Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: The Casual Viewer

Hybrid View

Medalist

The Casual Viewer

I have the World Championships on the TV right now. This post I guess has good news/ bad news. The good news is that when Ashley Wagner got on the ice, my roommate recognized her from the Olympics "hey, didn't she skate at the Olympics?" Further good news- it means Ashley's program was memorable. Bad news: didn't she skate this program at the Olympics? Why is she skating the same program? When I explained that it takes months to prepare a program, her response was "so they just skate the same program over and over all year? Interesting." She would have turned the channel were it not me watching. I have a feeling this is a pretty average response from today's viewer. Somehow we need to freshen the sport to bring in new viewers, rather than turning them away. I'm not saying have skaters change their programs for every competition, obviously, but something needs to be done.

Custom Title
    You cannot win all. If someone is not prepared to see a program three times in a year, he is not prepared to be more than a casual viewer which looks a competition because has nothing better to do in the evening....

Banned
    Disapointed they completely cut out Anna Pogorilya of the show for an extended Gold love fest.

Custom Title
    Is there going to be replay of that nbc worlds ? I wanted to watch and again I forgot...

Banned
    I hope they show data on display for each element, for example jump max hight, width, rotation by digree at least and slomo replay later. A lot of numbers on display will look just cool and help understand the effort of skaters. The sport will become interesting then as much as or more than football, baseball, basketball for casual viewers and everyone will go home early to watch TV broadcasting figure skate competitions and grow population of skaters.

On the Ice
    Quote Originally Posted by YLFan View Post
    Disapointed they completely cut out Anna Pogorilya of the show for an extended Gold love fest.
    They showed Americans + the medalists for both the men and ladies. Since Pogo didn't make the podium, they didn't show her LP. NBC's coverage of figure skating tends to be very American-centric, but I was more annoyed by the incessant chattiness of Tara/Johnny than the Gold interview.

Size 7 Knife Boots Sam-Skwantch's Avatar
    NHL does a a show that leads up to the winter classic that shows two teams competing mid season with tons of behind the scenes footage. Not a drama based reality show but one that shows the lives of the players from within and beyond the game. I would love to see intense training, skaters in the warm-up area's, rink side footage, and some personal life segments from the skating world. I know a few former Olympians and they live interesting lives worthy of a TV show. If you could catch a few in their prime it would be great. They could do a lead up to the GPF then follow the top skaters to worlds. I'd watch it. No idea who would pay for it. That would be the biggest problem.

Custom Title
    Procrastinating by Watching my Fav. Skaters
    I feel like a reality show could be successful if they featured two pairs or teams (with at least one that regularly hangs out off ice) that share the same snarky coach or train in the same rink with snarky coaches.
    I just feel like for it to be successful with non-skating crowds, they'd have to have some competition and drama....and a witchy/snarky coach(es) would also help bring some entertainment...

Either that of an individual skater who is flamboyant and outspoken with a lot of interesting people that make up his/her team.

- But, idk if it would work just for the simple sake that when individuals/teams/pairs are training, having a distraction like camera crews and obligated outings off-ice might be a distraction...

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by YLFan View Post
    Sorry what? Pogorilaya was the only clean skater (other than Edmunds) and she certainly outskated Gold. To draw in casual viewers, they need to see skaters like Pogorilaya delivering clean programs and being rewarded for it. Not skaters like Kostner and Gold being good enough for bronze and 5th.

I think the OP makes a valid point, though. Casual viewers are used to formats like So You Think You Can Dance, where the whole point is to come up with a new routine every week. A sport like hockey, not so much, because there is no performance art aspect to hockey like there is to figure skating.

That is one of the things that killed interest in professional skating on TV. For a while there, almost every week you could see the same half-dozen skaters doing the same routines and finishing in the same order in one "competition" after another. I lost track of how many times I saw Yuka Sato's "Hatful of Stars" finishing second to whatever Kristi Yamaguchi had that year.

Maybe there is an opportunity for the ISU to use the Grand Prix in a more imaginative way. Require the skaters to display a variety of programs in different styles, rather than just use the series as an extended practice for worlds.

Love popcorn, hate horendous costumes Meoima's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Mathman View Post
    Maybe there is an opportunity for the ISU to use the Grand Prix in a more imaginative way. Require the skaters to display a variety of programs in different styles, rather than just use the series as an extended practice for worlds.
    The problem is, after months of training the same program, do you think the skaters have enough time for various program per season? Or we would rather kill the long program in Grand Prix, just save the short program so skaters have chances to display variety of short programs? And save the long program only for the final and worlds?

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Mathman View Post
    I think the OP makes a valid point, though. Casual viewers are used to formats like So You Think You Can Dance, where the whole point is to come up with a new routine every week. A sport like hockey, not so much, because there is no performance art aspect to hockey like there is to figure skating.

That is one of the things that killed interest in professional skating on TV. For a while there, almost every week you could see the same half-dozen skaters doing the same routines and finishing in the same order in one "competition" after another. I lost track of how many times I saw Yuka Sato's "Hatful of Stars" finishing second to whatever Kristi Yamaguchi had that year.

The words "hatful of stars" give me an immediate flashback to the late 1990s.

And this attitude was prevalent as well. My ex-partner would comment on it when we watched skating (ex for a reason! Not that reason. But maybe that contributed?).

Medalist
    It's not that she wasn't prepared to watch a program again, it is that she had no idea that is the way it works. Other than ardent fans, most people probably have no idea how much work it takes to put a program together, get it competition ready, and improve it/ grow with it throughout the year. I think something could be done to educate people about that process, so as to draw more people in, rather than just dismissing them as you seem to have done.

Custom Title
    I am not dismissing, but i am also not a preacher and a walking-teacher ready to spread my knowledge on anyone of they want or not.

tripping on the toe pick
    Quote Originally Posted by carriecmu0503 View Post
    Other than ardent fans, most people probably have no idea how much work it takes to put a program together, get it competition ready, and improve it/ grow with it throughout the year. I think something could be done to educate people about that process, so as to draw more people in, rather than just dismissing them as you seem to have done.
    A popular reality TV series could do the trick. No idea how to create one, though. Skaters don't show a lot of skin while practicing in frigid conditions, nor can they engage in binge drinking with the accompanying alcohol fueled arguments during competitive season. They already tried the DWTS route with Skating With The Stars, which wasn't a success. (Unlike in several non-US countries, where shows like Dancing On Ice have done well and probably made the audience a bit more aware of how challenging even simple footwork is.)

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast