Page 1 of 10 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 LastLast

Thread: Costumes-best and worst?

With no immaculate Kiira who was spotless this year there were many good ones still. I liked Caro's Sp dress it was perfect. Another fave was Julia's sp dress. Ditto Yuna, sp.

I hated several but leave that to others to see if taste is shared.
    Last edited by skateluvr; 04-20-2014 at 12:41 AM.

Custom Title
    best: Ashley Wagner sp and FS s&d, Machida FS
    worst: Hanyu FS.. awful!

On the Ice
    best: Gracie Gold FS, Yuna Kim SP, Julia SP
    worst: Hanyu FS...(Johney Weir), Sotnikova SP

Tripping on the Podium
    Girls
    Best: A tie between Yulia Lipnitskaya LP (I really love the whole Schindler's List "Girl in red" costume) and Gracie Gold SP.
    Kaetlyn Osmond LP is pretty too and Yuna's LP
    Worst: Adelina LP is a BIG NO in my book! her SP is not pretty either!

Boys
    Boys: Jeremy Abbott SP, Hanyu SP and Patrick SP (I like simple on boys, less is more)
    Worst: Poor Hanyu but her LP's costume is a mess.

I got your program components right here. Pepe Nero's Avatar
    I enjoy threads that encourage anonymous people to assert their opinions on purely subjective matters.

Custom Title
    ^Oh, please do pull that stick out of your behind.

Half of skating is subjective, yet here we all are asserting our opinions.

Worst: Yakov Godorozha's pajama jeans, Javier Fernandez's Beetlejuice costume, Kevin Reynolds (not-even-trying in the SP or the LP look...at least Yuzuru's was interesting)
    Best: V/T's Masquerade Waltz costumes, I/K's costumes for both programs, Mao & Akiko's LP dresses. In general, I think the Team Japan ladies always dress fabulously.

tripping on the toe pick
    Quote Originally Posted by Pepe Nero View Post
    I enjoy threads that encourage anonymous people to assert their opinions on purely subjective matters.
    ...especially when it's fashion-related.

Best: Anna C. SD, Vera B. SP, Akiko... Quite a few actually.

Worst: Too many to choose from.

Cheering Wildly from the stands
    Best: Daisuke Takahashi, Akiko Suzuki, Julia Lipniskaya, Machida (short), Kovtun (extreme simplicity suits him) Radionova's Zombie costume (she has personality flair, so her costume should reflect that)
    I enjoy simple costumes and super 'out there' costumes as long as they seem to fit the skater and the music. My personal pet peeve in costumes is animal print, but thankfully there wasn't much of that this year.

Hmmm: I can't call it 'worst' because it's not that the costumes are horrible, but there were things that bugged me about the costumes...so... Kevin Reynolds LP. The blue fabric that crossed his front diagonally fell in a way that made him look like his stomach was sticking out! And he's so thin so that shouldn't happen. I love his music and his program though. It's too bad he wasn't able to skate it to its potential this year.
    Carolina's EX costume for the Olympics had a nude colored underwear...It just looked very odd to me.
    All black, see-through lace for Sergei Vornov's shirt seems a bit much. I'm not a fan of too much see-through lace for men or women.

I noticed Hanyu's costume get's a lot of bad reviews but think that it matches his body type and skating style. Also, when looking at pictures, it photographs very well.

This is all subjective. Let's not forget that. I hope we continue to see a wide variety in skating costumes...even animal print which I abhor... it makes for such interesting threads.

It's ironic that Hanyu is nominated for best costume thanks to his SP and worst costume thanks to his LP. it's like you win an Oscar and a Raspberry at the same time. Maybe that's the price for triple crowns.

As for the ladies: Julia's red dress in LP is my favorite. With SP, obviously it's Gracie Gold. Another red dress. she looks stunning in that dress.

Quote Originally Posted by lilahozi View Post
    ^Oh, please do pull that stick out of your behind.

Half of skating is subjective, yet here we all are asserting our opinions.
    Your ability for turns of phrase that are homophobic and to diminish the very subject matter on which you (I assume) came here to comment on is impressive.

Quote Originally Posted by Meoima View Post
    It's ironic that Hanyu is nominated for best costume thanks to his SP and worst costume thanks to his LP. it's like you win an Oscar and a Raspberry at the same time. Maybe that's the price for triple crowns.
    I'm probably the only one that prefers his LP costume. I wouldn't mind the shirt and trousers look, but the fabric & print of the shirt looks kind of cheap and dated to me, like a 70s polyester shirt. I think I have a soft spot for the blinged-out LP look because Yuzu had it made to his specifications. It's like a 19-year-old's vision of glitz and glamour Yes, it could have done with one or two fewer elements, but it suits his style.

Quote Originally Posted by Pepe Nero View Post
    Because as we all know, the purpose of figure skating forums is to encourage objective discussion between learned, easily identifiable experts.

Best: Marchei's costumes; Lipnitskaya's FS costume was suitable, distinctive and memorable; Hurtado/Diaz's FD costumes were interesting and fit their program really well; Cappellini/Lanotte's SD costumes were the cutest. Akiko Suzuki is always well-dressed and I was partial to Mao Asada's dramatic and unusual FS dress.

Quote Originally Posted by swc0931 View Post
    best: Gracie Gold FS
    I thought Gracie's styling this year was awful, and that her FS dress - which I am sure was expensive - somehow managed to look cheap and ill-fitting, especially in the back. Also, the bun needed to be lower and the red lipstick didn't suit her at all. Basically, I think Gracie can be much more interesting than the princess persona Carroll is trying to foist on her.

But there were far worse costumes this past season than her's.

Quote Originally Posted by Buttercup View Post
    Because as we all know, the purpose of figure skating forums is to encourage objective discussion between learned, easily identifiable experts.
    Why can't it be?

On the Ice
    I like Ashley Wagner lp, Yuzuru Hanyu sp, Mao Asada lp, Carolina Kostner sp, Yulia lp, Anna Pogorilaya both programs, Javier lp.

The worst are Meryl Davis sp, Hanyu lp, Pfeifer sp, Aaron lp.

Page 1 of 10 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 LastLast