2014-15 Season Preview | Page 7 | Golden Skate

2014-15 Season Preview

FTnoona

Final Flight
I think Farris was also competing internationally as a junior during his first senior nationals where he placed 4th. During that season, he lost JGPF to Kovtun and won junior worlds.

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
I like Farris but he had better make a move soon. Falling behind the younger Jason Brown who doesnt even have a quad isnt a good sign for him. While CSG clearly overrated Kovtun's abilities at the moment, I dont think anyone would say Brown is above Kovtun right now, and Farris is firmly behind Brown after last season.

I don't see how suggesting he could win a GP (after 2 GP silvers last year) and suggesting he can crack 95 with a clean SP (I doubt anyone would have guessed Machida could get 98) and 170+ which he mathematically would have got at Worlds with a clean 4S, leading to a rather competitive score of 260-265 is so far fetched. He can crack 260 next season which is enough for most podiums, potentially even the GPF and Worlds if Machida and Fernandez falter and if Chan stays out.

Plenty of skaters have been underestimated who have performed more inferior to Fernandez/Machida/top guys like Ten, but lit it up at the right time and it benefited them. Kovtun with FS errors still beat a sloppy Fernandez last season so who's to say it can't happen again where Kovtun beats Machida (who scored just 233 at the GPF) or Fernandez (who scored below 230 a CoR) just last season. Ice is slippery as they say.

Isabel_O'Reilly

Final Flight
I'm sorry, but I don't think any Canadian or American singles skater has ever received personal best PCS with just 3-triples, and I don't think any American or Canadian pair/ice dancer has ever received a personal best score with a fall. Both happened at CoR.

NHK with Akiko being held below Mao was pretty bad too.

Gotta love TEB and Cup of China being the prettier sisters... although I'm sure if either country had well-rounded disciplines you'd see more politicking/PCS boosts for their skaters, too.

What do you mean, personal best? I assume you're talking about Yulia. Her score for LP was 13 points lower than her LP score at SC a few weeks before. She still executed a higher percentage of her higher base value. Carolina beat her in the LP by 4 points. You could argue which one really deserved to be "First" but to me at that particular competition the Gold Medal didn't really belong to either of them so I'm alright with the result. It would be completely different if Carolina had skated well and still lost.

pangtongfan

Match Penalty
I don't see how suggesting he could win a GP (after 2 GP silvers last year) and suggesting he can crack 95 with a clean SP (I doubt anyone would have guessed Machida could get 98) and 170+ which he mathematically would have got at Worlds with a clean 4S, leading to a rather competitive score of 260-265 is so far fetched. He can crack 260 next season which is enough for most podiums, potentially even the GPF and Worlds if Machida and Fernandez falter and if Chan stays out.

Plenty of skaters have been underestimated who have performed more inferior to Fernandez/Machida/top guys like Ten, but lit it up at the right time and it benefited them. Kovtun with FS errors still beat a sloppy Fernandez last season so who's to say it can't happen again where Kovtun beats Machida (who scored just 233 at the GPF) or Fernandez (who scored below 230 a CoR) just last season. Ice is slippery as they say.

Ten was not underestimated. Nobody could have reasonably predicted his podiums at major events (and they were aided by epic splatfests which were amongst the worst in history which also couldnt have been reasonably anticipated). I have already said however IMO Ten on a good day is quite clearly a better skater than Kovtun even at his potential best, atleast as he is now. If the judges scored it something different than that, then either Kovtun is being overrated or Ten is being underrated (as he already was, particularly at the 2013 worlds).

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
HTML:
What do you mean, personal best? I assume you're talking about Yulia. Her score for LP was 13 points lower than her LP score at SC a few weeks before. She still executed a higher percentage of her higher base value. Carolina beat her in the LP by 4 points. You could argue which one really deserved to be "First" but to me at that particular competition the Gold Medal didn't really belong to either of them so I'm alright with the result. It would be completely different if Carolina had skated well and still lost.

Her components scores for her freeskate ar COR was a personal best. As in, with just 3 triples executed (and a fall), she got the highest artistic scores she had achieved up to that point - more than Skate Canada where she went clean with 7 triples. It was as deplorable as Kostner getting a PCS personal best for her 3-triple FS at this past Worlds. :unsure: I suppose it was a favour being returned.

Kostner also should have definitely won the SP over Lipnitskaia who benefited from her flutz being neglected and from outrageous PCS boosting that was typical of Russian skaters in that competition, along with their main competitors' scores being held back.

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
Ten was not underestimated. Nobody could have reasonably predicted his podiums at major events (and they were aided by epic splatfests which were amongst the worst in history which also couldnt have been reasonably anticipated). I have already said however IMO Ten on a good day is quite clearly a better skater than Kovtun even at his potential best, atleast as he is now. If the judges scored it something different than that, then either Kovtun is being overrated or Ten is being underrated (as he already was, particularly at the 2013 worlds).

Ten has given two good competitions and the rest have been pretty poor. Lucky for him both competitions have been 2013 Worlds and 2014 Olympics but he gives no indication in early season about his potential success at big events.

He's a bit of a Laetitia Hubert in that he could place 1st or last depending on which one of him shows up.

I was saying he was underestimated before 2013 Worlds (NOBODY could have predicted him to do so well - he smashed his PB by like 27 points or something like that). His ability to give that performance was underestimated, never mind the splatfests that ensured his medaling.

I think Ten is a better skater than Kovtun overall, but like Ten I think Kovtun has the potential to surprise. The results of 2014 Worlds are uncharacteristic in that it was by far the best event ever for a men's podium (all scoring 275 or higher). But each of those skaters has scored season lows of 234.80 (Hanyu), 236.03 (Machida), 226.99 (Fernandez), so several skaters can best them if they're having an off day, including Kovtun.

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
I like Farris but he had better make a move soon. Falling behind the younger Jason Brown who doesnt even have a quad isnt a good sign for him.

Um...

1. Farris is younger than Brown.

2. Farris and Brown have consistently swapped places since they were ten years old. One would be ahead, the other would catch up, then go ahead, then the other would catch up.

3. Farris was also injured during the last season. He and Brown had identical GP debuts - 5th - though Farris was the top American at Skate Canada while Brown was the third. But Farris had to withdraw before COR.

Jammers

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
If Josh can finally start landing his quads and get consistent he will blow past Kotvun. He's a vastly superior skater overall.

anyanka

Record Breaker
Hi all! I think that I missed it, but when do the GP series assignments get announced? I remember it usually being in the summer IIRC. I'm trying to plan a trip, likely to Skate America or Skate Canada, and SC tix go on sale tomorrow. I can assume certain star athletes will get their home assignments (e.g. Gracie for SA, W/P, D/R for SC, Yulia and V/T for COR), but am waiting until I see the full slate of competitors to decide which one to attend. Thanks! :)

Ryan O

Final Flight
Country
Canada
The National Team for next season hasn't even been officially determined yet, so it's still early. The current National Team technically expires next week (April 30).

http://www.skatecanada.ca/en-us/athletes/nationalteam.aspx

So the new one has not been announced yet. We have to remember that Tessa & Scott, Patrick Chan, Jeremy Ten, etc. have not made final decisions as to whether they are competing next year, and so Skate Canada still has to determine who is going to be in the Top 5 in each category. This won't happen until May.

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
V/M recently said they would not be competing for the rest of 2014, but made no mention of their plans beyond that point. Obviously, though, they won't be in the GP.

anyanka

Record Breaker
V/M recently said they would not be competing for the rest of 2014, but made no mention of their plans beyond that point. Obviously, though, they won't be in the GP.

The way the commentators were going on about them in Sochi, it seemed like a career summation / valedictory of some kind. I don't expect them to be back, they'll yield the floor to W/P. I'll miss them, they had few equals.

Ryan O

Final Flight
Country
Canada
Yes, you are right that it sounds like V&M are getting ready to hand over to W&P. Especially now that W&P moved onto the podium in their absence. And with G&P and P&I getting into the Top 10, they're leaving Canadian ice dance in solid hands and now strong enough to maintain 3 spots.

chairmanmao

Final Flight
Well, the difference is, Gold at SA will likely be given an easy field to ensure a GP win and GPF entry. If an elite skater went there, Gold would be in danger of losing In CoR, even elite skaters can go there and not receive the PCS they deserve while the Russian skaters will be given breaks, like the most recent Olympics and CoR. The funny thing is, Lipnitskaia and B/S at their best would have deserved
to win CoR last year, but the way they were propped up for how poorly they skating their free programs was appalling. I guess Carolina got it back when she was kept up high enough to maintain World bronze over Pogorilaya after having a meltdown similar to the one that Lipnitskaia had which denied her the CoR gold and GPF entry.

At least you could be a little more subtle with your hypocrisy. Of course it's a good result as long as the Russians are the once being underhanded. So according to your remarkable logic Pogorilaya who skated 2 perfect programs deserve her fourth place in worlds because Lipnitskaia(who BTW you said deserved to win) was propped up in some B event. Truly mind boggling that anyone would dare even think Kostner in anyway deserved her third place. No need for 100+ page threads for analyzing footwork, PCS, and GOE.

ShellyC

Rinkside
Hi all! I think that I missed it, but when do the GP series assignments get announced? I remember it usually being in the summer IIRC. I'm trying to plan a trip, likely to Skate America or Skate Canada, and SC tix go on sale tomorrow. I can assume certain star athletes will get their home assignments (e.g. Gracie for SA, W/P, D/R for SC, Yulia and V/T for COR), but am waiting until I see the full slate of competitors to decide which one to attend. Thanks! :)

There's a meeting on June 27th in Vegas to decide them and they should be announced soon after that, keep an eye on the ISU website and their facebook page is usually kept fairly up to date :)

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
It's all such a crapshoot that it's appropriate that they are holding the meeting in Las Vegas :rofl:

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
CSG doesn't have a good grasp of how the fields for any given GP event are chosen. No host has complete control over the skaters for an event unless that host magically gets first draw in every round, which is statistically unlikely to happen.