Mao Asada exhibition in Tokyo draws thousands on opening day | Golden Skate

Mao Asada exhibition in Tokyo draws thousands on opening day

YesWay

四年もかけて&#
Record Breaker

lady_bee

Medalist
I went there, after I watched Stars On Ice in Tokyo yeasterday, 13 Apr.
I was able to see her medals and costumes up close, and lovely pictures & videos, sisce she was 5.
Even it was a Sunday evening, the place was so crowded with people from all ages,
and they were talking about her as she was their sister, daugter, or granddaugter.

Combined with great performances of Mao and other skaters I saw at SOI, it was one of the happiest day in my life:love:.

Last edited:

lbc2138

On the Ice
Ah Mao!

I showed her skating to some non-skating friends and they were entranced by not only her skating but her looks and figure (they were boys so of course haha....)

Any who, what I would do to watch Mao work her magic live *sigh*

anyanka

Record Breaker
I'm telling you, when she formally announces her retirement and performs a farewell show, the country will shut down for the day.

In all seriousness though, this sounds totally awesome. I would love to see this.

Rubirosa

Match Penalty
I'm telling you, when she formally announces her retirement and performs a farewell show, the country will shut down for the day.
Not sure about the whole country but ISU and JSF will have their tough days to begin.

How reliable this Chinese cource is? The numbers they bring are just awful. They say it's all based on Japanese media but they bring only one source that doesn't have any numbers http://www.sponichi.co.jp/sports/news/2014/04/10/kiji/K20140410007944310.html

The Chinese cource (google translator) says JSF takes 20% from her advertising awards and 95%" from her total annual salary. Is it a joke? http://sports.qq.com/a/20140410/019846.htm

They also say:

If Asada retired, it will slip joint and Japan as well as tricky ISU. Japan is the most popular national figure skating, Fuji TV's exclusive rights to broadcast the world championships, "need to pay an annual ISU 2 billion yen (about 12 million yuan) more than the cost." After retiring Miki Ando, ​​Asada became Japan skating only guarantee of box office, "If Asada retired then, ISU loses to further open Fuji expensive emboldened." Moreover, ISU's 13 official sponsors, there are 11 from Japan, "which includes Asada's sponsors - Sato Pharmaceutical and Sumitomo Life, the two companies are planning to retire, then Asada, also quit sponsorship."

Mao must be under serious pressure to continue, they need her money. I personally think she will be better off without them unless they change the system (if chinese source is correct).

Barb

Record Breaker
And now all the weight above the poor Yuzu :no: if Mao decide retire. but someway Mao doesnt look like a manipulable person, I mean, how many people said her put aside tatians's programs and the 3a but she did it that she wanted :biggrin:, I think if Mao continue it will be because she wants, not because JSF, ISU or money.

Meoima

Match Penalty
And now all the weight above the poor Yuzu :no: if Mao decide retire. but someway Mao doesnt look like a manipulable person, I mean, how many people said her put aside tatians's programs and the 3a but she did it that she wanted :biggrin:, I think if Mao continue it will be because she wants, not because JSF, ISU or money.
Mao is the most beloved skater in Japan, she has a career many want to die for, lots of things has happened in her life. She deserves whatever she wants to do, retire or continue. Forget ISU, JSF and the sponsors' money.

Dai and Mao haven't decided yet, I bet their fans would respect them no matter what.

But it's true that if they retire now, all the weight above will be placed on Yuzuru's shoulders. :unsure:

anyanka

Record Breaker
Not sure about the whole country but ISU and JSF will have their tough days to begin.
Mao must be under serious pressure to continue, they need her money. I personally think she will be better off without them unless they change the system (if chinese source is correct).

You've brought up a good point about whether or not they need Mao to continue. I personally would love to see her compete at a high level for the next quad, but if she retires tomorrow I'll always have great memories of her, she'll always be one of my absolute favorites.

The question then becomes: what will happen to ladies' skating in Japan once she does retire? The short-term fallout is that they may not have a leading lady to take her place yet. What's more intriguing is what will happen long-term. In the US, they had nearly half a century of popular ladies skating all the way from Peggy Fleming to Michelle Kwan, but once Kwan exited (along with Sasha Cohen) around 2006 they haven't had that major superstar to propel the sport there. I don't see that happening in Japan quite yet since Yuzu is the next big sensation, but I think we will be watching the ladies competition with great intrigue this next quarter. (And then again, Mao may take two years off then come back in the fall of 2016, who knows!)

Globetrotter

Medalist
Anyanka, you are right. Non of the current crop of Japanese lady skaters command the star quality of Asada. The US is in a major drought as there is no male and female skaters of star championship material yet. Personally, I am not impressed by Gracie Gold. Same for the Japanese, no real female stars besides Asada. Hanyu will be the only star left if Asada is gone. For the US, my bet is on Polina Edmunds, not Gold, Wagner or any of the rest.

nimi

Medalist
I just really, really hope she decides she's not done competing and after a well-deserved break - skipping the GP season or the whole season - she'll come back. I mean, after all the trouble she has had with her jumps, especially the axel, she FINALLY delivered 2 programs with 3A without a fall or downgrade -I'm greedy, I want to see more of that! I understand if she chooses to end her competitive career on that high note, but to think we might not see her programs and 3A and those wonderful step sequences again in competition... :cry:

Sure, I'm looking forward to seeing the new generation of Japanese girls enter the GP series and whether there's someone there who rises above the rest and can challenge the Russians, but Mao is simply a league of her own (especially after Akiko&co retiring)