Costumes-best and worst? | Page 3 | Golden Skate

Costumes-best and worst?

Best:
Ice Dance: D/W FD costumes and Sochi gala costume, V/M SP and faberge egg costumes, I/K all of their's from this season, C/B SD costumes,
Pairs: V/T SP costumes
Ladies: Gracie Gold SP and LP, Julia SP/LP/gala, Elena Radionova yellow dress, Ashley Wagner SP and LP, Polina Edmunds all of her's

I know I'm forgetting some of my other favorites...I'll edit later. :)

Worst: ...Soooooo many.....too many....

- On a different note, I really really disliked Meryl's Sochi SP dress at first.... However, the more I watch the video and see where she got the design idea from, the more neutral I am about it. I don't think it's pretty or even particularly flattering, but I get what mood she was trying to create and such - and the original dress it's based off of is pretty-enough...so maybe it was just lost in translation a little bit between idea and actual design?
And I'm not a huge fan of the longer skirts that seemed to be "in" for ice dance dresses this year. Some of them were very cute/flattering/appropriate, but then there were some girls wearing them that I felt would've looked better / less stumpy maybe if they had just a slightly shorter skirt.
As a teacher once told me: "Papers are like a girl's skirt. You need it long enough to cover the point, but short enough to keep it interesting." --> Only I am of course referencing for skirt purposes, lol

aschiutza

On the Ice
I have to agree that this still goes down as the ugliest costume I've ever seen! What made it worse was that I really liked Kulik. No other costume has yet to come close to that yellow plastic looking monstrosity.

Kulik was the first skater i really really liked and a season before he had the lovely Romeo costum, so elegant and classy. And then comes with two bad costums, the Revolution one and this yellow one. Grrrrr....

plushyfan

Record Breaker
Country
Hungary
Kulik was the first skater i really really liked and a season before he had the lovely Romeo costum, so elegant and classy. And then comes with two bad costums, the Revolution one and this yellow one. Grrrrr....
I like Kulik's Aladdin costume, too. He was so young and cute ..

Isabel_O'Reilly

Final Flight
Favorite Costumes:

Yulia's SP & LP
V/T's SP
Tessa & Scott's SD & FD (all of them)
Kaitlyn & Andrew SD

There were others but I can't remember them at the moment.

PlaysInTheDirt

On the Ice
Favorites this season:
Yulia's red dress for Schindler's List
Gracie Gold's red dress for her sp
V/T's sp
D/W - Scheherazade
Meryl - LOVED her exhibition dress

Least favorite:
Pechalat / Bourzat FD
B/S FD

From any other season my favorites would be:
Michelle Kwan - Nagano LP - it looks almost too simple but the color is beautiful and the hues change with movement
D/W Notre Dame
D/W Samson and Delilah
Anissina / Peizerat 1998 Olympics Romeo and Juliet
Anissina / Peizerat 1999 Man in the Iron Mask
Shen / Zhou Nutcracker

Least favorite:
2010 Sulej and Chruscinski sp
Tara Lipinski skated to Walking on Sunshine one exhibition and it was blindingly yellow
And have to agree with others - LOVED Ilia Kulik but some of those shirts were BAD!

gourry

Final Flight
For me, the worst was Adelina's LP dress prior to the Olympics. It was just......... weird and ugly. The Olympics version was indefinitely better.

Maybe I'm the only one who thinks that Ilia's giraffe costume is neck and neck with Stephane's zebra costume...?

There were many gorgeous costumes from ladies. My favorites were Yuna's SP and LP, Valentina's SP and LP and Yulia's LP.

skateluvr

Record Breaker
I have to agree that this still goes down as the ugliest costume I've ever seen! What made it worse was that I really liked Kulik. No other costume has yet to come close to that yellow plastic looking monstrosity.

Ah, how quickly we forget the ice dancers of the 80's and 90's-a treasure trove of hideous. But really, for closer memories have we forgotten the aboriginal themed Russian ice dance winners of 2010 Olympics? Why pieces even fell everywhere it seemed. The worst and even offensive. Kulik must have been so hot in a bad way. I'd be sweating profusely and looking for an IV drip. How can anyone skate in thick plastic? Well, Tat was never known for taste.:disapp:

Kitt

Final Flight
Country
United-States
But how handsome Stephane was in his Poeta costume! Zebra to Poeta - ridiculous to the sublime.

skateluvr

Record Breaker
I loved the fitted pink satin SD dress Meryl had. The Olympic dress was ugly. It looked frumpy and dated even on a tiny girl like Meryl. She is looking good on DWTS tho. She was a hot tango dancer. Thankfully the FD dress was good and people remember that. Charlie looks good.

Demerits to Javi's costumer, just ugh. And Kevin Reynolds needs a better hairdo. The fashions really are entertaining-but do detract if bad from the impression, so it is a worthy subject indeed.

Sorry just realized I messed up Kevin's last name. Truly hated his lp look tho. the men have a tough go. Plush was ok this year. And I'd rather see chan look dull as opposed to hanyu's blouse but whatever. I did not mind machida's firebird costume. He can manage it. He seems to be copying dai tho dai is more conservative.

All time best dress has to be Vera wang for Nancy 94. Talk about classy ice princess. Very did wel with Kwan but. No truly iconic costume.

For men Kurt was always so studly

. I always like Yagudins look.

sunnystars

#teamotherskaters
Record Breaker
Been watching fashion police lately.... so here are my brief critiques and faves for some of the skaters (without the explicit stuff lol)

Faves:
Julia's red LP - It just completes her program! Simple and age-appropriate yet dramatic!
All of Akiko's LP dresses - Y'all better have them as your faves too! Honestly if they were longer, they would make amazing gowns for galas and other fancy evenings. Does anyone knows where I could buy them? ;)
Ashley's LP - I love the crystal details and patterns on the sheer panels. The colour of the dress oddly suites her.
Yuna's SP - Her dress is like a sore thumb for me but heck it's one beautiful sore thumb. Like Ashley, the colour oddly suites her as well. It's one of the dresses that stood (and still) out for me. The long sleeves perfectly sways with her arm movements.
Jason's Riverdance - The details on his shirt AND pants are amazing! It truly shows his dedication on creating an amazing program.
Tatsuki's SP - It's simple, not too glittery, and it doesn't detract from his skating. It let's him truly shine.
Mao's WC LP - Such a unique and gorgeous dress! I love the sparkly detailing and the feather-like skirt panelling on her skirt. It complements her body the RIGHT way.
Soyoun's SP - This has the right sparkles and the right detailing on the right places. It's utterly beautiful. It gives her an amazing silhouette due to the crystal beading on the sides. http://www.zimbio.com/photos/So+Youn+Park/ISU+World+Figure+Skating+Championships+Day/Xgp_fQ3MyU7

The "Could've Been Better If...." Category
Carolina's Ave Maria dress - The dress is pretty but the sheer v-cut should've been less deeper. Plus, I want her skirt to have another layer or two.
Michael C. Martinez's SP - Less puffiness on the sleeves but love the details on the shirt.
Adelina's LP - Maybe change the gold/bronze cage-thing on her dress with a different colour and rearrange how it's placed?
Yuna's LP - It might be because of the cut of the dress but overall I would've added this as one of my faves.
Carolina's Bolero - Like Yuna, the cut of the dress makes it weird (imo). There's also too much black sheer thing happening but she pulled it off, I guess.
Javier's LP - Change that tacky metallic shirt and use real suspenders!

The Facepalm category
Kevin's LP - I don't want to comment on it. I really don't.
Adelina's SP Dress - The holes. Why are there holes on your dress?!
Yuzuru's LP....get-up - WHHHHHHHYYYYYYYUUHHHH
Tatsuki's Firebird costume - He took the Firebird theme too literally. :slink:
Anna's Mermaids LP - Too much of what I didn't like (the sheer cuts, the random strips of teal, the seashell- I don't want to continue)
Javier's SP - The one of the ways where stripes doesn't work at all.
Mao's other LP dress - Too much Miki Ando happening there
Both of Misha's outfits - entertaining to watch but NO JUST NO :scowl:

edit: forgot that it was Kevin's LP outfit is the one that I hated instead of his SP's

WeakAnkles

Record Breaker
Tessa's Faberge Egg dress from the Olympics.

And I am at least half-convinced Capellini and Lanotte owe their World gold medal to her blue skirt from their short program. If there was ever an award for Best Movement in a Skating Costume, it would have no competition.

Julia's red coat dress is a perfect match of costume/program.

I actually liked Kevin Reynolds' SP costume. He's a, let's call him, attitudinal headbanging dude. What did you want him to wear? A high hat and tails? Ripped jeans and a concert T would have really been better but still, rock on dude! It's a shame figure skating is so stuffy, because I thought that program not only suited him to a t (far more than anything else he's ever done), but was a real breath of fresh air. YMMV of course.