Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Stephane Lambiel question

Go NJ Devils
    I think Lambiel has wonderful , boyish energy and, of course, fabulous spins, but his edging is mixed and his jump technique is often dodgy. Most of his landings in the LP were scratchy, low, or atilt, and I think this marred his program. It makes him appear a bit unfinished, regardless of the quality of his programs or choreography.

His quali round performance was fascinating to me, because with a slight edge off, he gave a smoother, more flowing and nuanced program, especially during the slow section. By harnessing his energy a little and focussing on details that he tends to skate over in the heat of the finals, he had more stature and impact. I hope he can work on his technique a bit more now that his studies are over, because I don't think we've seen more than 80% of his potential.

Thank God for Stephane Lambiel and Matt Savoie! shine's Avatar
    Lambiel has more details in his programs than any top skaters in the world (except perhaps Klimkin). I do not see the rushing mentioned. I agree that his jumping this year has not been the best quality-wise. Usually, when in good form, he has one of the smoothest, longest run outs on the landings.
    IMHO sometimes people are overwhelmed by his great spins and energy, but they don't see that his carriage and form is compared only by Weir and Sandhu IMO.

Medalist
    I think he still has a lot to improve in all areas of his skating, including his spins. Though they're fast, they tend to look sloppy and aren't always well centered.

Custom Title
    I was watching worlds gala tape again. Have to say even with the falls, he is still the most exiting one to watch. He was just dancing across the ice, even the falls are on the beat. I really have to rewind several times for his program. Just curious was thist the one he throw on site as well?

The exhibition program is the SP to Shakira's Objection that he used ealier in the season. I aboslutely loved it. Too bad he fell twice, but other than that, it's a totally brilliant program! I think he pulled off Tango very well, so sharp and quick!

Custom Title
    Originally posted by shine

IMHO sometimes people are overwhelmed by his great spins and energy, but they don't see that his carriage and form is compared only by Weir and Sandhu IMO.
    Yeah, Weir starts growing on me. I like his this year SP better than LP, his SP he truely skated with the musicality it is so flowing on the ice. But I don't like his costumn choice, too femining IMO. And his body line TOO stretched out in my taste. (his back stretched to the level make his butt stick out too much, not sure if that's the right description. lol). I still prefer the Lambiel as a total. I'd like to see he win next OGM.
    Last edited by mzheng; 04-15-2004 at 02:54 PM.

Stephane's grace is definitely different from the perfect body form of Johnny Weir's. I find it very fascinating because often skaters with beautiful carriage like Sandhu and Weir would often strike me as somewhat feminine, yet it's entirely different with Lambiel. (but perhaps it's just because he doesn't point his toe as well as the other two) His elegance comes off as totally unfroced and natural; and it appears to me that he maintains his carriage on a unconscious level, as it is all blended into his performance as a whole, and doesn't stand out as one distinct quality. To me his skating is all about movement, and his beautiul back and shoulders just aid to the way he moves.
    I find him to be the most graceful man in Europe, yet it's a wild/passionate quality combined with this elegance that really draws me in. The "freeness" with which he uses his upper body and arms is only matched by Ryan Jahnke in my book.
    My second European favorite Klimkin also has beautiful carriage, but not the same kind of elegance.
    Last edited by shine; 04-15-2004 at 02:01 PM.

Custom Title

His elegance comes off as totally unfroced and natural; and it appears to me that he maintains his carriage on a unconscious level, as it is all blended into his performance as a whole, and doesn't stand out as one distinct quality. To me his skating is all about movement, and his beautiul back and shoulders just aid to the way he moves.
    I guess that's exactly what I love his skating. I can just rewatch his final spin to end pose in his gala number over and over again. lol. It was such an attitude ending.

The "freeness" with which he uses his upper body and arms is only matched by Ryan Jahnke in my book.
    Yes. But Ryan Jahnke has more smooth and controled edges, which allows him to dance with upper body and arms movements on ice without one moment of awkward. While Lambiel exciting as it is still you can see he has the moments in his program where almost lost edge or looked awkward (like almost out of balancing). But he is still young the edges come with years and years experiences.

My second European favorite Klimkin also has beautiful carriage, but not the same kind of elegance.
    I never liked him. Though he had a lot of the originality moves but the positions were most awkwards not graceful look in my taste.

Even I didn't get to see Lambiel's Worlds LP, many have said he was robbed by judges putting Lindmman ahead of him. But by watching Lindmman's both SP, LP and exhibition I would say Lindmman has better skating skill than Lambiel, though Lindmman's line and carriage are not as pleasant as Lambiel's on ice.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2