Costumes-best and worst? | Page 4 | Golden Skate

Costumes-best and worst?

skatedreamer

Medalist
Country
United-States
Ah, how quickly we forget the ice dancers of the 80's and 90's-a treasure trove of hideous. But really, for closer memories have we forgotten the aboriginal themed Russian ice dance winners of 2010 Olympics? Why pieces even fell everywhere it seemed. The worst and even offensive. Kulik must have been so hot in a bad way. I'd be sweating profusely and looking for an IV drip. How can anyone skate in thick plastic? Well, Tat was never known for taste.:disapp:

I had the same thought re: D/S in 2010. :jaw:

Also the Duschenays @ the 1988 Olys. Bestimianova & Bukin too, even though they were very fine dancers, had a few scary ones as well.

More recently, Yuzuru's LP. And Polina's SP dress -- she's charming and so talented and I have high hopes for her going forward, but when I saw that outfit the first thought that popped into my mind was Big Bird!

On a more positive note...
Gracie's SP -- such a gorgeous shade of red. OTOH, I thought her LP dress was too old-looking for her.
Akiko's white dress w/ the pastels on the bodice -- absolutely loved it and it seemed to suit her perfectly.
Yuna's LP dress -- stunning, dramatic, and elegant.
Yulia's LP -- just right for her and perfect for the program.
P/B's "Little Prince" outfits -- the colors were luscious!

desertskates

Medalist
I'll just do ladies.
Gold: Yuna's Olympic long. Simple, elegant. Fit for a queen.
Silver: Ashley's Olympic long. Sparkle! And I love yellow.
Bronze: Yulia's long. So well suited to the music.

The fugly award goes to Adelina's long. it just made me :scratch:

silverfoxes

Record Breaker

FS.Addict

Rinkside
The Facepalm category
Kevin's LP - I don't want to comment on it. I really don't.
Adelina's SP Dress - The holes. Why are there holes on your dress?!
Yuzuru's LP....get-up - WHHHHHHHYYYYYYYUUHHHH
Tatsuki's Firebird costume - He took the Firebird theme too literally. :slink:
Anna's Mermaids LP - Too much of what I didn't like (the sheer cuts, the random strips of teal, the seashell- I don't want to continue)
Javier's SP - The one of the ways where stripes doesn't work at all.
Mao's other LP dress - Too much Miki Ando happening there
Both of Misha's outfits - entertaining to watch but NO JUST NO :scowl:

edit: forgot that it was Kevin's LP outfit is the one that I hated instead of his SP's

I totally agree with you for Adelina's SP dress. Last season her blue dress was okay (but again.. WHYYYY is the v-neck in her back??) and i thought her black dress fitted her SP music.
Sadly, this year all of her dresses (before and after the changes) were disappointing.

This said, I loved Mao Asada's dresses at worlds.

I also want to mention Kaetlyn Osmond's LP dress. I loved it !!

Sam-Skwantch

“I solemnly swear I’m up to no good”
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Favourite
Anna (SD) (it's especially pretty while twizzling)
This!!!!

Ill add Mao's Gala"what a wonderful world"
Serafima FS( I :love: soft spoken outfits)
http://youtu.be/sEwHz2Dwvig

Which brings me to worst:
Elena Leonova FS ... Was she trying to be a nutcracker or something or a little drummer girl? I couldn't ever get "ba rumpa bum bum" out of my head just from looking at it.

sunnystars

#teamotherskaters
Record Breaker
I totally agree with you for Adelina's SP dress. Last season her blue dress was okay (but again.. WHYYYY is the v-neck in her back??) and i thought her black dress fitted her SP music.
Sadly, this year all of her dresses (before and after the changes) were disappointing.

This said, I loved Mao Asada's dresses at worlds.

I also want to mention Kaetlyn Osmond's LP dress. I loved it !!

:mad: Now I'm mad that she didn't use that black dress and the hair piece for her SP! It would've added more fierceness to her program. Oh the possibilities...
And I agree, it's a shame that all of her dresses this year were disappointing. :bang: She really needs to have a talk with her costume designers. She is such a beautiful girl with dynamic expressions. Her dresses (esp. for the SP) did not help at all (well for me anyway)

And oh yes! Mao's dresses were amazing :love: I LOVE THEM! They amazingly complements the way she moves from ethereal to dynamic :)

Oh thank you for mentioning Kaetlyn's dress! I forgot about it. I think she's only one that can work that deep purple burgundy-like colour. :)

silverfoxes

Record Breaker
OMG why did you post this and why did I watch it :bang:
It totally ruined Yagudin's beautiful image in my head. I hope Yuzuru doesn't attempt this kind of thing!!! Ahahaha XD

This was one of the first programs of Yagudin I ever watched, and I've never been able to like him for that reason (well, that & I didn't like what he said about Plushy). Maybe unfair of me but it's really horrific...it isn't just about the costume though - it's offensive on every level!

Pamigena

Record Breaker
This was one of the first programs of Yagudin I ever watched, and I've never been able to like him for that reason (well, that & I didn't like what he said about Plushy). Maybe unfair of me but it's really horrific...it isn't just about the costume though - it's offensive on every level!
I was actually kinda surprised that this costume hasn't come up sooner... I've read countless comments about how offensive that Aborigine inspired costume was (not only here but also on other sites) but this one has never been mentioned anywhere.... maybe it was too long ago (or people chose to forget it, for obvious reasons)

noskates

Record Breaker
I really dislike white costumes on figure skaters. They get totally lost against the ice. Never could figure out why they keep dressing the women in white. Akiko's dress was gorgeous - just wish it had been a different color. Even a pale yellow or a pale green with that beautiful beading.

sunnystars

#teamotherskaters
Record Breaker
Hey noskates! maybe they wear white to complement the program? Like in Mao's LP last year or Soyoun's SP this year :) I particularly like Soyoun's because the details on her dress is exquisite in my opinion.

colourmeblue

Rinkside
I particularly like Soyoun's because the details on her dress is exquisite in my opinion.

I totally agree with you regarding Soyoun's dress! The detailing is the colour for white costumes. On the topic of detailing on white costumes, I adore Julia's white dress from last season. Again, exquisite detailing, and use of sheerness on some parts of the costume provides a nice, albeit subtle, contrast.

FS.Addict

Rinkside
I really dislike white costumes on figure skaters. They get totally lost against the ice. Never could figure out why they keep dressing the women in white. Akiko's dress was gorgeous - just wish it had been a different color. Even a pale yellow or a pale green with that beautiful beading.

I agree ! White is the last color i'd choose for a dress. Mao Asada's last year LP dress was lovely, but while it suited the theme, it was too much white on the ice.

I prefered her SP dress :) The program was very dynamic, it was different than what she usually does.

Talking about something different, Akiko Suzuki's last year SP dress was cool (i looooved her program) !!! And her first LP dress this year was so much more beautiful than the others, i was disappointed that she changed it.

Isabel_O'Reilly

Final Flight
I liked too many to list them all but the ones that come to mind immediately are:
Yulia's SP dress, my favorite because I'm more partial to dark blue-purplish colours.
Yulia's LP dress, the red coat dress fits the music and theme perfectly and got better as the season went on, when Yulia and her mother made changes to it.

Tessa & Scott's Olympic FD costumes, the outfits in the individual event were incredible, their skate was beyond magical, completely sublime and I can't believe they lost, let alone by the landslide the scores show.

V/T's SP Masquerade, I watched for the first time at the Olympics, costumes added to their performance.

Kaitlyn & Andrew's SD, I loved that shade of blue and the tap-dancing section was wonderful.

Mao's SP dress WC, perfect dress for the perfect SP.

I can't think of any others at the moment, oh, Anna & Luca's FD costumes were amazing.