Prediction for your favorite skaters next season | Page 10 | Golden Skate

Prediction for your favorite skaters next season

Sam-Skwantch

“I solemnly swear I’m up to no good”
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I'd like to see what Asada will do in the coming months. It'd be nice for her to skate another season!

If I were able to choose one skater between Caro and Mao to return it would be Mao. She seems to be still nearly unbeatable and won't likely suffer the drop in scores I would fear for Caro. Mao just had highest scoring SP ever. Game on?

Definetely not opposed to Caro's return but I'd think the likes of Gracie,Ashley,(insert Russian here) can beat her going forward.

rolandgarros

Match Penalty
Fernandez- dominate the 2014-2015 season, winning every event. Leaving Hanyu with no victories in events Fernandez is in and needing to regroup for next year.
Firus- sadly to be bumped off Canada's world team by Nguyen.
Weaver & Poje- to dominate and easily win each competition. The Italian world champions are probably retired now that their top pair is splitting with the impending marriage of the male pair partner and the lovely lady dance partner.
Bobrova & Soloviev- sadly to drop to Russian #3 behind the two new pairs, and possibly retire due to his ongoing back problems. I hope I am wrong.
Sotnikova- to dominate and win every competition and continue to prove to everyone she is by far the best skater in history.

CarneAsada

Medalist
Definitely not opposed to Caro's return but I'd think the likes of Gracie,Ashley,(insert Russian here) can beat her going forward.
Hahaha. Maybe if she gets Russian citizenship and they compete at Cup of Russia. Otherwise a Caro in even mediocre condition will beat Ashley.

FSGMT

Record Breaker
Weaver & Poje- to dominate and easily win each competition. The Italian world champions are probably retired now that their top pair is splitting with the impending marriage of the male pair partner and the lovely lady dance partner.
Sorry to disappoint you, but no-one actually ever said that :rolleye: B/H will probably not compete anymore, but C/L should continue together as far as I know...

Sam-Skwantch

“I solemnly swear I’m up to no good”
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Hahaha. Maybe if she gets Russian citizenship and they compete at Cup of Russia. Otherwise a Caro in even mediocre condition will beat Ashley.

Ah..poor Ashley. Even after Caro's single jump showcase at Worlds she still has more clout. The question for me is why was I choosing between Mao and Caro? That isn't the topic or relevant to anything. :slink:

anyanka

Record Breaker
Predictions?

Yulia wins everything, period: a B-level event, the GP series, nationals, Euros, and then cream everybody at worlds by 15-20 points.

I expect Yuzu to dominate but Yan Han to nip at his heels, and Yan may overcome Yuzu at 2015 worlds in Shanghai, leading to resounding hometown victory.

V/T to continue and take it all, although they will seriously question motivation as they've already got the ultimate high of gold on home soil in 2014, and then make an announcement on continuing. I know they said they would go to 2018, but I doubt winning gold again in 2018 would beat winning at Sochi, unless their goal is to enter the record books by winning pairs and team again and become the all-time most-crowned Olympics pairs skaters.

W/P to battle C/L all season. They face off only at GPF and then worlds. It will be another nail-biter.

Ophelia

Record Breaker
I'm not understanding why so many people think Yulia will dominate. She's a good skater, but her abilities aren't that much superior to the rest of the field. Her spins are fantastic due to her flexibility, but her jumps are nothing to write home about about.

Amei

Record Breaker
I'm not understanding why so many people think Yulia will dominate. She's a good skater, but her abilities aren't that much superior to the rest of the field. Her spins are fantastic due to her flexibility, but her jumps are nothing to write home about about.

Because she was 1 of most consistent skaters for the ladies, and with the exception of the individual event at the Olympics placed in the top 2 of every competition she skated in last year. And the events where she placed second: GPF & Worlds - to Mao and a close second to Adelina at Russian Nationals.

skatedreamer

Medalist
Country
United-States
Because she was 1 of most consistent skaters for the ladies, and with the exception of the individual event at the Olympics placed in the top 2 of every competition she skated in last year. And the events where she placed second: GPF & Worlds - to Mao and a close second to Adelina at Russian Nationals.

I tend to agree with you. OTOH, it's been suggested that Yulia may have to deal with body changes that will force her to re-learn her jump technique. That could undermine her consistency. Only time will tell so we'll just have to wait and see.

pangtongfan

Match Penalty
I see Bobrova & Soloviev probably being a bigger threat to Weaver & Poje next season than the Italians. I have a feeling the Italians will be fighting just to keep a bronze medal at worlds, maybe win silver if one of B&S or W&P had some minor but fairly obvious stumbles. I cant stand B&S and found them incredibly overrated, but the fact is the judges love them, and with I&K sadly split they got the biggest gift yet in their careers (and in a career full of them that is saying something) as they will return to Russian #1 status by default which will make them very formidable again, especialy in a field missing all of D&W, V&M, I&K, and P&B now. At worlds I still think they would have found themselves down in about 5th place as the then firm Russian #2 (and the Russian fed would have been holding out hope to keep I&K together somehow then despite the split already occuring) but next year back to Russian #1 it will be back to crazy inflated scores for them, especialy with the great fortune of his back injury preventing their low finish at worlds and the further lost status from that. With the stroke of luck of his back injury forcing them to miss worlds they avoid that too, and now return having beaten all of these remaining teams in their last major outing (the Olympics) rather than having lost to several of them at worlds.

I still think W&P have a good shot at winning worlds, and I wouldnt discount C&L as a possible winner of worlds next year 100%, but I think B&S are a bigger threat to W&P and for the world gold next year than C&L right now. I also wouldnt be that surprised if C&L get pushed off altogether in favor of a team like Chock & Bates. I cant see W&P or B&S not medalling at worlds barring a disaester, or if the Russian fed pleasantly surprises by supporting one of the 2 new I&K breakoff teams as their new #1 immediately.

anyanka

Record Breaker
I see Bobrova & Soloviev probably being a bigger threat to Weaver & Poje next season than the Italians. I have a feeling the Italians will be fighting just to keep a bronze medal at worlds, maybe win silver if one of B&S or W&P had some minor but fairly obvious stumbles. I cant stand B&S and found them incredibly overrated, but the fact is the judges love them, and with I&K sadly split they got the biggest gift yet in their careers (and in a career full of them that is saying something) as they will return to Russian #1 status by default which will make them very formidable again, especialy in a field missing all of D&W, V&M, I&K, and P&B now. At worlds I still think they would have found themselves down in about 5th place as the then firm Russian #2 (and the Russian fed would have been holding out hope to keep I&K together somehow then despite the split already occuring) but next year back to Russian #1 it will be back to crazy inflated scores for them, especialy with the great fortune of his back injury preventing their low finish at worlds and the further lost status from that. With the stroke of luck of his back injury forcing them to miss worlds they avoid that too, and now return having beaten all of these remaining teams in their last major outing (the Olympics) rather than having lost to several of them at worlds.

I still think W&P have a good shot at winning worlds, and I wouldnt discount C&L as a possible winner of worlds next year 100%, but I think B&S are a bigger threat to W&P and for the world gold next year than C&L right now. I also wouldnt be that surprised if C&L get pushed off altogether in favor of a team like Chock & Bates. I cant see W&P or B&S not medalling at worlds barring a disaester, or if the Russian fed pleasantly surprises by supporting one of the 2 new I&K breakoff teams as their new #1 immediately.

Good points about B/S returning to Russian #1, at least for the coming year. However, the parallel situation if S/K and/or I/Z to rise would be the 2010-11 year in pairs, when V/T appeared on the scene and took the national crown from K/S. I remember watching CBC and they said that the audiences were actually packed for pairs practice due to V/T making their major international debut. If either of the new dance teams rise up and create that much buzz, then B/S would drop off in the rankings. And you're right, I can absolutely see them on the podium, but I hope they come up with some more difficult moves and drama. Both are great athletes, but together they're sort of like oatmeal - very bland. They need something like their 12/13 FD to distinguish themselves. It was high-concept and great in theory, but in execution was less than what it could have been. Otherwise, they're finished.

jcmerman

Rinkside
I totally agree with you!!! her flexibility on spins is great, but she also travels all over the place hitting those difficult positions. Her jumps are really nothing to write home about. She was just the right girl for Russia at the right time last season, but then couldn't deliver at the Olympics.

YLFan

Match Penalty
lol. I'm starting to wonder if these are parody accounts.

Why is she a favorite? Gee maybe because she dominated last season. Her only real times not winning gold were twice to Mao in Japan where she basically has a rubber stamped win. And in the Olympic individual where she was put in a bad position of having to have 4 great programs in one Olympic games.

She was the clear star of the team event and was first in both her programs in that.

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia

Just because we don't believe Yulia is all that, doesn't make us "parody" accounts.

She had one good season. She is yet to grow. Her "artistry" basically consists of her hauling her foot up above her head whether it goes with the music or not. Her jumps are tiny and the technique is flawed. People squeal over her because of her flexibility and the fact she's so young.

pangtongfan

Match Penalty
Good points about B/S returning to Russian #1, at least for the coming year. However, the parallel situation if S/K and/or I/Z to rise would be the 2010-11 year in pairs, when V/T appeared on the scene and took the national crown from K/S. I remember watching CBC and they said that the audiences were actually packed for pairs practice due to V/T making their major international debut. If either of the new dance teams rise up and create that much buzz, then B/S would drop off in the rankings. And you're right, I can absolutely see them on the podium, but I hope they come up with some more difficult moves and drama. Both are great athletes, but together they're sort of like oatmeal - very bland. They need something like their 12/13 FD to distinguish themselves. It was high-concept and great in theory, but in execution was less than what it could have been. Otherwise, they're finished.

I guess we will have to see if a V/T parallel with one of those two teams happens. However I (and most others or so it seemed) were fully expecting V/T to star right away. It didnt even seem to come as a surprise, at most a relief that what people were expecting/hoping indeed came to pass. I dont sense that is being anticipated for either S/K or I/Z, atleast not right away.

FSGMT

Record Breaker
I guess we will have to see if a V/T parallel with one of those two teams happens. However I (and most others or so it seemed) were fully expecting V/T to star right away. It didnt even seem to come as a surprise, at most a relief that what people were expecting/hoping indeed came to pass. I dont sense that is being anticipated for either S/K or I/Z, atleast not right away.
Agree, especially because in Pairs it is easier to "star right away" because there are the elements: if you land the jumps, your score goes up. V/T arrived with a perfect triple twist, two different sbs triples and enormous height in their throws so no-one could deny them big scores; in Ice Dance, you have to build your reputation step by step even to obtain the levels (we never see a low/middle-level couple receiving level 4 for a step sequence or +3 GOEs even for very well-executed elements), so it is almost impossible to "star right away". Anyway, since we're talking about skaters with a great reputation, we'll see :popcorn:

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker

Why is she a favorite? Gee maybe because she dominated last season. Her only real times not winning gold were twice to Mao in Japan where she basically has a rubber stamped win. And in the Olympic individual where she was put in a bad position of having to have 4 great programs in one Olympic games.

She was the clear star of the team event and was first in both her programs in that.

Yeah, about that.... she delivered excellent team skates, but every knows that she flutzed in the SP (4:28 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8KUa4bjtmhY) and it wasn't called -- so, really, Kostner should have been placed ahead of her (not that it mattered in the final standings), but being in Russia she basically has a "rubber-stamped win",right?

Speaking of rubber-stamped wins, how about Julia winning Cup of Russia with just 3 triples in her FS (with personal best PCS)? :rolleye:

Also, don't forget the "real time" she didn't win gold at Russian Nationals to Sotnikova... oh, and the individual event at the Olympics. :p