Page 14 of 20 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 LastLast

Thread: Prediction for your favorite skaters next season

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by anyanka View Post
    Good points about B/S returning to Russian #1, at least for the coming year. However, the parallel situation if S/K and/or I/Z to rise would be the 2010-11 year in pairs, when V/T appeared on the scene and took the national crown from K/S. I remember watching CBC and they said that the audiences were actually packed for pairs practice due to V/T making their major international debut. If either of the new dance teams rise up and create that much buzz, then B/S would drop off in the rankings. And you're right, I can absolutely see them on the podium, but I hope they come up with some more difficult moves and drama. Both are great athletes, but together they're sort of like oatmeal - very bland. They need something like their 12/13 FD to distinguish themselves. It was high-concept and great in theory, but in execution was less than what it could have been. Otherwise, they're finished.
    I guess we will have to see if a V/T parallel with one of those two teams happens. However I (and most others or so it seemed) were fully expecting V/T to star right away. It didnt even seem to come as a surprise, at most a relief that what people were expecting/hoping indeed came to pass. I dont sense that is being anticipated for either S/K or I/Z, atleast not right away.

Quote Originally Posted by pangtongfan View Post
    I guess we will have to see if a V/T parallel with one of those two teams happens. However I (and most others or so it seemed) were fully expecting V/T to star right away. It didnt even seem to come as a surprise, at most a relief that what people were expecting/hoping indeed came to pass. I dont sense that is being anticipated for either S/K or I/Z, atleast not right away.
    Agree, especially because in Pairs it is easier to "star right away" because there are the elements: if you land the jumps, your score goes up. V/T arrived with a perfect triple twist, two different sbs triples and enormous height in their throws so no-one could deny them big scores; in Ice Dance, you have to build your reputation step by step even to obtain the levels (we never see a low/middle-level couple receiving level 4 for a step sequence or +3 GOEs even for very well-executed elements), so it is almost impossible to "star right away". Anyway, since we're talking about skaters with a great reputation, we'll see

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by noskates View Post
    I think Jason Brown will win Nationals by a wide margin.
    Not if Jeremy Abbott has anything to say about it.

Ice is slippery.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sandpiper View Post
    Not if Jeremy Abbott has anything to say about it.
    And apparently, he does

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by YLFan View Post
    lol. I'm starting to wonder if these are parody accounts.

Why is she a favorite? Gee maybe because she dominated last season. Her only real times not winning gold were twice to Mao in Japan where she basically has a rubber stamped win. And in the Olympic individual where she was put in a bad position of having to have 4 great programs in one Olympic games.

She was the clear star of the team event and was first in both her programs in that.
    Yeah, about that.... she delivered excellent team skates, but every knows that she flutzed in the SP (4:28 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8KUa4bjtmhY) and it wasn't called -- so, really, Kostner should have been placed ahead of her (not that it mattered in the final standings), but being in Russia she basically has a "rubber-stamped win",right?

Speaking of rubber-stamped wins, how about Julia winning Cup of Russia with just 3 triples in her FS (with personal best PCS)?

Also, don't forget the "real time" she didn't win gold at Russian Nationals to Sotnikova... oh, and the individual event at the Olympics.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by noskates View Post
    I think Jason Brown will win Nationals by a wide margin.
    I love Jason but I disagree. Joshua's never been far off his tail and if he can start skating well and stay injury-free this season he'll be back up there, espcially with his big beautiful jumps. Max will be burning to get back on that top step and prove to everyone that he is a good skater and his National title wasn't a fluke. And then there's Rippon and Dornbush and Abbott and a bunch of other question marks who could also spoil the party.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by karne View Post
    I love Jason but I disagree. Joshua's never been far off his tail and if he can start skating well and stay injury-free this season he'll be back up there, espcially with his big beautiful jumps. Max will be burning to get back on that top step and prove to everyone that he is a good skater and his National title wasn't a fluke. And then there's Rippon and Dornbush and Abbott and a bunch of other question marks who could also spoil the party.
    Uh, Farris lost to Brown by 13 points. His personal best is 15 points shy of Brown's. I think he can catch up, but let's not pretend that Farris has shown the mettle to compete with Brown at this point. Certainly not if Brown gets a quad.

I think Max will step it up next year too. Brown winning Nationals isn't a certainty but one thing's for sure, he'll be the one everyone will be most itching to see.

Banned
    If Brown gets a quad none of the current U.S men can even dream of challenging him, probably not ever again. Without a quad he isnt totally unbeatable, but he is still the clear favorite right now, and if he skates clean would almost shut the door on the others. Even without the quad the only one I could see maybe beating him is Farris if he skates perfectly, but Farris is well known for his inconsistency. Aaron even landing a bunch of quads would probably lose to quadless Brown on GOE and PCS, as this years Nationals proved.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by CanadianSkaterGuy View Post
    Uh, Farris lost to Brown by 13 points. His personal best is 15 points shy of Brown's. I think he can catch up, but let's not pretend that Farris has shown the mettle to compete with Brown at this point. Certainly not if Brown gets a quad.
    Um, take a look over their entire career against each other. Farris has come out on top more often than Brown. At JWC LAST YEAR - as in, March last year, their last competitive head-to-head prior to this year's Nationals - Farris won by a margin of four points - with a fall. By international judges. They go back and forward. At Nationals last year where were they? Farris was 4th and Brown 9th. You also say: "If Brown gets a quad" - well, if Farris starts landing his...

I love them both, but let's not pretend one is vastly superior to the other. They've always been more or less on the same wavelength.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by CanadianSkaterGuy View Post

I think Max will step it up next year too. Brown winning Nationals isn't a certainty but one thing's for sure, he'll be the one everyone will be most itching to see.
    Until last season Joshua was ahead of Jason as a Junior so if Farris is consistent next season he becomes a real threat. He is also artistic in a more classical way but has more impressive jumps. He just needs to go for it and be more aggressive.

Custom Title
    US Nats -Men: Farris, Rippon, Aaron (Abbott -retired, Brown-skates but off podium)
    Ladies: Polina, Mirai, Ashley
    Dance: C/B, S/S, H/B

Ice is slippery.
    Jason might be consistent now, but who know's what'll happen once he puts in a quad. Adding a quad into your program changes everything since its so physically draining. IMO its too soon to tell how Jason will do next season.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by centerpt1 View Post
    US Nats -Men: Farris, Rippon, Aaron (Abbott -retired, Brown-skates but off podium)
    I see no scenario in which USFS allows Gracie or Jason to fall outside the top 3 or Mirai to fall into the top 3 unless Ashley is a total wreck again which I actually don't see happening now that Sochi is behind her and she's not defending.

I see it more like:

Ladies- Polina, Ashley, Gracie (bad skate under pressure of defending her title, rebounds at Worlds), Cesario/Hicks
    Men- Jason, Max, Joshua, Adam
    Dance- C/B by a ton, Shibs over H/B by a tiny margin, H/D
    Pairs- Hardest to call right now. I'd say Z/B win and Kayne/O'Shea are somewhere on the podium. Need to see if S/K look to have rebounded from their sophomore slump this fall, how Leng/Shnapir look when they debut and whether D/C retire.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by centerpt1 View Post
    I rather think you've forgotten that there are four podium places at US Nats...

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by flutzy13 View Post
    I see no scenario in which USFS allows Gracie or Jason to fall outside the top 3 or Mirai to fall into the top 3 unless Ashley is a total wreck again which I actually don't see happening now that Sochi is behind her and she's not defending.

I see it more like:

Ladies- Polina, Ashley, Gracie (bad skate under pressure of defending her title, rebounds at Worlds), Cesario/Hicks
    Men- Jason, Max, Joshua, Adam
    Dance- C/B by a ton, Shibs over H/B by a tiny margin, H/D
    Pairs- Hardest to call right now. I'd say Z/B win and Kayne/O'Shea are somewhere on the podium. Need to see if S/K look to have rebounded from their sophomore slump this fall, how Leng/Shnapir look when they debut and whether D/C retire.
    If Hubbel & Donohue fall back to 4th or 5th even with Davis & White now gone, I wonder if that will be it for them. I hope not as I love them. I hope they can somehow pass the Shibutanis next year and stay ahead of the up and comers.

Page 14 of 20 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 LastLast