Page 15 of 20 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 LastLast

Thread: Prediction for your favorite skaters next season

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by YLFan View Post
    lol. I'm starting to wonder if these are parody accounts.

Why is she a favorite? Gee maybe because she dominated last season. Her only real times not winning gold were twice to Mao in Japan where she basically has a rubber stamped win. And in the Olympic individual where she was put in a bad position of having to have 4 great programs in one Olympic games.

She was the clear star of the team event and was first in both her programs in that.
    If you read posts on this forum from Ziggy, who is known to be highly critical of Mao's urs, you would note that even he said that he would not have downgraded Mao's triple axel and triple flip / triple loop combo in the World's LP. Blades of Passion likewise said that her triple axel should not have been downgraded.

Many also criticized the downgrade on Mao's triple axel in her Grand Prix SP including the Eurosport commentators who were perplexed by her low score. You can also refer to the women's long programs thread for SOchi on this website, youtube and on numerous tweets to see the numerous posts that have criticized what is widely perceived to be Mao's deflated score in the Sochi LP and Lipnitskaya's inflated scores.

The only thing "rubber stamped" were lower scores for Mao.

Custom Title
    Rather than placement, here is my choice for "really hoping to have a break out year"

Women Mirai (You're a big girl now. Put in the time and effort, you have the goods)
    Ice Dance Shibs (It's tough as siblings but they have the D/W smarts and dedication. Whatever it takes. Let's see if Marina can give them the right vehicle)
    Pairs Zhang and Bartholemey (I know they had a fantastic Nationals. But that was staying on their feel and landing elements. Now let's see them shine!)
    Men Adam Rippon (last year so disappointing for him. Not sure Arturian is the right coach for him. )

Mao will get a boyfriend
    Elena will be second to Julia
    Ashley will be third, after Gracie and Polina
    Shibs will have terrible programs

Quote Originally Posted by chapis View Post
    Mao will get a boyfriend
    Yes for Mao and a boyfriend, but knowing Mao I think if she had one we will never know. She is so private

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by chapis View Post
    Mao will get a boyfriend
    I think everyone will be second to Julia. She will probably lose only once next season.. although I could picture another Russian like Radionova being the one to do it given Radionova is probably the only senior skater who can match Julia's consistency at this point (I'm not gonna say Pogo or Edmunds based off just Worlds).

I also predict that with the PCS gap betwen them tightened up, Edmunds will defeat Gold at some point.

Minze2001 Yes, probable we will found one day after her wedding, like Midori

Custom Title
    If Radionova actually starts developing and not having the body of a 10 year old her jumps may disappear. Things can change in just a few months for a girl her age.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by karne View Post
    Just because we don't believe Yulia is all that, doesn't make us "parody" accounts.

She had one good season. She is yet to grow. Her "artistry" basically consists of her hauling her foot up above her head whether it goes with the music or not. Her jumps are tiny and the technique is flawed. People squeal over her because of her flexibility and the fact she's so young.
    Actually she's had three great seasons. She struggled a little bit at times, if you count trouble on a couple jumps while maintaining a fabulous program, struggling, considering how rarely the medallists go completely clean. You may think her jumps are tiny which I really don't get. I always just went with pointing out how good they are otherwise because everyone seems to agree. However, when I've looked at videos and very carefully compared the distance between the ice and the blade on some jumps, yes, they're clearly smaller, but on others there's not that much of a difference. I've always thought her skating goes well with the music you may not respond to it, and granted there were too many flexibility moves (which she did not choose)last year, but this year the choreography was better. Spins, spirals, those are supposed to show flexibility. The grand total of other moves showing flexibility in both programs: 1 Three seconds in her footwork sequence which matches perfectly with the music. No, we do not squeal over her flexibility. It adds to her skating because we know she doesn't come by it naturally, she works for at least forty-five minutes a day since at least the jr worlds in 2012 (where I first saw her skate and the commentator mentioned that). I like watching her because of how hard she works and how determined she is. And no, it's not because she's young (what does this even mean when all skaters are young?), her accomplishments on paper might sound better because she's young, but the reason so many people like her is because her skating is just that good. Every skater has a way of skating that draws people in or that they respond to. For me the only ladies skater's I've ever actually liked watching are Sasha Cohen and Yulia Lipnitskaia.

Everyone else has other skaters they like. For me I can objectively say Yuna's skating, or Mao's skating, or Radionova's skating is fantastic and when they're skating well they fully deserve great marks because they're really good but I personally don't see anything that I respond to. But I realize that doesn't mean they don't have musicality, or that people shouldn't like them, which is what people always say about Yulia. They keep grasping at straws saying everyone only likes her because (insert reason) as if that somehow takes away from the fact that so many people do enjoy her skating which means that it is good.

Quote Originally Posted by Isabel_O'Reilly View Post
    Actually she's had three great seasons. She struggled a little bit at times, if you count trouble on a couple jumps while maintaining a fabulous program, struggling, considering how rarely the medallists go completely clean. You may think her jumps are tiny which I really don't get. I always just went with pointing out how good they are otherwise because everyone seems to agree. However, when I've looked at videos and very carefully compared the distance between the ice and the blade on some jumps, yes, they're clearly smaller, but on others there's not that much of a difference. I've always thought her skating goes well with the music you may not respond to it, and granted there were too many flexibility moves (which she did not choose)last year, but this year the choreography was better. Spins, spirals, those are supposed to show flexibility. The grand total of other moves showing flexibility in both programs: 1 Three seconds in her footwork sequence which matches perfectly with the music. No, we do not squeal over her flexibility. It adds to her skating because we know she doesn't come by it naturally, she works for at least forty-five minutes a day since at least the jr worlds in 2012 (where I first saw her skate and the commentator mentioned that). I like watching her because of how hard she works and how determined she is. And no, it's not because she's young (what does this even mean when all skaters are young?), her accomplishments on paper might sound better because she's young, but the reason so many people like her is because her skating is just that good. Every skater has a way of skating that draws people in or that they respond to. For me the only ladies skater's I've ever actually liked watching are Sasha Cohen and Yulia Lipnitskaia.

Everyone else has other skaters they like. For me I can objectively say Yuna's skating, or Mao's skating, or Radionova's skating is fantastic and when they're skating well they fully deserve great marks because they're really good but I personally don't see anything that I respond to. But I realize that doesn't mean they don't have musicality, or that people shouldn't like them, which is what people always say about Yulia. They keep grasping at straws saying everyone only likes her because (insert reason) as if that somehow takes away from the fact that so many people do enjoy her skating which means that it is good.
    I really appreciate Julia, too, too. For me there are two main reasons: 1) her consistency, because I really love skaters that are able to present clean program after clean program flawlessly 2) her Schindler's List FS: most of her programs left me "cold" (for example this year's SP and last year's FS) but this program is probably one of the best choreos ever, because it was able to bring out emotions combining her qualities (flexibility, determination, ballet quality) with "traditional composition" (deep edges, transitions right before and after the elements, improved use of the arms, follow the music with the choreo), it is surely one of those once-in-a-lifetime masterpieces (S/S Pink Panther, Yu-Na Gerschwin, T/D's and Caro's Bolero) that make you fall in love with a skater.
    At the same time, after seeing her live I do have to confirm that her jumps are actually really really small, even for her height, and that (except for Schindler's List) she often looks "deaf" while skating and that in many occasions she skates through the music and not with the music... This only means that she can still improve

Custom Title

Tripping on the Podium
    Quote Originally Posted by karne View Post

You can not make your opinion an absolute truth.
    You do not like it, fine, but other people like.
    And for me Yulia feel the music.

Banned
    I will give an example of Yulia's power. Me.

Prior to discovering her last fall I didn't follow figure skating at all. I could have cared less about it. Because of her I follow it closely and led to discovering other talents like Proklova that will keep me interested for years.

Size 7 Knife Boots Sam-Skwantch's Avatar
    What's the point in saying one is better. Just because Josh had a great SL doesn't diminish Yulia's in any way shape or form. At the same time just because one was far more successful doesn't necessarily make it better either. I can tell you that even you will remember Yulia's SL ten years from now as will countless others. I'm not so sure comparing two different styled skaters even makes sense. While Josh is more artistic Yulia is a program skater focused on her tech delivery more. I thought Yulia's was far more exciting while Josh's was more emotional.

Lets not forget this program was likely the main reason for Yulia's rise to the top ranks and helped her earn an Olympic birth when she was not supposed to be at the time of its design. In Russia many called her an "unexpected child". That isn't the case anymore largely due to her SL.

Custom Title
    I enjoyed that video clip - Joshua did a great job and I am intrigued to see him in the coming year. But I must agree that Yulia's skating was fabulous and she captured Schindler's list in a special way. Her red coat costume is a small part of that but, as we know, artistry is a package. Yulia had a great package for that piece of music throughout the year.

On another note, my predictions were focused on American skaters who I look forward to seeing this coming year. I must add an international twist with also looking forward to Weaver and Poje from Canada and Javier Fernandez from Spain. I am totally open in pairs.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by pangtongfan View Post
    If Hubbel & Donohue fall back to 4th or 5th even with Davis & White now gone, I wonder if that will be it for them. I hope not as I love them. I hope they can somehow pass the Shibutanis next year and stay ahead of the up and comers.
    I like them too but I'll be floored if they pass the Shibs and surprised if they can hold off their training mates Hawayek and Baker. I don't see 2 Krylova teams going to Worlds.

Page 15 of 20 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 LastLast