2014-15 Season Preview | Page 8 | Golden Skate

2014-15 Season Preview

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
At least you could be a little more subtle with your hypocrisy. Of course it's a good result as long as the Russians are the once being underhanded. So according to your remarkable logic Pogorilaya who skated 2 perfect programs deserve her fourth place in worlds because Lipnitskaia(who BTW you said deserved to win) was propped up in some B event. Truly mind boggling that anyone would dare even think Kostner in anyway deserved her third place. No need for 100+ page threads for analyzing footwork, PCS, and GOE.

I was being sardonic. Obviously I don't think Kostner deserved her World bronze. I was just saying, it was probably some karma for having been screwed out of the GPF by the ridiculous CoR results. Unfortunately it came at the expense of a less popular skater who was brilliant. I couldn't care less if Pogo were Russian or Puerto Rican.

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
Josh can threaten Kovtun all right, but if I was Kovtun, I'd be looking over my shoulder for another young Russian man...if the improvement we've seen already from Artur continues and his head gets into gear, he'll trounce Kovtun.

ice coverage

Record Breaker
There's a meeting on June 27th in Vegas to decide them and they should be announced soon after that, keep an eye on the ISU website and their facebook page is usually kept fairly up to date :)

Ever since the comment here about the ISU Facebook page was posted, it has puzzled me.

In my experience, the ISU FB page for figure skating does not even attempt to offer news in a timely fashion. :eek:hwell:

Example:
Only yesterday did the ISU FS FB page make its first and only mention of the Jun 27 announcement of GP assignments.
And (not surprisingly) the ISU general FB page has not mentioned the GP assignments at all.

Not blaming ShellyC, of course. I just wish that the ISU would make a bigger effort with its FB pages.

ice coverage

Record Breaker
It's easier for me to follow the goings on in Russian figure skating than what's going on in my home country. VK ,the Russian FB, has multiple fan pages for the top skaters and a few general Russian Figure Skaters fan pages. I follow one that loves Adelina and Yulia but keep tabs and post photos and story's for I/Z, V/T, Kovtun,and B/S. I was searching recently for online US figure skating pages and only found a few personal FB pages but no real active fan clubs like the one I found for Yulia. She participates in group chats occasionally... Posts there regularly herself.....and every news story that comes out gets posted to the wall. While I :clap: their efforts I have to wonder.....either it's not happening here in the US on the same level or I am just not searching correctly :)

Sam-S:
If you're looking for anyone in particular, how about reviving the old thread about skaters and social media, or starting a new one? Maybe others from GS have some good links to share. Might be worth a try.

Sam-Skwantch

“I solemnly swear I’m up to no good”
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Sam-S:
If you're looking for anyone in particular, how about reviving the old thread about skaters and social media, or starting a new one? Maybe others from GS have some good links to share. Might be worth a try.

Thank you...I was considering starting a new thread (deleted my post and was going to repost there)but am always game to perform CPR on an old thread.

TBH....GS is where it's at. Does one really need more?

ice coverage

Record Breaker
Thank you...I was considering starting a new thread (deleted my post and was going to repost there)but am always game to perform CPR on an old thread.

Oh, please don't let me stop you from starting a new thread.

The earlier thread is quite old, IIRC ... I was too lazy to look it up, LOL. ;) I don't remember which skaters and links were discussed there.

ice coverage

Record Breaker
Originally Posted by Sam-Skwantch
It's easier for me to follow the goings on in Russian figure skating than what's going on in my home country. VK ,the Russian FB, has multiple fan pages for the top skaters and a few general Russian Figure Skaters fan pages. I follow one that loves Adelina and Yulia but keep tabs and post photos and story's for I/Z, V/T, Kovtun,and B/S. I was searching recently for online US figure skating pages and only found a few personal FB pages but no real active fan clubs like the one I found for Yulia. She participates in group chats occasionally... Posts there regularly herself.....and every news story that comes out gets posted to the wall. While I their efforts I have to wonder.....either it's not happening here in the US on the same level or I am just not searching correctly

Attn: Sam-Skwantch
Re: Fan pages

If you are still interested in fan pages for U.S. skaters, I just noticed this directory on the recently upgraded GS site :). (Don't know whether the directory is something new or whether I had overlooked it on the old GS site.)

The listings are for both fan pages and the skater's official websites.

starlight97

Final Flight
What I think is gonna happen ( That's my opinion but also stuff I'm constantly hearing from the German like skating predictors)

Men:
- Yuzuru dominating men's

Pairs:
- Volozoshar/ Trankov dominating pairs'
- Ksenia/Fedor working their way up, not being able to mess with V/T but gaining experience and such ( both still very young as for pair standarts)
- Germans out of the game since the male part is gone and Aliona needs time to adjust to new partner + he is french so there are issues as for which country they will compete, one needs to change

Dance:
- two top contenders (White/Davis + Scott/Moir) out of the game
- Ilinikh ad Katsalapov could have really been dominant this season BUT sadly they were idiots and split (or Nikita was an idiot), now both wild cards with their new partners
- Italians+ French strong as well

Ladies
- two top contenders ( Yuna+Mao ) out of the game here as well, so is Kostner
-Russians completely dominating
- Radionova being strong and consistent just as she was last season, making a real name for herself, but still lacking speed across the ice and such, still having problems with her component scores ( they stated that her programms this year are aiming at making her appear more mature..again. But I think the way of Lipnitskaya, stressing the fact that you're still more girl than women and using it as an advantage is waaaaay smarter)
- Sotnikova... I'm sorry but I and many people here can't see her delivering a 'Sochi' ever again as well, won't be able to live up to expectations, will have a rollerocoaster ride just as last season
- Lipnitskaya, showed that in her case missing jumps is an exeption(silver at world's, great team event in Sochi, Euro champion, GP was great..), the favourite this year, maybe not always Gold but always a medal, probably having the strong mind, calmness and consistency thtat others are lacking
- Pogorilaya like it has been said... the 3 tops are gonna be Adelina, Yulia and Elena for Russia and she would have to improve dramatically to medal at Nationals or Euros or go to World's
- Gold continuing her up and down and up and down but maybe getting ahead on components, cause she's mature ans expressive, if Caroll only let's her skate to a fitting piece
- young Koreans, Chinese and some great skaters from Canada wild cards