Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Figure Skating On Ice Rinks In Shopping Centres

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Meoima View Post
    Oh really, then why the internet says it's is located right alongside a few restaurants as it is in a shopping centre? So it's near the mall but not inside the mall? Or it is in the mall but not open or located in the middle of the mall?
    It is in the complex with its own entrance. Kind of separated from the shopping area.

Love popcorn, hate horrendous costumes. Meoima's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by BusyMom View Post
    It is in the complex with its own entrance. Kind of separated from the shopping area.
    Thanks for the information. So Sendai ice rink belongs to the complex but has different entrance. I guess I misunderstood what the internet says.

Custom Title
    Thanks for the information. So Sendai ice rink belongs to the complex but has different entrance. I guess I misunderstood what the internet says.
    It is still not a perfect environment for training for Yuzuru anyway. But compare to MCM (Philippines) http://s188.photobucket.com/user/JIM...02540.jpg.html I still think Yuzuru got a better training ground.

Love popcorn, hate horrendous costumes. Meoima's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by BusyMom View Post
    It is still not a perfect environment for training for Yuzuru anyway. But compare to MCM (Philippines) http://s188.photobucket.com/user/JIM...02540.jpg.html I still think Yuzuru got a better training ground.
    Well as long as they have the ice rink to practice, it's better than nothing. There is no ice rink in my country. When I moved to Australia it was different though.
    I hope these young skaters have the training that they deserve, they have to endure so much.

EZETTIE LATUASV IVAKMHA CaroLiza_fan's Avatar
    Wow! Thank you all for replying. I was half expecting this to be one of those threads that nobody bothered with.

Instead, we have found out a whole pile of interesting facts!

So, quite a few elite level skaters not only started out in shopping centre rinks, but still train in them. I would never have thought that!

Quote Originally Posted by Kalina View Post
    Ice Rink Sendai, where Yuzuru used to train before moving to Canada, is located inside a shopping center. It's the only ice rink in Miyagi, used not only by figure skaters, but speed skaters and curling as well. It's open to the public during the day, as you can see here.
    He still skates there when he is at home, but only when the rink is closed.
    But, when the only rink that is nearby is in a shopping centre, I can understand why Yuzu uses it. Mind you, I wonder what the general public using it think when they see him going past doing fancy things...! (Great jump in the vid, by the way!)

It was open rinks within shopping centres that my question was originally about. But, I also found it interesting the stories about closed rinks attached to shopping centres.

Quote Originally Posted by azcalder View Post
    Five years ago Lu Chen and Denis Petrov (her husband) opened the first of what was to be five ice rinks in Chinese shopping centers. Not sure if others opened, but the one she and Denis manage have produced a young skater to watch.

http://photobucket.com/images/world%...henzhen?page=1
    From those photos, that rink looks a lot like the rink where Jenna McCorkell and I both had our first on-ice experiences. The difference, of course, being that the Jet Centre in Coleraine didn't have any shops anywhere nearby! (It was in an industrial estate and had a 10-pin bowling alley attached to it).

Well as long as they have the ice rink to practice, it's better than nothing. There is no ice rink in my country. When I moved to Australia it was different though.
    I hope these young skaters have the training that they deserve, they have to endure so much.
    You know, I feel sorry for people who live in countries who do not have access to a variety of sporting facilities, and so are not able to find out if they are good at something.

In Northern Ireland, we used to have 2 rinks - one in the West of the province (The Jet Centre in Coleraine), and one in the East (Dundonal Ice Bowl, just outside Belfast). But then the Jet Centre's rink closed. So, we only have one rink now.

Of course, one rink is better than none. And, it is easy to access for those in the Greater Belfast area. But, with our public transport network being so dire, it is not always easy for us in rural areas in the West of the Province to get to Belfast.

Which is probably why, since Jenna came through, we have had NO skaters from this side of the Province. All the skaters that have started competing have been from the greater Belfast area.

But, last summer we had a temporary rink in Portrush (7 miles from Coleraine). And it was a roaring success. So, hopefully somebody will get the hint and open a permanent rink this side of the Province again... even if it is just a small one in a shopping centre!

Quote Originally Posted by PlaysInTheDirt View Post
    I think Michael Martinez, trained at a mall rink.

A few years ago, D/W practiced Nutcracker at Galleria Dallas. I guess you take ice time where you can get it.
    And that is exactly the right attitude to have!

But, I don't think it would be a good idea to be skating on a small rink ALL the time. You wouldn't get the spatial awareness that you would need when you come to compete on a full-size rink.

But then again, to use Unite's words, "I know nothing about skating".

CaroLiza_fan

Wicked Yankee Girl dorispulaski's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by fleeting View Post
    I believe Harding trained at a mall rink in Portland for a while?
    (Not the best example, but it's off the top of my head.)

I would think it would be difficult to train and run programs with the public looking on.
    I believe she trained in Clackamas Town Center mall, which is where the shootings occurred a couple years back. There used to be an ice rink there, which has since closed. (I remember this because my son was in that area of Oregon when the shootings occurred, so I was following the news closely, and Tonya was mentioned on the coverage.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Clackamas_Town_Center

Actually Tonya trained at the rink at the Lloyd Center in central Portland. The rink is still there.

http://www.lloydcenterice.com/

In the 30 For 30 documentary, I think she said people used to throw things at her when she was training, after the Nancy incident.

Rinkside
    In the 30 for 30 documentary, the rink Tonya is shown skating at is the (now closed) rink at Clackamas Town Center. She also trained at the Lloyd Center rink, where her coaches still coach.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by CaroLiza_fan View Post
    But, I don't think it would be a good idea to be skating on a small rink ALL the time. You wouldn't get the spatial awareness that you would need when you come to compete on a full-size rink.
    Spatial awareness would be less of a problem than layout and stamina, I would think.

Trust me, any time I set blade on a proper-sized rink, my legs and my lungs feel the burn.

I believe Tara Lipinski skated a bit at the Galleria in Houston. At least that's what was advertised after she won Olympic gold, though I don't think she spent too much time training/skating in Houston in general.

Medalist
    There is a beautiful ice complex in Arlington, VA (just outside of Washington DC) that is located ABOVE a shopping mall. Retail stores are located on the bottom 3 stories and the actual rinks are located on the top floor. The facility (two rinks - one Olympic and one NHL)has not produced a big figure skating name but it is the training complex for the pro hockey team (Washington Capitols) trains.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2