend and lots of people WANT to hear his actual thoughts on the state of men's skating, instead of some neutral platitudes?
:agree: You can see from my ava who is my idol. Yet I don't find any problem with Plushy in this matter. He has a troublesome tongue but other than that I like that he speaks up his mind.

HanDomi

Record Breaker
I don't know why he should "shut up". Someone asked him about his thoughts on that, and he just answered his own opinion on that :rolleye: And that's all.

anyanka

Record Breaker
Oh Plushy, entertaining as always! TBH I've always enjoyed his outspoken demeanour as well as his skating. He never sugar-coats anything.

silverfoxes

Record Breaker
He he has as much of a right to comment as anyone else. He said positive things about skaters that he feels deserve it, too. It doesn't matter if you like him, his opinion is respected by plenty of others and he is generally right on with his predictions.

"He's a good average skater. We'll just have to wait and see how he does next." How is that "bashing"? He didn't say Kovtun sucks and should hang up his skates. He just doesn't think he's the top talent in Russia at this point in time.

Duality

On the Ice
I don't like Plushenko but agree with him on that - Kovtun is indeed an average skater.

Interspectator

Record Breaker
It may be true, but it's a bit tactless. He could have been encouraging, or at least not dismissive, but he wasn't. I guess that's Plushenko's personality type though.
It will be up to Kovtun prove that he can make a name for himself in Russia. I hope he does. The pressure of being sent to Worlds alone at 17 is a lot to ask. He's older now and finished 4th. That's not too shabby. Time will tell.

qwertyskates

Medalist
If Plushenko didn't hog Kovtun's spot (Kovtun won Nationals after all), Kovtun *might* have medaled at Sochi if he had skated his CoC performance, seeing how Hanyu and Chan were really subpar on that evening.:disapp: I liked and respected Plush but this coming from him is too rich after Sochi!

Meoima

Match Penalty
If Plushenko didn't hog Kovtun's spot (Kovtun won Nationals after all), Kovtun *might* have medaled at Sochi if he had skated his CoC performance, seeing how Hanyu and Chan were really subpar on that evening.:disapp: I liked and respected Plush but this coming from him is too rich after Sochi!
But again, remember how tedious all the men performed in that day, maybe Kovtun wouldn't have a chance either. I mean the ice that day was cursed.

gmyers

Record Breaker
How could anyone disagree? Like when he retired in 2006 he would say every year "things are so bad I might need to return!" He was right then and he's right now.

gmyers

Record Breaker

What about euros - the deciding round and the most important- kovtun inferior to voronov and menshov??

aschiutza

On the Ice
I was betting with myself when Volk will open a thread about this. I expected sooner, to be honest. The interview is already two days out :laugh: .

Now, let's see when CSG will come here to say also his unbiased opinion about Plushenko, what he is allowed to say and what not :laugh:.

And now, if Kovtun woudn't have been competed for that dammed oly place with Plushenko and if anyone of you would have oppened a thread about how average Kovtun is, i think that half of this forum would have agreed. At the moment he IS a good average skater. Did he have something special? Is his technik worth to gush about? Is he one of the men everybody is talking with admiration as the next comer? Is anyone expecting him to battle for silver and gold? I saw more posts about how great Nam Nguyen is than about Kovtun. I am more thrilled about Pitkeev, while he has more to develop than Kovtun... Pitkeev has more spark, more "it", better good basics.

Tarasova made a mistake pushing Kovtun when he was not ready. Yes, he is a world top 10 now, but if she had let him to gain more experience in the junior ranks, by winning the junior world title and to grow more as a skater, i think it would have been better for him.

It might not been PC for Plushenko to say his opinion, but he is right now. He has always said what he thinks about other skaters and mostly he was right, so blinded is he not. He admired Yagudin (while not being firends with him :laugh:), he liked Joubert, he was expecting that Yuzu will do great things, already for years has he predicted that. He also said when he didn't liked a skater. Nothing new here. If people like better PC lie, should look somewhere else and don't read anymore Plushenko interviews and don't be so "surprised" anytime Plushenko opens his mouth.