Prediction for your favorite skaters next season | Page 14 | Golden Skate

Prediction for your favorite skaters next season

snowflake

I enjoy what I like
Record Breaker
Hmmm... Firstly I have to find out who they are. So many to enjoy :)

For now I predict all of them training hard for next season :thumbsup:

Meoima

Match Penalty
I think Yulia is a better performer than Adelina and Anna. Perhaps it's because she got better programs this year, but I connected with her a lot more than the other Russian girls (who I, generally, do like).

I don't think Yulia needs to "look mature" like Anna. Yulia's programs work because they are choreographed for a young girl, and they use her vulnerability to the program's advantage. For some reason, that seems to be labelled as manipulative, but imo it's just playing to your strengths. Just like Carolina uses her maturity to perform Bolero. Yulia's programs won't work for Carolina... and the reverse won't work either.

As I said in the "Women and girls" thread... there doesn't have to be just one kind of lady in the field. Yes, Yulia is a "girl," not a "woman." And there's nothing wrong with that. I don't think Anna looking more mature is--or should be--some innate advantage over Yulia.

And I think, in a sense, Yulia is more mature than Anna in the ways that matter--she's a fierce competitor, she seems to pour herself deeply into her music and programs, and she knows how to use her strengths to her advantage.
The thing I want to say is, Yulia will grow up, even if not in term of height. She can't not stay a little girl for 4 more years. So the choreography will have to adjust to her development. And I am very curious to see that adjustment.

About Anna Pogo, she will have to suffer the low PCS for a while. But I don't think her looks will not change that much in the next 4 years. So it's not wrong to say Anna Pogo has the advantage of looks.

Out of all these girls, Yulia and Radionova still look junior, despite how much skilled they are. But anyways, they both have "it factor" so I think their future will be bright. ;)

Sonitkova is a big mystery, still.

loiza

On the Ice
Yulia is still young and will likely improve in the category Art, she just needs time.

Sandpiper

Record Breaker
The thing I want to say is, Yulia will grow up, even if not in term of height. She can't not stay a little girl for 4 more years. So the choreography will have to adjust to her development. And I am very curious to see that adjustment.

About Anna Pogo, she will have to suffer the low PCS for a while. But I don't think her looks will not change that much in the next 4 years. So it's not wrong to say Anna Pogo has the advantage of looks.

Out of all these girls, Yulia and Radionova still look junior, despite how much skilled they are. But anyways, they both have "it factor" so I think their future will be bright. ;)

Sonitkova is a big mystery, still.
Oh, of course, she won't stay a little girl forever! I wouldn't wish such a hard fate on her! ;) It's true, her programs will change as she grows older. I look forward to it. If she can pull off a Bolero when she's older, I wouldn't argue against it.

I'm still confused about why Anna "has the advantage in looks" though. :scratch: Maybe in jumps, since she's likely past puberty and won't need to struggle (Yulia might). However, what's wrong with Yulia's looks changing in the future? In fact, I think that's to her advantage. I'd like to be able to look back on her career and see a huge variety of programs--both the girl and the woman. Yulia looking young right now isn't a problem, at least not for me.

Perhaps you're wondering if Yulia will adapt to more mature programs? That's certainly not a guarantee... but we also don't know if Anna will be able to get better programs, period, in the future. (I don't think her LP this year was as horrific as some were saying, but it probably wasn't the best vehicle. Hated the way the Canadian commentators trashed it, probably to justify Kostner's bronze).

Meoima

Match Penalty
Perhaps you're wondering if Yulia will adapt to more mature programs? That's certainly not a guarantee... but we also don't know if Anna will be able to get better programs, period, in the future. (I don't think her LP this year was as horrific as some were saying, but it probably wasn't the best vehicle. Hated the way the Canadian commentators trashed it, probably to justify Kostner's bronze).
Yup. It's very difficult to see what kind of programs they will use for Yulia once she gets the mature looks that will come with growing up. But just forget it now since we can't be so sure for her style to be changed to which direction.

Anna Pogo seems to pass her grow spurt so I think she can do more mature programs, and she is more elegant than Sonitkova. But the thing is will she receive enough funding and attention for better choreography and costumes? Anna herself also said that in Russia, she was just considered B level skater. Poor girl.

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
Predictions for my favourite skaters next season:

- I predict that I will love Tristan and Iseult and you'll all be begging me to shut up about it. (Go Jason!)

- I predict that I will be sitting in front of my computer at some point in floods of tears as the music of Schindler's List plays (Go Josh!)

- I predict that at least once this season I will shriek and cover my eyes as someone comes a little too close for comfort to the boards (Go Max!)

- I predict that I will wear my Sinatra hat during the Nationals SP (Go Lukas!)

- I predict that I will end up saving my sleep over Christmas so I can stream videos of Russian Nationals again (Go Artur! Go Kostya! Go...Plushy?)

snowflake

I enjoy what I like
Record Breaker
Predictions for my favourite skaters next season:

- I predict that I will love Tristan and Iseult and you'll all be begging me to shut up about it. (Go Jason!)

- I predict that I will be sitting in front of my computer at some point in floods of tears as the music of Schindler's List plays (Go Josh!)

- I predict that at least once this season I will shriek and cover my eyes as someone comes a little too close for comfort to the boards (Go Max!)

- I predict that I will wear my Sinatra hat during the Nationals SP (Go Lukas!)

- I predict that I will end up saving my sleep over Christmas so I can stream videos of Russian Nationals again (Go Artur! Go Kostya! Go...Plushy?)

I predict your predictions to come true. You will have a great next season :biggrin:

Sandpiper

Record Breaker
Yup. It's very difficult to see what kind of programs they will use for Yulia once she gets the mature looks that will come with growing up. But just forget it now since we can't be so sure for her style to be changed to which direction.m

Anna Pogo seems to pass her grow spurt so I think she can do more mature programs, and she is more elegant than Sonitkova. But the thing is will she receive enough funding and attention for better choreography and costumes? Anna herself also said that in Russia, she was just considered B level skater. Poor girl.
Hmm, it's possible Yulia could be like the child actor struggling to get roles once they grow up. I hope not. I think she's talented enough to overcome it. A lot will depend on how her team handles her programs + how they're received by the audience and judges.

Aww, sorry to hear that about Anna. I actually prefer Adelina so far because, while she isn't graceful, she does have a certain kind of grit that I like. But Anna definitely shouldn't be considered a B-level skater, and I think she has many good qualities that were unfortunately hidden by her programs.

I predict Max will choreograph a boards-crash to show off how awesome he is (and to stick it to the judges). :yes:

He's got the triple axel back already, so... :slink:

drivingmissdaisy

Record Breaker
Yulia is still young and will likely improve in the category Art, she just needs time.

I could see Julia turning into a Maria Butyrskaya-type skater in a few years, artistically speaking. I don't see Julia becoming a super engaging performer like Kaetlyn or Adelina but that reserved style worked very well for Maria.

Amei

Record Breaker

If you watch some of her summer performances that she did after the Olympics and Worlds, she was more 'artsy' - her movements had good flow, like her jumps she seemed to flow more out of them better.

Ophelia

Record Breaker
As much as I love Julia, I have to admit her jumps are pretty small. Her artistry has been covered a lot by the choreography and her flexibility. It's a good strategy. But still she has to develop and level-up herself at some point. So it's really interesting to see her next season. Since she will be the no 1 GP seed. I hope she will improve her jumps.

Frankly, I think Anna Pogo looks more mature than Julia, and more elegant than Sonitkova. Let's not forget Anna Pogo beat Sonitkova outside of Russian before. I hope good things will happen to this girl next season.

Sonitkova is still a mystery to me, though. Can she repeat what she did at Sochi?

Out of all these girls, I think Julia has the best momentum, nevertheless.

I agree that Anna P. has a more elegant skating style than Sotnikova (I won't call her skating elegant yet, bc its still quite unrefined), BUT HOLY HECK her spins are SO BAD!! Why hasn't anyone else commented on this? She has the worst spins, extensions and spirals of any senior lady I've seen. Heck, I think junior girls spin better than she does. I'm taken aback by their shoddy quality, and even more so given she's Russian. She's needs to work on fixing up her spins and extensions ASAP if she wants to be a serious threat for the top of the podium moving forwards.

Amei

Record Breaker
I agree that Anna P. has a more elegant skating style than Sotnikova (I won't call her skating elegant yet, bc its still quite unrefined), BUT HOLY HECK her spins are SO BAD!! Why hasn't anyone else commented on this? She has the worst spins, extensions and spirals of any senior lady I've seen. Heck, I think junior girls spin better than she does. I'm taken aback by their shoddy quality, and even more so given she's Russian. She's needs to work on fixing up her spins and extensions ASAP if she wants to be a serious threat for the top of the podium moving forwards.

Granted I've not seen her perform much (thank you, awful U.S. coverage) but her World's performance did have bad spins, and I think that's highlighted because most of the young Russian skaters have good flexibility/spins.

Meoima

Match Penalty
Granted I've not seen her perform much (thank you, awful U.S. coverage) but her World's performance did have bad spins, and I think that's highlighted because most of the young Russian skaters have good flexibility/spins.
But spins have less points if you compare it to the jumps, don't they? Some skaters have better jumps than spins. I think spins can be improve better than jumps in shorter time.

Sam-Skwantch

“I solemnly swear I’m up to no good”
Record Breaker
Country
United-States

Her Worlds :love:

GPF and Russian Nationals :slink: Left an awful taste in my mouth. Sorry. :confused2:

Ophelia

Record Breaker
But spins have less points if you compare it to the jumps, don't they? Some skaters have better jumps than spins. I think spins can be improve better than jumps in shorter time.

Yes, but if she's trying to make it out of the deep Russian field (much less contend for the podium), she needs to fight for all the points she can. Anna's Russian peers have equally good, if not better, jumps than she does, and all of them have better spins and extensions. She's already at a disadvantage.

I'm perplexed at how she's skated for so many years and managed to get to the senior level without anyone correcting her spins beforehand. Her spins aren't average, they're really sub-par for a senior-level skater.

Meoima

Match Penalty
Yes, but if she's trying to make it out of the deep Russian field (much less contend for the podium), she needs to fight for all the points she can. Anna's Russian peers have equally good, if not better, jumps than she does, and all of them have better spins and extensions. She's already working to overcome a disadvantage.
Aside from Sonitkova and Liza, I don't see any Russian girls with better jumps than Anna. Liza is still recovering and who knows if she can make a strong come back. Liza's spins are not impressive either.
Sonitkova is not yet consistent, and who knows if she can perform better than she did at Sochi again?
Radioniva is in fact, still juniorish, and she hasn't developed fuller yet. And I am not sure if Yulia's jumps can get much bigger.

Amei

Record Breaker
I'm perplexed at how she's skated for so many years and managed to get to the senior level without anyone correcting her spins beforehand.

Her spins aren't totally awful, I mean if we weren't in the era we are right now, where skaters (Yulia/Elena) are coming to seniors with amazing spins and extension, it wouldn't be as bad, but considering she is supposed to be included in that group, Anna needs to do some work on that to compete once some of the current Russian Juniors are age eligible for senior international competitions.

Amei

Record Breaker
Aside from Sonitkova and Liza, I don't see any Russian girls with better jumps than Anna. Liza is still recovering and who knows if she can make a strong come back. Liza's spins are not impressive either.
Sonitkova is not yet consistent, and who knows if she can perform better than she did at Sochi again?
Radioniva is in fact, still juniorish, and she hasn't developed fuller yet. And I am not sure if Yulia's jumps can get much bigger.

1 thing that Yulia has over Anna is transitions, she may not get the best height on her jumps, but she is good at transitioning out of her jumps.

Meoima

Match Penalty
1 thing that Yulia has over Anna is transitions, she may not get the best height on her jumps, but she is good at transitioning out of her jumps.
Julia has the best momentum out of all Russian girls at the moment. I expect her to keep up with it. Very bright season awaiting for her, I am sure. :yay:

I hope Anna and Liza will have stronger programs this seasons. Not so optimistic about Anna and Liza, though, since Anna might not be paid enough attention from the Fed and Liza is still recovering. :slink:

As for Sonitkova, I hope Tarasova will not give her any thing like Christina program ever again. And her costumes except for the Olympics! Oh my god! almost killed me.

I like Radionova very much, but she is still junior-ish. Maybe next season for her?