2014-15 Season Preview | Page 4 | Golden Skate

2014-15 Season Preview

FSGMT

Record Breaker
if they get Skate America, C/L arent consistent either, C/B can win
so do B/S at CoR or can be beaten by S/K
Yes, but now winning any GP gold means facing both C/B and B/S (one of the two twice, or each of the two once), which would be really unfortunate for them: possible, yes, but not really probable, especially given the fact that I don't think C/B can realistically beat C/L, now that they have the European+World champions reputation added to their already existing advantage over C/B... :think: Anyway, we all know that in our sport everything is possible! ;):popcorn:

flutzy13

On the Ice
Yes, but now winning any GP gold means facing both C/B and B/S (one of the two twice, or each of the two once), which would be really unfortunate for them: possible, yes, but not really probable, especially given the fact that I don't think C/B can realistically beat C/L, now that they have the European+World champions reputation added to their already existing advantage over C/B... :think: Anyway, we all know that in our sport everything is possible! ;):popcorn:

I think they could but only at SA and only if C&L open the door a little by losing some levels

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
if they get Skate America, C/L arent consistent either, C/B can win
so do B/S at CoR or can be beaten by S/K

Uh, if you think C/B won't be the US No. 1, and you're saying C/B can defeat C/L, that effectively means you believe the Shibs (or another US Ice dance team) can surpass the current World Champions, Cappelini/Lanotte (who beat the Shibs by 17 points at Worlds). :unsure:

Please don't delete your predictions, sky_fly, as I'm sure we'll be needing a couple laughs in the post-Olympic depression season. :popcorn:

pangtongfan

Match Penalty
Given the fact that they won't face W/P in their GP events, it would be REALLY a meltdown for them to be beaten by someone in BOTH of them... C/B? Possible, but in both events is really unlikely. Then, who's left? Shibs, who are far far behind them right now? S/K or I/Z? Debuting couples winning GP gold? Even more unlikely!

Obviously B&S are the biggest threats. We can be sure they will get COR and whoever faces them there is a certain loss. It will be interesting to see which of W&P, C&L, or C&B is the unlucky one to be sent to COR to take 2nd behind B&S, but they might prefer to invite W&P or C&L and have that team finish 2nd behind a fixed win for B&S, to make a statement B&S are on the way back up. :rolleye: B&S also have an outside shot of beating C&L or W&P under neutral setting, a bigger chance of C&L than W&P actually IMO.

Other than that they should be ok, but who knows. If they face Chock & Bates at Skate America they will probably face some biased judging and could lose if they are off (even if they almost certainly wouldnt on neutral territory). Italy doesnt have a host grand prix so they wont be assured of a protected event they are guaranteed to win like Weaver & Poje at Skate Canada (unless V&M are back), and Bobrova & Soloviev at the Rostelecom Cup. And who knows as well, neither D&W or V&M have confirmed retirement yet, and it wouldnt be that surprising if atleast 1 are back, and that throws everything up in the air, and pity the poor top seed who draws them in their events.

kurenaile

Spectator
anyone knows when we could get the allotment results for grand prix series this season? and how that should be done?
Thanks!

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
Can we just keep the Russians and lower tier skaters at Cup of Russia? It's so obvious that the judging will favour Russian skaters that its simply unfair to send any skater hoping to win a GP or qualify for the GPF, especially ice dance and ladies.

Alvoff

Spectator
Can we just keep the Russians and lower tier skaters at Cup of Russia? It's so obvious that the judging will favour Russian skaters that its simply unfair to send any skater hoping to win a GP or qualify for the GPF, especially ice dance and ladies.

May be we should just keep Canadians and lower tier skaters at the Skate Canada? It It's so obvious that the judging will favour Canadian skaters that its simply unfair to send any skater hoping to win a GP or qualify for the GPF, especially ice dance and men

Antilopa

On the Ice
and Gold at SA?

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
May be we should just keep Canadians and lower tier skaters at the Skate Canada? It It's so obvious that the judging will favour Canadian skaters that its simply unfair to send any skater hoping to win a GP or qualify for the GPF, especially ice dance and men

Uh, right. Look at last season's results: http://www.isuresults.com/results/gpcan2013/
Shouldn't D/R have won pairs then, instead of placing behind B/H and S/H? Obviously Chan deserved to beat Hanyu and the rest of the competition. And obviously V/M and W/P deserved to beat H/D.

Everyone knows that Cup of Russia was the biggest farce of judging last season, in conjunction with scores from Sochi. Lipnitskaia winning with 3 triples (and a score of 118), B/S winning with a fall in their FD and higher PCS than W/P. Then of course Sotnikova in the individual event in Sochi, Plushenko in the team FS in Sochi being held up even though other skaters should have certainly placed higher, and both of V/T's FS throw errors being neglected. After Sochi/CoR, who would wanna compete in Russia again?

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
and Gold at SA?

Well, the difference is, Gold at SA will likely be given an easy field to ensure a GP win and GPF entry. If an elite skater went there, Gold would be in danger of losing In CoR, even elite skaters can go there and not receive the PCS they deserve while the Russian skaters will be given breaks, like the most recent Olympics and CoR. The funny thing is, Lipnitskaia and B/S at their best would have deserved to win CoR last year, but the way they were propped up for how poorly they skating their free programs was appalling. I guess Carolina got it back when she was kept up high enough to maintain World bronze over Pogorilaya after having a meltdown similar to the one that Lipnitskaia had which denied her the CoR gold and GPF entry.

coolboogie22

Match Penalty
Mirai Nagasu will prove that USFS make the bad choice for sending Ashley Wagner to Sochi and she will beat Ashley all season. That's my biggest wishes :)

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
Mirai Nagasu will prove that USFS make the bad choice for sending Ashley Wagner to Sochi and she will beat Ashley all season. That's my biggest wishes :)

That is a big wish. I hope Mirai will do well, but she would be pressed to beat Wagner. If Wagner bombs and Mirai skates cleanly, like at Nationals, sure... but I would hardly expect either to happen all season.

flutzy13

On the Ice
That is a big wish. I hope Mirai will do well, but she would be pressed to beat Wagner. If Wagner bombs and Mirai skates cleanly, like at Nationals, sure... but I would hardly expect either to happen all season.

I think USFS will be out to prove they made the absolutely right decision and are probably not thrilled Mirai is not just quietly retiring. I expect that tech caller at Nationals to show her no mercy. And I say this as someone who enjoyed her immensely in Boston. I also don't expect Wagner to lay another egg at Nationals with the pressure of defending a title and an Olympic year now off her shoulders.

skatefan17

On the Ice
I predict 2014-15 as breakout year for Sui/Han
and we could be seeing a total domination by Gracie in the Grand Prix series, World silver or World gold leading to Boston 2016
Elena will be the top Russian in 2015, a World medal

I LOVE Gracie, and actually have only started following skating again because of her, and even I am not that delusional. I think she had her golden chance these past two competitions (Olympics included), and she missed it. I don't see her improving greatly, and especially with the rising Russians, I think it's unlikely for her to medal this season.

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
I think USFS will be out to prove they made the absolutely right decision and are probably not thrilled Mirai is not just quietly retiring. I expect that tech caller at Nationals to show her no mercy. And I say this as someone who enjoyed her immensely in Boston. I also don't expect Wagner to lay another egg at Nationals with the pressure of defending a title and an Olympic year now off her shoulders.

Well, Mirai is also a bit of a dud internationally with Wagner having much better potential for good results. Even though she was "only" 7th at Worlds, Wagner posted a strong score which would have won a lot of GP events last season (not to mention she DID win a GP event last season). And if Carolina/Mao/Suzuki are out, that puts her as the 4th best skater from Worlds, so obviously a GP win contender (though not assured with the upcoming Russians and possibly a solid return of Sotnikova). Mirai on the other hand is unlikely to post scores as good as Wagner... and if she does skate well technically perhaps it'll come at a cost of the program (as we saw at Nationals). I do hope Mirai can bounce back though because she has experienced success in the past (the bronze on the GP last year was a nice surprise), but her inconsistency might be too hard to overcome.

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
I LOVE Gracie, and actually have only started following skating again because of her, and even I am not that delusional. I think she had her golden chance these past two competitions (Olympics included), and she missed it. I don't see her improving greatly, and especially with the rising Russians, I think it's unlikely for her to medal this season.

I think with the rise of the Russians, Gold will be denied at least one GP win, and certainly denied the gold at the GPF. She has ground to make up on Lipnitskaia, and Radionova's PCS/scores will likely get a boost this year, considering her consistency (similar to Julia's second season).

Gold's lip and axel issues also need to be ironed out. If she's to beat Lipnitskaia she will have to deliver both a clean SP and a clean FS in one competition, and that is something she has yet to deliver (although something she's entirely capable of delivering).

sky_fly20

Match Penalty

Gracie came an impressive 4th at the Olympic beating Julia, came close to medal at World scoring 70+ in SP
though she missed on the podium, 2016 Worlds in Boston is hers to lose, 2014-2015 is perfect season to build her campaign
2 solid GP wins can get her to GPF and can win her a Worlds medal if she does well next season