Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Stephane Lambiel question

Custom Title

Stephane Lambiel question

Any one know in which competetion Stephane Lambiel skated clean SP and/or LP? What about his European performance? My friend borrowed my tape, if he is clean there I definitely need to get that tape back.

I like his skating very much. Even he made mistake in he SP at worlds, but it is still one of the men's SP I kept rewind when I watching the tape. I raerly do so for a program with mistake in it even for Kween. LOL. I hate ABC chocked his LP, which according to report is excellant.

The boy just skated with so much musicality and dancing ability. And I love, love his costumn so classic and manly. Even I only watched a short clip from John Curry (sory can't remember if its Robin Cusine?), the one known for bring dancing quality into men skating, but Lambial's skating reminds me of that clip.

Any thought to share?

Keeper of Michelle's Nose berthes ghost's Avatar
    I don't remember him ever doing 2 clean programs in the same comp. If he did, he'd be on the podium, I'm sure. He's great!
    the one known for bring dancing quality into men skating
    Curry, the 76 Oly champ, was known for bringing classic ballet dancing to men's skating. Cousins, the 80 Oly champ, was known for bringing Broadway/show dancing to men's skating.

Custom Title
    Thanks, I think it is Curry, he reminds me.

Was he a clean SP at European? I hope during ESPN re-air 2004 world they would include his LP. They did this with Ryan's LP, I ends up just tape Ryan's for that re-air. lol.

Wicked Yankee Girl dorispulaski's Avatar
    mzheng, Were you able to download a copy of Lambiel's long program at World's from www.somebodyelseslife.com/figureskating
    She had it up Weds this week.

She may put it back up again sometime.

Not the droid you're looking for
    I don't remember seeing Lambiel before this year's Worlds, and the headless spin at the end of his short program made me squeal! I've watched it several times since, and that spin...wow!
    Rave

Keeper of Michelle's Nose berthes ghost's Avatar
    He came on the senior scene in 2002. I don't know what ABC has been showing the past few years, but he was 4th at 2002 Euros with a great LP, and 5th in 2003 with another good LP, and 6th this past season. He was only 15th in SLC, and 18th at 2002 worlds and 10th in 2003, so it's very likely that he didn't make US TV world coverage until this year. Anyway, in Europe he's a rising star with a buzz around him for years now.

He once was in contention for a Euros podium which was shown on ABC. He was in contention with the new Frenchman, Joubert. Joubert got the third place Since Europe now had a big contender (Joubert), Stephane is not often seen on ABC.

I am a big Stephane fan - maybe not for medals but definitely for great skating. His style is his own and it comprises great flow over the ice, innovated nuances, all his tricks are part of the routine; his body is dancing on the ice (a rarity even among the Ladies); every beat of the music is addressed. Curry is a good comparison because there is no one else.

In Dortmund he skated beautifully but he was up agains the home town boy, Lindemann, who was very good but in the usual jumpfest way. Nothing against Lindemann, just that his style is quite common, and I would not argue the medal.

We talked about charisma in a Poll thread. I would mention Stephane because even when he falters, you still are in awe of his musicality, masculine grace, and yes, good tricks too.

He was so attentive watching Carolina skate. Another wedding in Italy some day?

Joe

Thank God for Stephane Lambiel and Matt Savoie! shine's Avatar
    Joe, what a wonderful post! I agree with every word you said. I think that's what makes Lambiel's skating so magical: the combination of boyish charm and manly grace. I love him.
    I believe his Chocolat LP from 2003 Euros was shown on ABC where he came in fifth. It had several mistakes but the choreography, the musicality and how he was doing steps throughout the program was enough for it to be a keeper. His QR from last years worlds was even better of course.

To answer Mzheng's question, I don't think he ever skated this Scottish Fantasy SP cleanly this season. It was pretty much a disaster at Euros jump wise, as he fell on the quad, flipped out of the lutz, and fell during a step sequence later. But without the fall on the quad, I thought it came close to perfection at Worlds. The two step sequences were skated with musicality and abandon like I've never seen, but with a lot of precision at the same time. It may very well be my favorite men's SP of all time.

Here, another Lambiel gush post from me :o
    Last edited by shine; 04-03-2004 at 08:43 PM.

really nothing of importance to add here except an emphatic ITA to all you Lambiel lovers and a hello to shine, with whom I share a passion for two exceptionally lyrical, spellbinding skaters:

Stephane Lambiel

&

Yukina Ota

cheers!

Sarah

(can't wait to see them both kick tushy and take names, perhaps in Torino )

Custom Title
    Originally posted by Joesitz

We talked about charisma in a Poll thread. I would mention Stephane because even when he falters, you still are in awe of his musicality, masculine grace, and yes, good tricks too.
    Joe
    Yeah, Joe you said it best than I could've put. I guess thats why we (my daughter and I) kept rewind the tape to watch his SP at worlds.

Thanks, shine, I'll dig my tape see if I had the 2003 Euro.

Custom Title
    Yes, John Curry is a good comparison! I would also add Ilia Kulik as a pro. Besides, Ilia Kulik is mentioned as Stéphane´s favourite skater on the his Official Homepage....

As I became a fan of Ilia I saw him as a kind of mix of my too big favourites John Curry and Robin Cousins.

About Stéphane I think it was a very good sign that he skated so well in Worlds now. It will give him a lot of confidence and also fighting spirit for next season. Besides I have understood that he will also have more time for skating practicing, as his studying will be kind of finished? Anyway, considering the Torino Olympics, this very season was a very good timing for him to show to judges his 4th place finish in Worlds.

Marjaana
    Last edited by Jaana; 04-04-2004 at 01:54 AM.

Rooting for the Kerrs!
    You should also try to get a copy of his LP at 02 Euros, where he was 4th behind Yagudin, Abt and Joubert - without a quad or triple axel! And IMO he could have been on the podium. That performance is one of my favourites ever - it was amazing. Completely clean, fantastic choreography and footwork, amazing spins as always, and two great 3-3s (lutz-toe and flip-toe). And it was in Switzerland, so the audience response was amazing.

Stephane Lambiel is one of my favourite skaters!

Stephane Lambiel

Well, I'm glad that ABC showed Stephane during the exhibition. Also, if you watched ESPN's coverage of the men's/pairs last night, you got to see his free skate which ABC regrettably did not show during prime time coverage last week. I hope ABC got a lot of complaints about not showing his free skate!

Thank God for Stephane Lambiel and Matt Savoie! shine's Avatar
    Originally posted by sarahmistral
    really nothing of importance to add here
    Another gush post on Ota and Lambiel already has importance enough by itself And I lurrves all the that you had sarahmistral!!

Custom Title

Re: Stephane Lambiel

I watched his 2003's European LP. I loved that performance only he had to fall at footwork, and after that he seems lost a little, but he collected himself well enough by the end of the program. Unfortunately I didn't keep my 2002 European tape. Hey he had improved a lot this year in his already greate spin of last year. Especially the end of his headless spin, the speed and exit.

I still loves his this year's SP and gala better than last year. Havn't seen LP yet.

Originally posted by iluvtodd
    Well, I'm glad that ABC showed Stephane during the exhibition. Also, if you watched ESPN's coverage of the men's/pairs last night, you got to see his free skate which ABC regrettably did not show during prime time coverage last week. I hope ABC got a lot of complaints about not showing his free skate!
    Too bad, I missed this ESPN re-air. I went to COI last night, didn't find out the ESPN reair until I got back home. Too bad. Is there any chance ESPN re-air again?
    Last edited by mzheng; 04-04-2004 at 04:41 PM.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast