Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 LastLast

Thread: 2014-15 Season Preview

Custom Title
    I can't decide now who should be in the ladies team of Russia. I need to see the new choreographies and potential developments during the summertime sadness of no competitions But deep in my heart, I want to see Pogorilaya competing at Euros and Worlds. Nobody would guess Machida would be the no.2 of Japanese men team this season, why not Pogorilaya next season?

And for the junior ladies team of Russia: I want Sotskova to get well and dominate next season while Radionova going senior. Sotskova-Sakhanovich-Proklova trio to potentially sweep of Junior ladies podium!!

And for the US ladies: I hope we will see a real battle between Ashley and Gracie that we can't decide which one is better! Third spot for Edmunds, Nagasu or Cesario.

On the Ice
    Quote Originally Posted by Antilopa View Post
    They should improve her 2A first.
    Agreed. Just saw her miss it twice on NBC's Worlds broadcast. Bronze was hers for the taking if she had completed those jumps. She looked like she was about to cry during the interview. A bronze at Worlds after her 1st National title and a 4th at the Olympics would have been a great way to end the season!

Custom Title
    I'll play

Ladies:

-Sotnikova will either not return or return and have a rough GP, then opting out of Russian Nats and Worlds.
    - Mao will take this season off but not retire officially. Carolina will not be back.
    -Julia will be plagued by growth or injury and have a difficult season but rally for Worlds. Conversely, Radionova will have a fabulous season and medal at Worlds, possibly winning.
    - GPF will be 3 Russians and 3 Americans with Osmond as a wildcard possibility
    -The US World team will again be Gracie, Ashley and Polina. Mirai will have a good Nationals but the judges will not let her into the top 3 and the tech caller will give her no breaks. Zawadski will stay in but get nowhere near the podium in Greensboro. Gao will retire.
    -Ashley will have a really good fall season and a much better Nationals. Polina's PCS will magically rise now that judges know her name. She will win one of her 2 GPs. Gracie will eeek into the GPF with a 1st place win (although she will have 2 errors in the FS) arranged by USFS who will try to ensure SA has an exceedingly weak ladies field and a bronze at Bompard but buckle at Nationals, losing her title to a hungry Polina or Ashley. Gracie will then rally to win a silver at Worlds.

Men's
    -Hanyu will continue to be the favorite but he'll end up losing the GPF to Javier who starts training with a new intensity w/ GPF in Spain.
    -Chan does not return this season.
    -Ten ends up on the World podium again.
    -Brown wins US Nationals and makes the GPF possibly even without a quad. He finishes top 5 at Worlds with spectacular Chan esque PCS. Rippon channels his disappointment into something great and is second at Nats. Farris beats Abbott for the third spot at Worlds. Abbott gets criticiZed when he complains to the media that he deserves the World spot as he earned it for the US. Max has a rough season and then retires.

Pairs
    -V&T do a GP but opt out of Worlds, citing nagging injury. They say they'll be back though. S&K are the new World champions.
    -Without Olympic pressure, D&R have a much better GP, medal at the GPF and win Canadians. They miss the podium at Worlds however and MT/M end up with their first Worlds medal.
    -The Chinese pairs continue to have great SPs and issues in the free skates that keep them from being true threats. Sui outgrows Han.
    -Barazo and her new partner will be a non factor. Berton and Hotarek retire.
    -Denney & Coughlin do not return. C&S have an up and down fall and people start saying they won't make the World team. They end up winning their third US title comfortably and take 6th at Worlds. Z&B take second again by being more consistent than the other teams. S&K have a good GP and even medal at one of their events but crack once again under pressure at Nationals after they're deemed favorites. K&O take third.

Dance
    -W&P have their banner year, winning the GPF and Worlds. B&S get back on the World podium. Chock & Bates, the new US champions, are fourth, setting them up for a podium placement in Boston.
    -The new Russian pairings are not insta-successes.
    -GPF is C/L, W/P, C/B, B/S, Shibs and surprise Paul and Islam who start their ascent w/ a silver at Skate Canada
    -V&M retire. D&W take the season off to finish school and continue with their Olympic champion opportunities but leave the door open for a return.
    -Hawayek & Baker are somewhat surprise silver medalists at Worlds. The Shibs remain 3rd as Hubbell & Donohue struggle a bit in the fall, which hurts their perception with the judges.

Finally a lot of Frozen show programs.

Banned
    All this talk and implying that V&T are worried about S&K is so crazy it makes me break into an uncontrollable fit of laughter each time I read it. V&T fell three times at Europeans and easily beat a 2 clean program S&K last year, even nearly winning the LP a well. S&K would have lost to Duhamel & Radford at worlds had D&R gone, and a cautious S&S easily crushed them.

On the Ice
    That if Sotnikova returns. But I can see those standings shuffling depending to who the judges give the skating with passion bonus hahaha
    I don't think that Sotnikova is going to return. The Russian bench is so deep now, and I don't think that she will ever be able to replicate the success that she had in Sochi. With the exception of Yuna in 2010, every lady since 1992 has retired after winning the OGM.

My prediction - Gold will make a mess of her program at worlds and Russians will have the podium sweep (Lipnitskaya - gold, Sotnikova- silver and Radionova-bronze). Poor Pogorilaya won't be sent to worlds because she will place fourth at the nationals.
    I think that Gold is starting to feel the pressure of being the US #1. But I think that Frank will get her head together before Worlds next year. She also needs to work on her 2A (as another poster has already said), and skate to music that is more powerful and less princess-y.

Other predictions for next year: Ashley continues to stay on her feet, but is not rewarded by the judges. She places third at Nationals, then decides to retire shortly after an 8th place finish at Worlds. Pogo has an artistic breakthrough and overtakes Yulia in the pecking order.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by pangtongfan View Post
    All this talk and implying that V&T are worried about S&K is so crazy it makes me break into an uncontrollable fit of laughter each time I read it. V&T fell three times at Europeans and easily beat a 2 clean program S&K last year, even nearly winning the LP a well. S&K would have lost to Duhamel & Radford at worlds had D&R gone, and a cautious S&S easily crushed them.
    I never said they were afraid. I think it's an issue of motivation and having other opportunities. I don't think they'll show up untrained and while they committed to the GP in an interview, they seemed less certain on Worlds. I also don't think they'll beat S&K with 3 falls again now that S@K are a known proven entity which they weren't yet at Euros.

Also D/R did go to Worlds. Perhaps you meant if they had gone clean but they didn't as was often the case this season

In search of a summer sport to love <3 desertskates's Avatar
    I mostly agree with what everyone is saying. I think Hanyu will dominate the men.
    I also think that a Russian sweep of the ladies podium and Grand Prix Final and Worlds is a real possibility. I do think Gracie, Ashley and Polina will continue as the US top 3, but on a world level had better get used to the placement of 4, 5, and 6 in whatever order.

Quote Originally Posted by TwinnerA View Post
    Agreed. Just saw her miss it twice on NBC's Worlds broadcast. Bronze was hers for the taking if she had completed those jumps. She looked like she was about to cry during the interview. A bronze at Worlds after her 1st National title and a 4th at the Olympics would have been a great way to end the season!
    Not a huge fan of Gracie (for non-figure skating reasons) but I did feel very sorry for her when she missed them...

Agreed, if Carroll can just get her to fix up her other jumps, she wouldn't (and really shouldn't) do a triple axel. She's not getting the height that she used to on her jumps...

I really do hope that someone does incorporate a triple axel next season (whether if Mao is coming back), I know jumps aren't everything but it's just as exciting to watch when men attempt quads.

Quote Originally Posted by flutzy13 View Post

Men's
    -Hanyu will continue to be the favorite but he'll end up losing the GPF to Javier who starts training with a new intensity
    -Chan does not return this season.
    -Ten ends up on the World podium again.
    -Brown wins US Nationals and makes the GPF possibly even without a quad. He finishes top 5 at Worlds with spectacular Chan esque PCS. Rippon channels his disappointment into something great and is second at Nats. Farris beats Abbott for the third spot at Worlds. Abbott gets criticiZed when he complains to the media that he deserves the World spot as he earned it for the US. Max has a rough season and then retires.
    Agreed. Though for some reason I just don't see the burning fire in Javi that I see in Yuzu. He said he had a tough time training for Worlds after the Olympics and while he is a great skater and his quads look great when he's on, I don't get this sense that he really wants to win the world title... you know what I mean?

Like with Tatsuki, the way he skates, you can just feel the desire oozing out of his skating and in a sense have something to prove. Javi has already done a lot for European men's skating so I feel like his motivation isn't enough to carry him throughout. I may be wrong though, in fact I hope I'm wrong because it would be awfully boring to watch Yuzu win everything without any contention.

I've never been into the American men's but your predictions are intriguing, I hope some junior join in the fray in 2-3 seasons.

Adding on to everyone else's predictions for men: after a disastrous beginning of last season with Denis, his bronze at Sochi gives him the morale he needs to be more consistent this season.

On the Ice
    I like Jason but I don' believe that he will make GPF or get Chan esque components without a quad.

There was at least one similar thread.

Yuzu's going to win again the world title and the 4S won't be a problem anymore.
    Denis will win the silver medal at the WC.
    Nam will have some good results (at least top 10 at WC).
    Unfortunately, Machida won't repeat the great performance from this year.
    S/K will beat V/T one time next season, but not at the worlds.
    Elena will win the european championship.
    Adelina will get a medal at the worlds, but not the gold medal.
    V/M and D/W will officially retire.
    No notable results for Han, Kovtun, Jason or Polina.

Custom Title
    This year was Nam's first Worlds and he almost beat Kevin Reynolds, so he could certainly move up a couple of spots into the Top 10 next year. Considering how close Nam was to Kevin, it's a warning to the latter that he needs to start skating more consistently or he will be at risk of getting dumped by the judges.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by hanca View Post
    My prediction - Gold will make a mess of her program at worlds and Russians will have the podium sweep (Lipnitskaya - gold, Sotnikova- silver and Radionova-bronze). Poor Pogorilaya won't be sent to worlds because she will place fourth at the nationals.
    I agree... considering Russia's depth of ladies' skaters, even the 4th or 5th place finisher at Nationals could claim a World medal and push others like Gold off the podium.

I do think Radionova will be a breakout star this year. She already qualified for the GPF as essentially a junior. She has the unrefined qualities that Lipnitskaia had in her first year on the GP, and after a summer of cleaning that up, she might just mirror Julia's success last year.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryan O View Post
    This year was Nam's first Worlds and he almost beat Kevin Reynolds, so he could certainly move up a couple of spots into the Top 10 next year. Considering how close Nam was to Kevin, it's a warning to the latter that he needs to start skating more consistently or he will be at risk of getting dumped by the judges.
    I think as long as Nam doesn't have a consistent quad, Reynolds is safe. Plus if Chan's out of the way, Reynolds will be eying the Canadian title and will probably be looking to ensure he gets it. Nam shows great potential and might surprise on the GP circuit, but he's a ways away from being a threat.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Silvia451 View Post
    There was at least one similar thread.

Yuzu's going to win again the world title and the 4S won't be a problem anymore.
    Denis will win the silver medal at the WC.
    Nam will have some good results (at least top 10 at WC).
    Unfortunately, Machida won't repeat the great performance from this year.
    S/K will beat V/T one time next season, but not at the worlds.
    Elena will win the european championship.
    Adelina will get a medal at the worlds, but not the gold medal.
    V/M and D/W will officially retire.
    No notable results for Han, Kovtun, Jason or Polina.
    Define notable results? Kovtun will likely win Russian Nationals, a GP event, and potentially a World medal. Edmunds might threaten for the US title if she maintains consistency and has a shot at GP medals, maybe even the GPF. Brown also has a more consistent axel, so he'll get some GP medal(s) this season, likely. Han is also a threat too, if he can maintain his focus and consistency with his quad, given the GOE he gets on his elements.

Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 LastLast