Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 LastLast

Thread: 2014-15 Season Preview

Medalist
    Quote Originally Posted by CanadianSkaterGuy View Post
    Well, the difference is, Gold at SA will likely be given an easy field to ensure a GP win and GPF entry. If an elite skater went there, Gold would be in danger of losing In CoR, even elite skaters can go there and not receive the PCS they deserve while the Russian skaters will be given breaks, like the most recent Olympics and CoR. The funny thing is, Lipnitskaia and B/S at their best would have deserved
    to win CoR last year, but the way they were propped up for how poorly they skating their free programs was appalling. I guess Carolina got it back when she was kept up high enough to maintain World bronze over Pogorilaya after having a meltdown similar to the one that Lipnitskaia had which denied her the CoR gold and GPF entry.
    At least you could be a little more subtle with your hypocrisy. Of course it's a good result as long as the Russians are the once being underhanded. So according to your remarkable logic Pogorilaya who skated 2 perfect programs deserve her fourth place in worlds because Lipnitskaia(who BTW you said deserved to win) was propped up in some B event. Truly mind boggling that anyone would dare even think Kostner in anyway deserved her third place. No need for 100+ page threads for analyzing footwork, PCS, and GOE.

Rinkside
    Quote Originally Posted by anyanka View Post
    Hi all! I think that I missed it, but when do the GP series assignments get announced? I remember it usually being in the summer IIRC. I'm trying to plan a trip, likely to Skate America or Skate Canada, and SC tix go on sale tomorrow. I can assume certain star athletes will get their home assignments (e.g. Gracie for SA, W/P, D/R for SC, Yulia and V/T for COR), but am waiting until I see the full slate of competitors to decide which one to attend. Thanks!
    There's a meeting on June 27th in Vegas to decide them and they should be announced soon after that, keep an eye on the ISU website and their facebook page is usually kept fairly up to date

Wicked Yankee Girl dorispulaski's Avatar
    It's all such a crapshoot that it's appropriate that they are holding the meeting in Las Vegas

Custom Title
    CSG doesn't have a good grasp of how the fields for any given GP event are chosen. No host has complete control over the skaters for an event unless that host magically gets first draw in every round, which is statistically unlikely to happen.

Custom Title
    never mind -- someone answered my question above!

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by chairmanmao View Post
    At least you could be a little more subtle with your hypocrisy. Of course it's a good result as long as the Russians are the once being underhanded. So according to your remarkable logic Pogorilaya who skated 2 perfect programs deserve her fourth place in worlds because Lipnitskaia(who BTW you said deserved to win) was propped up in some B event. Truly mind boggling that anyone would dare even think Kostner in anyway deserved her third place. No need for 100+ page threads for analyzing footwork, PCS, and GOE.
    I was being sardonic. Obviously I don't think Kostner deserved her World bronze. I was just saying, it was probably some karma for having been screwed out of the GPF by the ridiculous CoR results. Unfortunately it came at the expense of a less popular skater who was brilliant. I couldn't care less if Pogo were Russian or Puerto Rican.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by dorispulaski View Post
    It's all such a crapshoot that it's appropriate that they are holding the meeting in Las Vegas
    OK that made me LMAO

Or maybe they were looking for ideas or inspiration from the Cirque du Soleil acrobats?

Quote Originally Posted by Jammers View Post
    If Josh can finally start landing his quads and get consistent he will blow past Kotvun. He's a vastly superior skater overall.
    This.

Custom Title
    Josh can threaten Kovtun all right, but if I was Kovtun, I'd be looking over my shoulder for another young Russian man...if the improvement we've seen already from Artur continues and his head gets into gear, he'll trounce Kovtun.

Missing Tdizzle and SDiggity golden411's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ShellyC View Post
    There's a meeting on June 27th in Vegas to decide them and they should be announced soon after that, keep an eye on the ISU website and their facebook page is usually kept fairly up to date
    Ever since the comment here about the ISU Facebook page was posted, it has puzzled me.

In my experience, the ISU FB page for figure skating does not even attempt to offer news in a timely fashion.

Example:
    Only yesterday did the ISU FS FB page make its first and only mention of the Jun 27 announcement of GP assignments.
    And (not surprisingly) the ISU general FB page has not mentioned the GP assignments at all.

Not blaming ShellyC, of course. I just wish that the ISU would make a bigger effort with its FB pages.

Quote Originally Posted by Sam-Skwantch View Post
    It's easier for me to follow the goings on in Russian figure skating than what's going on in my home country. VK ,the Russian FB, has multiple fan pages for the top skaters and a few general Russian Figure Skaters fan pages. I follow one that loves Adelina and Yulia but keep tabs and post photos and story's for I/Z, V/T, Kovtun,and B/S. I was searching recently for online US figure skating pages and only found a few personal FB pages but no real active fan clubs like the one I found for Yulia. She participates in group chats occasionally... Posts there regularly herself.....and every news story that comes out gets posted to the wall. While I their efforts I have to wonder.....either it's not happening here in the US on the same level or I am just not searching correctly
    Sam-S:
    If you're looking for anyone in particular, how about reviving the old thread about skaters and social media, or starting a new one? Maybe others from GS have some good links to share. Might be worth a try.

Size 7 Knife Boots Sam-Skwantch's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by golden411 View Post
    Sam-S:
    If you're looking for anyone in particular, how about reviving the old thread about skaters and social media, or starting a new one? Maybe others from GS have some good links to share. Might be worth a try.
    Thank you...I was considering starting a new thread (deleted my post and was going to repost there)but am always game to perform CPR on an old thread.

TBH....GS is where it's at. Does one really need more?

Quote Originally Posted by Sam-Skwantch View Post
    Thank you...I was considering starting a new thread (deleted my post and was going to repost there)but am always game to perform CPR on an old thread.
    Oh, please don't let me stop you from starting a new thread.

The earlier thread is quite old, IIRC ... I was too lazy to look it up, LOL. I don't remember which skaters and links were discussed there.

I found a few relevant threads, but they are all archived, however, worth linking in a new thread:

http://www.goldenskate.com/forum/sho...n-social-media

http://www.goldenskate.com/forum/sho...t=social+media

Originally Posted by Sam-Skwantch
    It's easier for me to follow the goings on in Russian figure skating than what's going on in my home country. VK ,the Russian FB, has multiple fan pages for the top skaters and a few general Russian Figure Skaters fan pages. I follow one that loves Adelina and Yulia but keep tabs and post photos and story's for I/Z, V/T, Kovtun,and B/S. I was searching recently for online US figure skating pages and only found a few personal FB pages but no real active fan clubs like the one I found for Yulia. She participates in group chats occasionally... Posts there regularly herself.....and every news story that comes out gets posted to the wall. While I their efforts I have to wonder.....either it's not happening here in the US on the same level or I am just not searching correctly
    Attn: Sam-Skwantch
    Re: Fan pages

If you are still interested in fan pages for U.S. skaters, I just noticed this directory on the recently upgraded GS site . (Don't know whether the directory is something new or whether I had overlooked it on the old GS site.)

The listings are for both fan pages and the skater's official websites.

Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 LastLast