Stephane Lambiel question | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Stephane Lambiel question

mzheng

Record Breaker
shine said:

IMHO sometimes people are overwhelmed by his great spins and energy, but they don't see that his carriage and form is compared only by Weir and Sandhu IMO.

Yeah, Weir starts growing on me. I like his this year SP better than LP, his SP he truely skated with the musicality it is so flowing on the ice. But I don't like his costumn choice, too femining IMO. And his body line TOO stretched out in my taste. (his back stretched to the level make his butt stick out too much, not sure if that's the right description. lol). I still prefer the Lambiel as a total. I'd like to see he win next OGM.

Last edited by a moderator:

shine

Record Breaker
Stephane's grace is definitely different from the perfect body form of Johnny Weir's. I find it very fascinating because often skaters with beautiful carriage like Sandhu and Weir would often strike me as somewhat feminine, yet it's entirely different with Lambiel. (but perhaps it's just because he doesn't point his toe as well as the other two;)) His elegance comes off as totally unfroced and natural; and it appears to me that he maintains his carriage on a unconscious level, as it is all blended into his performance as a whole, and doesn't stand out as one distinct quality. To me his skating is all about movement, and his beautiul back and shoulders just aid to the way he moves.
I find him to be the most graceful man in Europe, yet it's a wild/passionate quality combined with this elegance that really draws me in. The "freeness" with which he uses his upper body and arms is only matched by Ryan Jahnke in my book.
My second European favorite Klimkin also has beautiful carriage, but not the same kind of elegance.

Last edited:

mzheng

Record Breaker
shine said:

His elegance comes off as totally unfroced and natural; and it appears to me that he maintains his carriage on a unconscious level, as it is all blended into his performance as a whole, and doesn't stand out as one distinct quality. To me his skating is all about movement, and his beautiul back and shoulders just aid to the way he moves.
I guess that's exactly what I love his skating. I can just rewatch his final spin to end pose in his gala number over and over again. lol. It was such an attitude ending.

shine said:

The "freeness" with which he uses his upper body and arms is only matched by Ryan Jahnke in my book.
Yes. But Ryan Jahnke has more smooth and controled edges, which allows him to dance with upper body and arms movements on ice without one moment of awkward. While Lambiel exciting as it is still you can see he has the moments in his program where almost lost edge or looked awkward (like almost out of balancing). But he is still young the edges come with years and years experiences.

shine said:

My second European favorite Klimkin also has beautiful carriage, but not the same kind of elegance.
I never liked him. Though he had a lot of the originality moves but the positions were most awkwards not graceful look in my taste.

Even I didn't get to see Lambiel's Worlds LP, many have said he was robbed by judges putting Lindmman ahead of him. But by watching Lindmman's both SP, LP and exhibition I would say Lindmman has better skating skill than Lambiel, though Lindmman's line and carriage are not as pleasant as Lambiel's on ice.