Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: 2014-15 Season Preview

Hybrid View

2014-15 Season Preview

What will happen in 2014-15 season in figure skating at junior and senior levels (in all categories)? Musical choices, style changes and technical refinement? What are your expectations on the basis that happened in the last quad? Give your opinions! Since now, thank you!

Tripping on the Podium
    I wanna see Gracie Gold go for the 3A.....c'mon Frank....she could do it!

Quote Originally Posted by Olderbear View Post
    I wanna see Gracie Gold go for the 3A.....c'mon Frank....she could do it!
    They should improve her 2A first.

Banned
    I predict 2014-15 as breakout year for Sui/Han
    and we could be seeing a total domination by Gracie in the Grand Prix series, World silver or World gold leading to Boston 2016
    Elena will be the top Russian in 2015, a World medal

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by sky_fly20 View Post
    and we could be seeing a total domination by Gracie in the Grand Prix series, World silver or World gold leading to Boston 2016
    Not going to happen!

Custom Title
    My prediction - Gold will make a mess of her program at worlds and Russians will have the podium sweep (Lipnitskaya - gold, Sotnikova- silver and Radionova-bronze). Poor Pogorilaya won't be sent to worlds because she will place fourth at the nationals.

Sui / Han has large Chinese competitors. Really do not know if they can sustain.
    Gracie has many positive points, but need to work to show a great skate. What about Radionova, I have hopes that it grows more, but I fear the dreaded puberty on her

I'll be honest with you and tell everyone what I think:
    For men, Hanyu has great advantage over everyone. Chan, Fernandez, Ten and Machida could not stop him and I think next season remains the same. I hope more musicality and less disasters with quads.
    For women, American Russian rule (Lipnitskaya, Sotnikova, Pogorilaya, Sotskova, Proklova and many others) (Gold and Edmunds). Japanese girls are trying to enter the fray but it will be difficult. Perhaps Murakami and Miyahara. For Russian domain pairs (S & K) and Canadian (TM & M) and Chinese. Russian in ice dance may also dominate.
    But overall I hope to skate clean, good music (lots of rock, epic music and classical), better footwork, among others.

On the Ice
    Quote Originally Posted by sky_fly20 View Post
    I LOVE Gracie, and actually have only started following skating again because of her, and even I am not that delusional. I think she had her golden chance these past two competitions (Olympics included), and she missed it. I don't see her improving greatly, and especially with the rising Russians, I think it's unlikely for her to medal this season.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by skatefan17 View Post
    I LOVE Gracie, and actually have only started following skating again because of her, and even I am not that delusional. I think she had her golden chance these past two competitions (Olympics included), and she missed it. I don't see her improving greatly, and especially with the rising Russians, I think it's unlikely for her to medal this season.
    I think with the rise of the Russians, Gold will be denied at least one GP win, and certainly denied the gold at the GPF. She has ground to make up on Lipnitskaia, and Radionova's PCS/scores will likely get a boost this year, considering her consistency (similar to Julia's second season).

Gold's lip and axel issues also need to be ironed out. If she's to beat Lipnitskaia she will have to deliver both a clean SP and a clean FS in one competition, and that is something she has yet to deliver (although something she's entirely capable of delivering).

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by skatefan17 View Post
    Gracie came an impressive 4th at the Olympic beating Julia, came close to medal at World scoring 70+ in SP
    though she missed on the podium, 2016 Worlds in Boston is hers to lose, 2014-2015 is perfect season to build her campaign
    2 solid GP wins can get her to GPF and can win her a Worlds medal if she does well next season

Actually there are still some elements that Gracie should work. With a clean program, and greater dedication on the artistic increased their score without the 3 axel.

But to do a triple axel the skaters must to practice for years, right?, Mao practices 3a since she was a kid.

On the Ice
    Quote Originally Posted by Antilopa View Post
    They should improve her 2A first.
    Agreed. Just saw her miss it twice on NBC's Worlds broadcast. Bronze was hers for the taking if she had completed those jumps. She looked like she was about to cry during the interview. A bronze at Worlds after her 1st National title and a 4th at the Olympics would have been a great way to end the season!

Custom Title
    I'll play

Ladies:

-Sotnikova will either not return or return and have a rough GP, then opting out of Russian Nats and Worlds.
    - Mao will take this season off but not retire officially. Carolina will not be back.
    -Julia will be plagued by growth or injury and have a difficult season but rally for Worlds. Conversely, Radionova will have a fabulous season and medal at Worlds, possibly winning.
    - GPF will be 3 Russians and 3 Americans with Osmond as a wildcard possibility
    -The US World team will again be Gracie, Ashley and Polina. Mirai will have a good Nationals but the judges will not let her into the top 3 and the tech caller will give her no breaks. Zawadski will stay in but get nowhere near the podium in Greensboro. Gao will retire.
    -Ashley will have a really good fall season and a much better Nationals. Polina's PCS will magically rise now that judges know her name. She will win one of her 2 GPs. Gracie will eeek into the GPF with a 1st place win (although she will have 2 errors in the FS) arranged by USFS who will try to ensure SA has an exceedingly weak ladies field and a bronze at Bompard but buckle at Nationals, losing her title to a hungry Polina or Ashley. Gracie will then rally to win a silver at Worlds.

Men's
    -Hanyu will continue to be the favorite but he'll end up losing the GPF to Javier who starts training with a new intensity w/ GPF in Spain.
    -Chan does not return this season.
    -Ten ends up on the World podium again.
    -Brown wins US Nationals and makes the GPF possibly even without a quad. He finishes top 5 at Worlds with spectacular Chan esque PCS. Rippon channels his disappointment into something great and is second at Nats. Farris beats Abbott for the third spot at Worlds. Abbott gets criticiZed when he complains to the media that he deserves the World spot as he earned it for the US. Max has a rough season and then retires.

Pairs
    -V&T do a GP but opt out of Worlds, citing nagging injury. They say they'll be back though. S&K are the new World champions.
    -Without Olympic pressure, D&R have a much better GP, medal at the GPF and win Canadians. They miss the podium at Worlds however and MT/M end up with their first Worlds medal.
    -The Chinese pairs continue to have great SPs and issues in the free skates that keep them from being true threats. Sui outgrows Han.
    -Barazo and her new partner will be a non factor. Berton and Hotarek retire.
    -Denney & Coughlin do not return. C&S have an up and down fall and people start saying they won't make the World team. They end up winning their third US title comfortably and take 6th at Worlds. Z&B take second again by being more consistent than the other teams. S&K have a good GP and even medal at one of their events but crack once again under pressure at Nationals after they're deemed favorites. K&O take third.

Dance
    -W&P have their banner year, winning the GPF and Worlds. B&S get back on the World podium. Chock & Bates, the new US champions, are fourth, setting them up for a podium placement in Boston.
    -The new Russian pairings are not insta-successes.
    -GPF is C/L, W/P, C/B, B/S, Shibs and surprise Paul and Islam who start their ascent w/ a silver at Skate Canada
    -V&M retire. D&W take the season off to finish school and continue with their Olympic champion opportunities but leave the door open for a return.
    -Hawayek & Baker are somewhat surprise silver medalists at Worlds. The Shibs remain 3rd as Hubbell & Donohue struggle a bit in the fall, which hurts their perception with the judges.

Finally a lot of Frozen show programs.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast