Prediction for your favorite skaters next season | Page 11 | Golden Skate

Prediction for your favorite skaters next season

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
I think Jason Brown will win Nationals by a wide margin.

I love Jason but I disagree. Joshua's never been far off his tail and if he can start skating well and stay injury-free this season he'll be back up there, espcially with his big beautiful jumps. Max will be burning to get back on that top step and prove to everyone that he is a good skater and his National title wasn't a fluke. And then there's Rippon and Dornbush and Abbott and a bunch of other question marks who could also spoil the party.

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
I love Jason but I disagree. Joshua's never been far off his tail and if he can start skating well and stay injury-free this season he'll be back up there, espcially with his big beautiful jumps. Max will be burning to get back on that top step and prove to everyone that he is a good skater and his National title wasn't a fluke. And then there's Rippon and Dornbush and Abbott and a bunch of other question marks who could also spoil the party.

Uh, Farris lost to Brown by 13 points. His personal best is 15 points shy of Brown's. I think he can catch up, but let's not pretend that Farris has shown the mettle to compete with Brown at this point. Certainly not if Brown gets a quad.

I think Max will step it up next year too. Brown winning Nationals isn't a certainty but one thing's for sure, he'll be the one everyone will be most itching to see.

pangtongfan

Match Penalty
If Brown gets a quad none of the current U.S men can even dream of challenging him, probably not ever again. Without a quad he isnt totally unbeatable, but he is still the clear favorite right now, and if he skates clean would almost shut the door on the others. Even without the quad the only one I could see maybe beating him is Farris if he skates perfectly, but Farris is well known for his inconsistency. Aaron even landing a bunch of quads would probably lose to quadless Brown on GOE and PCS, as this years Nationals proved.

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
Uh, Farris lost to Brown by 13 points. His personal best is 15 points shy of Brown's. I think he can catch up, but let's not pretend that Farris has shown the mettle to compete with Brown at this point. Certainly not if Brown gets a quad.

Um, take a look over their entire career against each other. Farris has come out on top more often than Brown. At JWC LAST YEAR - as in, March last year, their last competitive head-to-head prior to this year's Nationals - Farris won by a margin of four points - with a fall. By international judges. They go back and forward. At Nationals last year where were they? Farris was 4th and Brown 9th. You also say: "If Brown gets a quad" - well, if Farris starts landing his...

I love them both, but let's not pretend one is vastly superior to the other. They've always been more or less on the same wavelength.

Jammers

Record Breaker
Country
United-States

I think Max will step it up next year too. Brown winning Nationals isn't a certainty but one thing's for sure, he'll be the one everyone will be most itching to see.
Until last season Joshua was ahead of Jason as a Junior so if Farris is consistent next season he becomes a real threat. He is also artistic in a more classical way but has more impressive jumps. He just needs to go for it and be more aggressive.

centerpt1

On the Ice
US Nats -Men: Farris, Rippon, Aaron (Abbott -retired, Brown-skates but off podium)
Ladies: Polina, Mirai, Ashley
Dance: C/B, S/S, H/B

makaihime

Final Flight
Jason might be consistent now, but who know's what'll happen once he puts in a quad. Adding a quad into your program changes everything since its so physically draining. IMO its too soon to tell how Jason will do next season.

flutzy13

On the Ice
US Nats -Men: Farris, Rippon, Aaron (Abbott -retired, Brown-skates but off podium)
I see no scenario in which USFS allows Gracie or Jason to fall outside the top 3 or Mirai to fall into the top 3 unless Ashley is a total wreck again which I actually don't see happening now that Sochi is behind her and she's not defending.

I see it more like:

Ladies- Polina, Ashley, Gracie (bad skate under pressure of defending her title, rebounds at Worlds), Cesario/Hicks
Men- Jason, Max, Joshua, Adam
Dance- C/B by a ton, Shibs over H/B by a tiny margin, H/D
Pairs- Hardest to call right now. I'd say Z/B win and Kayne/O'Shea are somewhere on the podium. Need to see if S/K look to have rebounded from their sophomore slump this fall, how Leng/Shnapir look when they debut and whether D/C retire.

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia

I rather think you've forgotten that there are four podium places at US Nats...

pangtongfan

Match Penalty
I see no scenario in which USFS allows Gracie or Jason to fall outside the top 3 or Mirai to fall into the top 3 unless Ashley is a total wreck again which I actually don't see happening now that Sochi is behind her and she's not defending.

I see it more like:

Ladies- Polina, Ashley, Gracie (bad skate under pressure of defending her title, rebounds at Worlds), Cesario/Hicks
Men- Jason, Max, Joshua, Adam
Dance- C/B by a ton, Shibs over H/B by a tiny margin, H/D
Pairs- Hardest to call right now. I'd say Z/B win and Kayne/O'Shea are somewhere on the podium. Need to see if S/K look to have rebounded from their sophomore slump this fall, how Leng/Shnapir look when they debut and whether D/C retire.

If Hubbel & Donohue fall back to 4th or 5th even with Davis & White now gone, I wonder if that will be it for them. I hope not as I love them. I hope they can somehow pass the Shibutanis next year and stay ahead of the up and comers.

gotoschool

Medalist
lol. I'm starting to wonder if these are parody accounts.

Why is she a favorite? Gee maybe because she dominated last season. Her only real times not winning gold were twice to Mao in Japan where she basically has a rubber stamped win. And in the Olympic individual where she was put in a bad position of having to have 4 great programs in one Olympic games.

She was the clear star of the team event and was first in both her programs in that.

If you read posts on this forum from Ziggy, who is known to be highly critical of Mao's urs, you would note that even he said that he would not have downgraded Mao's triple axel and triple flip / triple loop combo in the World's LP. Blades of Passion likewise said that her triple axel should not have been downgraded.

Many also criticized the downgrade on Mao's triple axel in her Grand Prix SP including the Eurosport commentators who were perplexed by her low score. You can also refer to the women's long programs thread for SOchi on this website, youtube and on numerous tweets to see the numerous posts that have criticized what is widely perceived to be Mao's deflated score in the Sochi LP and Lipnitskaya's inflated scores.

The only thing "rubber stamped" were lower scores for Mao.

slider11

Medalist
Rather than placement, here is my choice for "really hoping to have a break out year"

Women Mirai (You're a big girl now. Put in the time and effort, you have the goods)
Ice Dance Shibs (It's tough as siblings but they have the D/W smarts and dedication. Whatever it takes. Let's see if Marina can give them the right vehicle)
Pairs Zhang and Bartholemey (I know they had a fantastic Nationals. But that was staying on their feel and landing elements. Now let's see them shine!)
Men Adam Rippon (last year so disappointing for him. Not sure Arturian is the right coach for him. )

Barb

Record Breaker
Mao will get a boyfriend :biggrin:
Elena will be second to Julia :popcorn:
Ashley will be third, after Gracie and Polina :cry:
Shibs will have terrible programs :bang:

minze

Medalist
Yes for Mao and a boyfriend, but knowing Mao I think if she had one we will never know. She is so private

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker

I think everyone will be second to Julia. :popcorn: She will probably lose only once next season.. although I could picture another Russian like Radionova being the one to do it given Radionova is probably the only senior skater who can match Julia's consistency at this point (I'm not gonna say Pogo or Edmunds based off just Worlds).

I also predict that with the PCS gap betwen them tightened up, Edmunds will defeat Gold at some point.

Barb

Record Breaker
Minze2001 Yes, probable we will found one day after her wedding, like Midori :scowl:

Jammers

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
If Radionova actually starts developing and not having the body of a 10 year old her jumps may disappear. Things can change in just a few months for a girl her age.

Isabel_O'Reilly

Final Flight
Just because we don't believe Yulia is all that, doesn't make us "parody" accounts.

She had one good season. She is yet to grow. Her "artistry" basically consists of her hauling her foot up above her head whether it goes with the music or not. Her jumps are tiny and the technique is flawed. People squeal over her because of her flexibility and the fact she's so young.

Actually she's had three great seasons. She struggled a little bit at times, if you count trouble on a couple jumps while maintaining a fabulous program, struggling, considering how rarely the medallists go completely clean. You may think her jumps are tiny which I really don't get. I always just went with pointing out how good they are otherwise because everyone seems to agree. However, when I've looked at videos and very carefully compared the distance between the ice and the blade on some jumps, yes, they're clearly smaller, but on others there's not that much of a difference. I've always thought her skating goes well with the music you may not respond to it, and granted there were too many flexibility moves (which she did not choose)last year, but this year the choreography was better. Spins, spirals, those are supposed to show flexibility. The grand total of other moves showing flexibility in both programs: 1 Three seconds in her footwork sequence which matches perfectly with the music. No, we do not squeal over her flexibility. It adds to her skating because we know she doesn't come by it naturally, she works for at least forty-five minutes a day since at least the jr worlds in 2012 (where I first saw her skate and the commentator mentioned that). I like watching her because of how hard she works and how determined she is. And no, it's not because she's young (what does this even mean when all skaters are young?), her accomplishments on paper might sound better because she's young, but the reason so many people like her is because her skating is just that good. Every skater has a way of skating that draws people in or that they respond to. For me the only ladies skater's I've ever actually liked watching are Sasha Cohen and Yulia Lipnitskaia.

Everyone else has other skaters they like. For me I can objectively say Yuna's skating, or Mao's skating, or Radionova's skating is fantastic and when they're skating well they fully deserve great marks because they're really good but I personally don't see anything that I respond to. But I realize that doesn't mean they don't have musicality, or that people shouldn't like them, which is what people always say about Yulia. They keep grasping at straws saying everyone only likes her because (insert reason) as if that somehow takes away from the fact that so many people do enjoy her skating which means that it is good.

FSGMT

Record Breaker
Actually she's had three great seasons. She struggled a little bit at times, if you count trouble on a couple jumps while maintaining a fabulous program, struggling, considering how rarely the medallists go completely clean. You may think her jumps are tiny which I really don't get. I always just went with pointing out how good they are otherwise because everyone seems to agree. However, when I've looked at videos and very carefully compared the distance between the ice and the blade on some jumps, yes, they're clearly smaller, but on others there's not that much of a difference. I've always thought her skating goes well with the music you may not respond to it, and granted there were too many flexibility moves (which she did not choose)last year, but this year the choreography was better. Spins, spirals, those are supposed to show flexibility. The grand total of other moves showing flexibility in both programs: 1 Three seconds in her footwork sequence which matches perfectly with the music. No, we do not squeal over her flexibility. It adds to her skating because we know she doesn't come by it naturally, she works for at least forty-five minutes a day since at least the jr worlds in 2012 (where I first saw her skate and the commentator mentioned that). I like watching her because of how hard she works and how determined she is. And no, it's not because she's young (what does this even mean when all skaters are young?), her accomplishments on paper might sound better because she's young, but the reason so many people like her is because her skating is just that good. Every skater has a way of skating that draws people in or that they respond to. For me the only ladies skater's I've ever actually liked watching are Sasha Cohen and Yulia Lipnitskaia.

Everyone else has other skaters they like. For me I can objectively say Yuna's skating, or Mao's skating, or Radionova's skating is fantastic and when they're skating well they fully deserve great marks because they're really good but I personally don't see anything that I respond to. But I realize that doesn't mean they don't have musicality, or that people shouldn't like them, which is what people always say about Yulia. They keep grasping at straws saying everyone only likes her because (insert reason) as if that somehow takes away from the fact that so many people do enjoy her skating which means that it is good.
I really appreciate Julia, too, too. For me there are two main reasons: 1) her consistency, because I really love skaters that are able to present clean program after clean program flawlessly 2) her Schindler's List FS: most of her programs left me "cold" (for example this year's SP and last year's FS) but this program is probably one of the best choreos ever, because it was able to bring out emotions combining her qualities (flexibility, determination, ballet quality) with "traditional composition" (deep edges, transitions right before and after the elements, improved use of the arms, follow the music with the choreo), it is surely one of those once-in-a-lifetime masterpieces (S/S Pink Panther, Yu-Na Gerschwin, T/D's and Caro's Bolero) that make you fall in love with a skater.
At the same time, after seeing her live I do have to confirm that her jumps are actually really really small, even for her height, and that (except for Schindler's List) she often looks "deaf" while skating and that in many occasions she skates through the music and not with the music... This only means that she can still improve ;)