Stephane Lambiel question | Golden Skate

Stephane Lambiel question

mzheng

Record Breaker
Any one know in which competetion Stephane Lambiel skated clean SP and/or LP? What about his European performance? My friend borrowed my tape, if he is clean there I definitely need to get that tape back.

I like his skating very much. Even he made mistake in he SP at worlds, but it is still one of the men's SP I kept rewind when I watching the tape. I raerly do so for a program with mistake in it even for Kween. LOL. I hate ABC chocked his LP, which according to report is excellant.

The boy just skated with so much musicality and dancing ability. And I love, love his costumn so classic and manly. Even I only watched a short clip from John Curry (sory can't remember if its Robin Cusine?), the one known for bring dancing quality into men skating, but Lambial's skating reminds me of that clip.

Any thought to share?

berthes ghost

Final Flight
I don't remember him ever doing 2 clean programs in the same comp. If he did, he'd be on the podium, I'm sure. He's great!
the one known for bring dancing quality into men skating
Curry, the 76 Oly champ, was known for bringing classic ballet dancing to men's skating. Cousins, the 80 Oly champ, was known for bringing Broadway/show dancing to men's skating.

mzheng

Record Breaker
Thanks, I think it is Curry, he reminds me.

Was he a clean SP at European? I hope during ESPN re-air 2004 world they would include his LP. They did this with Ryan's LP, I ends up just tape Ryan's for that re-air. lol.

Ravyn Rant

Totally 80s Dance Party!
Medalist
I don't remember seeing Lambiel before this year's Worlds, and the headless spin at the end of his short program made me squeal! I've watched it several times since, and that spin...wow!
Rave

berthes ghost

Final Flight
He came on the senior scene in 2002. I don't know what ABC has been showing the past few years, but he was 4th at 2002 Euros with a great LP, and 5th in 2003 with another good LP, and 6th this past season. He was only 15th in SLC, and 18th at 2002 worlds and 10th in 2003, so it's very likely that he didn't make US TV world coverage until this year. Anyway, in Europe he's a rising star with a buzz around him for years now.

He once was in contention for a Euros podium which was shown on ABC. He was in contention with the new Frenchman, Joubert. Joubert got the third place Since Europe now had a big contender (Joubert), Stephane is not often seen on ABC.

I am a big Stephane fan - maybe not for medals but definitely for great skating. His style is his own and it comprises great flow over the ice, innovated nuances, all his tricks are part of the routine; his body is dancing on the ice (a rarity even among the Ladies); every beat of the music is addressed. Curry is a good comparison because there is no one else.

In Dortmund he skated beautifully but he was up agains the home town boy, Lindemann, who was very good but in the usual jumpfest way. Nothing against Lindemann, just that his style is quite common, and I would not argue the medal.

We talked about charisma in a Poll thread. I would mention Stephane because even when he falters, you still are in awe of his musicality, masculine grace, and yes, good tricks too.

He was so attentive watching Carolina skate. Another wedding in Italy some day?

Joe

shine

Record Breaker
Joe, what a wonderful post! I agree with every word you said. I think that's what makes Lambiel's skating so magical: the combination of boyish charm and manly grace. I love him. :love:
I believe his Chocolat LP from 2003 Euros was shown on ABC where he came in fifth. It had several mistakes but the choreography, the musicality and how he was doing steps throughout the program was enough for it to be a keeper. His QR from last years worlds was even better of course.

To answer Mzheng's question, I don't think he ever skated this Scottish Fantasy SP cleanly this season. It was pretty much a disaster at Euros jump wise, as he fell on the quad, flipped out of the lutz, and fell during a step sequence later. But without the fall on the quad, I thought it came close to perfection at Worlds. The two step sequences were skated with musicality and abandon like I've never seen, but with a lot of precision at the same time. It may very well be my favorite men's SP of all time.

Here, another Lambiel gush post from me :eek:

Last edited:

sarahmistral

On the Ice
really nothing of importance to add here except an emphatic ITA to all you Lambiel lovers:love: and a hello to shine, with whom I share a passion for two exceptionally lyrical, spellbinding skaters:

Stephane Lambiel:love:

&

Yukina Ota:love:

cheers!

Sarah

(can't wait to see them both kick tushy and take names, perhaps in Torino:love::love::love: )

mzheng

Record Breaker
Joesitz said:

We talked about charisma in a Poll thread. I would mention Stephane because even when he falters, you still are in awe of his musicality, masculine grace, and yes, good tricks too.
Joe

Yeah, Joe you said it best than I could've put. I guess thats why we (my daughter and I) kept rewind the tape to watch his SP at worlds.

Thanks, shine, I'll dig my tape see if I had the 2003 Euro.

Jaana

Record Breaker
Country
Finland
Yes, John Curry is a good comparison! I would also add Ilia Kulik as a pro. Besides, Ilia Kulik is mentioned as Stéphane´s favourite skater on the his Official Homepage....

As I became a fan of Ilia I saw him as a kind of mix of my too big favourites John Curry and Robin Cousins.

About Stéphane I think it was a very good sign that he skated so well in Worlds now. It will give him a lot of confidence and also fighting spirit for next season. Besides I have understood that he will also have more time for skating practicing, as his studying will be kind of finished? Anyway, considering the Torino Olympics, this very season was a very good timing for him to show to judges his 4th place finish in Worlds.

Marjaana

Last edited:

icenut84

Final Flight
You should also try to get a copy of his LP at 02 Euros, where he was 4th behind Yagudin, Abt and Joubert - without a quad or triple axel! And IMO he could have been on the podium. That performance is one of my favourites ever - it was amazing. Completely clean, fantastic choreography and footwork, amazing spins as always, and two great 3-3s (lutz-toe and flip-toe). And it was in Switzerland, so the audience response was amazing. :)

Stephane Lambiel is one of my favourite skaters! :love:

iluvtodd

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Stephane Lambiel

Well, I'm glad that ABC showed Stephane during the exhibition. Also, if you watched ESPN's coverage of the men's/pairs last night, you got to see his free skate which ABC regrettably did not show during prime time coverage last week. I hope ABC got a lot of complaints about not showing his free skate!

shine

Record Breaker
sarahmistral said:
really nothing of importance to add here
Another gush post on Ota and Lambiel already has importance enough by itself ;) And I lurrves all the :love: that you had sarahmistral!!

mzheng

Record Breaker
Re: Stephane Lambiel

I watched his 2003's European LP. I loved that performance only he had to fall at footwork, and after that he seems lost a little, but he collected himself well enough by the end of the program. Unfortunately I didn't keep my 2002 European tape. Hey he had improved a lot this year in his already greate spin of last year. Especially the end of his headless spin, the speed and exit.

I still loves his this year's SP and gala better than last year. Havn't seen LP yet.

iluvtodd said:
Well, I'm glad that ABC showed Stephane during the exhibition. Also, if you watched ESPN's coverage of the men's/pairs last night, you got to see his free skate which ABC regrettably did not show during prime time coverage last week. I hope ABC got a lot of complaints about not showing his free skate!

Too bad, I missed this ESPN re-air. I went to COI last night, didn't find out the ESPN reair until I got back home. Too bad. Is there any chance ESPN re-air again?

Last edited by a moderator:

hockeyfan228

Record Breaker
I think Lambiel has wonderful , boyish energy and, of course, fabulous spins, but his edging is mixed and his jump technique is often dodgy. Most of his landings in the LP were scratchy, low, or atilt, and I think this marred his program. It makes him appear a bit unfinished, regardless of the quality of his programs or choreography.

His quali round performance was fascinating to me, because with a slight edge off, he gave a smoother, more flowing and nuanced program, especially during the slow section. By harnessing his energy a little and focussing on details that he tends to skate over in the heat of the finals, he had more stature and impact. I hope he can work on his technique a bit more now that his studies are over, because I don't think we've seen more than 80% of his potential.

shine

Record Breaker
Lambiel has more details in his programs than any top skaters in the world (except perhaps Klimkin). I do not see the rushing mentioned. I agree that his jumping this year has not been the best quality-wise. Usually, when in good form, he has one of the smoothest, longest run outs on the landings.
IMHO sometimes people are overwhelmed by his great spins and energy, but they don't see that his carriage and form is compared only by Weir and Sandhu IMO.

Gipson

Rinkside
I think he still has a lot to improve in all areas of his skating, including his spins. Though they're fast, they tend to look sloppy and aren't always well centered.

mzheng

Record Breaker
I was watching worlds gala tape again. Have to say even with the falls, he is still the most exiting one to watch. He was just dancing across the ice, even the falls are on the beat. I really have to rewind several times for his program. Just curious was thist the one he throw on site as well?

shine

Record Breaker
The exhibition program is the SP to Shakira's Objection that he used ealier in the season. I aboslutely loved it. Too bad he fell twice, but other than that, it's a totally brilliant program! :) I think he pulled off Tango very well, so sharp and quick!