Page 10 of 20 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 ... LastLast

Thread: Prediction for your favorite skaters next season

Banned
    someone is developing a fandom crush for Kovtun
    and is now devoid of logic

Kovtun will not win the GPF for sure, Javier will have a huge boost in Barcelona
    and Kovtun chokes in big events, Euros and Worlds alike

Banned
    Kovtun is light years behind the current top 3 in ability and Dennis Ten and Kozuka when they are "on" will easily beat him too (although who knows if Kozuka will ever be on again). Chan if he returns will be easily beating Kovtun for atleast another year or two. I definitely dont see Kovtun on the world podium barring some massive improvements over the summer, or a very messy event at worlds. He was 4th at worlds, but the top 3 were in their own event, another league from everyone else.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by pangtongfan View Post
    Kovtun is light years behind the current top 3 in ability and Dennis Ten and Kozuka when they are "on" will easily beat him too (although who knows if Kozuka will ever be on again). Chan if he returns will be easily beating Kovtun for atleast another year or two. I definitely dont see Kovtun on the world podium barring some massive improvements over the summer, or a very messy event at worlds. He was 4th at worlds, but the top 3 were in their own event, another league from everyone else.
    exactly, the only way Kovtun medals if other top skaters implode

Quote Originally Posted by sky_fly20 View Post
    Oooh... and what do we call someone who develop an obsession negatively or positively for a skater? Sky fly?!

Custom Title
    should I let the massive love threads for Gold speak for themselves?

Would devoid of logic be saying Gold will vie for the Olympic gold and get PCS like Kim? Or saying she will still win Worlds, even after Mao posts a score so high that Gold need 146 to beat it? Or saying she will even medal a Worlds and then failing to so do after Kostner implodes and Lipnitskaia has errors. Would defying logic be saying a skater is beyond grand when they don't even have an international win or qualified for the GPF.

You of all people shouldn't be calling me out for suggesting Kovtun will exceed expectations next season, given how much of an epic failure your grandiose Gracie Gold predictions were. I said Kovtun can win a GP or even medal at Worlds or the GPF, and I said he will still be the top ranked Russian. Those are realistic.

It's not like he's the 5th place finisher at Worlds and then I suggested Kovtun would win all his GP events and the GPF and then silver/gold at Worlds. Because that would actually be crazy and illogical.

As for Kovtun requiring Hanyu and Fernandez and Machida to bomb, that's true... But it has happened. Kovtun has beat Fernandez last season when the latter bombed at CoR and was lucky to even medal. If Fernandez has a bad Worlds or GPF, Kovtun could get a medal. But I never said he would win Worlds or the GPF.

tripping on the toe pick
    Kovtun will not win the GPF for sure, Javier will have a huge boost in Barcelona
    Agree about Kovtun and GPF. Would like to see Javi winning on home ice, but he'd better outjump Yuzuru &co.
    I just can't see the SPANISH federation being a big player with a lot of influence over the scoring, if that is what "huge boost" implies.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by nimi View Post
    Agree about Kovtun and GPF. Would like to see Javi winning on home ice, but he'd better outjump Yuzuru &co.
    I just can't see the SPANISH federation being a big player with a lot of influence over the scoring, if that is what "huge boost" implies.
    Love to see Javier finally make the name for himself in front of home crowd too. Every time I mention Javier to Spanish, they though I referring to Javier Hernandez (Mexican Man. United striker). That was sad and very annoying.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by pangtongfan View Post
    I wonder what you would have said about Denis Ten before he won silver at Worlds and bronze in Sochi. Sometimes a skater gets it together at the right time. And as I said, Kovtun could clear 95 points with two quads (one a quad-triple), and he could also clear 170 in his FS (which he would have done at Worlds had he executed the 4S). That is a score of about 265 points if he skates as well as he can. Which at this particular Worlds wasn't enough for a medal (nor does ot guarantee a World/GPF medal) but it's still a very competitive score that would arguably be a medal threat (which is what I said he could be, and never said that would without a doubt be the case).

Banned
    Regarding Kovtun and next season, there are more to consider than the top 3 from worlds as well. Ten from the 2013 worlds or even 2014 Olympics LP is a much higher level than I have ever seen Kovtun skate at, and if he skates like that Kovtun wont be close to beating him. Ten is extremely inconsistent, but Kovtun is very inconsistent as well. Worlds was a fairly rare good competition in a depleted post Olympics field. While I dont think Chan will be back next season anyway, there are some who think otherwise, and he would be easily beating Kovtun at this point in time. Kozuka did still a comeback into top form, and if Reynolds can get over his skate problems he could make a come back too. Both of those at their best are also better than Kovtun, some would question Reynolds but his TES would be too much for Kovtun probably if in top form.

Fernandez and Machida are both pretty consistent skaters and not prone to bombing often. Making mistakes yes, blowing up, no. Fernandez had a very poor season for his standards this year due to injury, and was clearly not himself at all until Europeans.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by CanadianSkaterGuy View Post
    I wonder what you would have said about Denis Ten before he won silver at Worlds and bronze in Sochi. Sometimes a skater gets it together at the right time.
    Well nobody should hope for competitions of the quality of the 2013 worlds and 2014 Olympics to happen again. Like I said more than once I am hopeful the all time dark age (2009-2014 Olympics) of mens skating is now officialy over with the fairly good competition at the 2014 worlds, and am excited to see the men hopefully produce like that again in a more full rather than partial field.

Nobody was predicting Ten's results at those events, although I am sure you will try and claim you called them all along, lol! IMO Ten at his best is a far better skater than Kovtun though. If they both skated well, pretty much at the same level in jumps, but Ten has much better basics, better line, nicer posture and carriage, better spins and footwork, better choreography. It is just a shame he doesnt skate at that level more often, but if he does and the scoring is far (given that Ten is the one royally screwed out of the 2013 world title no sure thing with him) Ten should easily place better than even a good Kovtun. Until he improves more, which given his youth, could always happen of course.

On the Ice
    I hope that both Voronov and Menshov will have a good next season.

I guess that both of them will get medals at European Championship again (at least I hope so).

My dream is to see them both at Worlds.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by CanadianSkaterGuy View Post
    I wonder what you would have said about Denis Ten before he won silver at Worlds and bronze in Sochi. Sometimes a skater gets it together at the right time. And as I said, Kovtun could clear 95 points with two quads (one a quad-triple), and he could also clear 170 in his FS (which he would have done at Worlds had he executed the 4S). That is a score of about 265 points if he skates as well as he can. Which at this particular Worlds wasn't enough for a medal (nor does ot guarantee a World/GPF medal) but it's still a very competitive score that would arguably be a medal threat (which is what I said he could be, and never said that would without a doubt be the case).
    Also it seems you are insistent that Chan is coming back next season, given that you accused all of those who believe he wont as automatically being a blind and bitter hater in the Chan thread. So with that in mind from your perspective (even though I dont think Chan will be back next year, and contrary to your claim it has nothing to do with my personal like/dislike of Chan) we now have Kovtun needing to beat atleast 2 out of Hanyu, Chan, Fernandez, and Machida to medal at worlds next year, a monumental task to put it mildly. It is also silly to think only those are threats to him or possible barriers to him winning a world or even grand prix final medal. Coming 4th at a worlds missing the Olympic bronze medalist (the one who we know is for sure returning), and 3 of the top 6 finishers from the Games does not automatically make him part of the big 4 of mens skating or something. Those are just the only 4 skaters he has a very tiny chance at most of beating right now. This is a very inconsistent skater who finished only 5th at Europeans this year, and no that was not his only bad event recently as well. All of Han, Kozuka, Reynolds, Ten, Brezina, Aaron, Abbott, Amodio, Brown, and yes even Voronov and Menshov who both beat him at Europeans this past year and Russian Nationals the year before that have to be counted as threats to him as well.

Which also brings to the problem with your other suggestion. Why assume a very inconsistent skater would do absolutely everything he could in his current program/within his current ability, something he has never done in fact even in his better competitions, and assume everyone else will do as badly as the 2013 worlds and 2014 Olympics when Kovtun is more inconsistent than the majority of those others.

Custom Title
    Kovtun is still at the age when big improvements can be done from a year to the other, so, if he stays injury free, he might close the gap to the top.

Custom Title
    I don't accuse anyone who says Chan isn't coming back next year as being a hater. I think those who undermine him if he comes back by continually parroting how his skating sucks to be a hater. Personally, I think there's a considerable likelihood that he won't be coming back next year, so I have no idea where you're getting that spiel from. Although I suppose it's from the same place where you pull all your thoughts.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by aschiutza View Post
    Kovtun is still at the age when big improvements can be done from a year to the other, so, if he stays injury free, he might close the gap to the top.
    I agree. By no means am I saying he's at the level of Fernandez and Hanyu, but with his ambitious technical content in just his second season, and presumable improvement over the summer, I think he will be more of a spoiler than people are anticipating.

Obviously if Chan comes back, Kovtun is bumped down a spot, and the top 2 spots will be monopolized by Chanyu, but I think with 3 quads, he can make Machida and Fernandez sweat a little bit.

Page 10 of 20 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 ... LastLast