Page 18 of 20 FirstFirst ... 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 LastLast

Thread: Prediction for your favorite skaters next season

Love popcorn, hate horendous costumes Meoima's Avatar
    As much as I love Julia, I have to admit her jumps are pretty small. Her artistry has been covered a lot by the choreography and her flexibility. It's a good strategy. But still she has to develop and level-up herself at some point. So it's really interesting to see her next season. Since she will be the no 1 GP seed. I hope she will improve her jumps.

Frankly, I think Anna Pogo looks more mature than Julia, and more elegant than Sonitkova. Let's not forget Anna Pogo beat Sonitkova outside of Russian before. I hope good things will happen to this girl next season.

Sonitkova is still a mystery to me, though. Can she repeat what she did at Sochi?

Out of all these girls, I think Julia has the best momentum, nevertheless.

The good thing about yulia is that she is only 15yo, Mao, Shizuka and Yuna got really refined with time. I hope the same with Yulia. She has not changed much in the last year, is very probable she will be a tiny woman, I can not to say the same about Elena, she is still very thin, but definitly taller.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by chapis View Post
    The good thing about yulia is that she is only 15yo, Mao, Shizuka and Yuna got really refined with time. I hope the same with Yulia. She has not changed much in the last year, is very probable she will be a tiny woman, I can not to say the same about Elena, she is still very thin, but definitly taller.
    I bet if Yulia were to switch to pairs right now she'd have some of the highest, fastest, longest throw jumps out there today.

Custom Title
    I think Yulia is a better performer than Adelina and Anna. Perhaps it's because she got better programs this year, but I connected with her a lot more than the other Russian girls (who I, generally, do like).

I don't think Yulia needs to "look mature" like Anna. Yulia's programs work because they are choreographed for a young girl, and they use her vulnerability to the program's advantage. For some reason, that seems to be labelled as manipulative, but imo it's just playing to your strengths. Just like Carolina uses her maturity to perform Bolero. Yulia's programs won't work for Carolina... and the reverse won't work either.

As I said in the "Women and girls" thread... there doesn't have to be just one kind of lady in the field. Yes, Yulia is a "girl," not a "woman." And there's nothing wrong with that. I don't think Anna looking more mature is--or should be--some innate advantage over Yulia.

And I think, in a sense, Yulia is more mature than Anna in the ways that matter--she's a fierce competitor, she seems to pour herself deeply into her music and programs, and she knows how to use her strengths to her advantage.

Landing 3As in my dreams! skatedreamer's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by CanadianSkaterGuy View Post
    Fixed.

Julia is still one of my favourite skaters, and she has special qualities that Asada/Kim lack (flexibility, variety/positions/speed in spins, the ability to add 3-3's or 2A-3's in the second half), but in terms of skating skills and presentation, it's really quite unfair to Julia to even compare her at this point to much more developed skaters like Asada/Kim/Kostner.
    Julia's qualities are undeniable, especially those amazing spins! However, not sure why it's unfair to compare her skills/presentation to Asada/Kim/Kostner except that AFAIK, they won't be competing this season. If any of them were coming back, though, I'd say game on. The very nature of competition is that all the participants get stacked up against one another. If you want to run with the big dogs...

Hmmm... Firstly I have to find out who they are. So many to enjoy

For now I predict all of them training hard for next season

Quote Originally Posted by Sandpiper View Post
    I think Yulia is a better performer than Adelina and Anna. Perhaps it's because she got better programs this year, but I connected with her a lot more than the other Russian girls (who I, generally, do like).

I don't think Yulia needs to "look mature" like Anna. Yulia's programs work because they are choreographed for a young girl, and they use her vulnerability to the program's advantage. For some reason, that seems to be labelled as manipulative, but imo it's just playing to your strengths. Just like Carolina uses her maturity to perform Bolero. Yulia's programs won't work for Carolina... and the reverse won't work either.

As I said in the "Women and girls" thread... there doesn't have to be just one kind of lady in the field. Yes, Yulia is a "girl," not a "woman." And there's nothing wrong with that. I don't think Anna looking more mature is--or should be--some innate advantage over Yulia.

And I think, in a sense, Yulia is more mature than Anna in the ways that matter--she's a fierce competitor, she seems to pour herself deeply into her music and programs, and she knows how to use her strengths to her advantage.
    The thing I want to say is, Yulia will grow up, even if not in term of height. She can't not stay a little girl for 4 more years. So the choreography will have to adjust to her development. And I am very curious to see that adjustment.

About Anna Pogo, she will have to suffer the low PCS for a while. But I don't think her looks will not change that much in the next 4 years. So it's not wrong to say Anna Pogo has the advantage of looks.

Out of all these girls, Yulia and Radionova still look junior, despite how much skilled they are. But anyways, they both have "it factor" so I think their future will be bright.

Sonitkova is a big mystery, still.

Quote Originally Posted by snowflake View Post
    Hmmm... Firstly I have to find out who they are. So many to enjoy

For now I predict all of them training hard for next season

Tripping on the Podium
    Yulia is still young and will likely improve in the category Art, she just needs time.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Meoima View Post
    The thing I want to say is, Yulia will grow up, even if not in term of height. She can't not stay a little girl for 4 more years. So the choreography will have to adjust to her development. And I am very curious to see that adjustment.

About Anna Pogo, she will have to suffer the low PCS for a while. But I don't think her looks will not change that much in the next 4 years. So it's not wrong to say Anna Pogo has the advantage of looks.

Out of all these girls, Yulia and Radionova still look junior, despite how much skilled they are. But anyways, they both have "it factor" so I think their future will be bright.

Sonitkova is a big mystery, still.
    Oh, of course, she won't stay a little girl forever! I wouldn't wish such a hard fate on her! It's true, her programs will change as she grows older. I look forward to it. If she can pull off a Bolero when she's older, I wouldn't argue against it.

I'm still confused about why Anna "has the advantage in looks" though. Maybe in jumps, since she's likely past puberty and won't need to struggle (Yulia might). However, what's wrong with Yulia's looks changing in the future? In fact, I think that's to her advantage. I'd like to be able to look back on her career and see a huge variety of programs--both the girl and the woman. Yulia looking young right now isn't a problem, at least not for me.

Perhaps you're wondering if Yulia will adapt to more mature programs? That's certainly not a guarantee... but we also don't know if Anna will be able to get better programs, period, in the future. (I don't think her LP this year was as horrific as some were saying, but it probably wasn't the best vehicle. Hated the way the Canadian commentators trashed it, probably to justify Kostner's bronze).

Quote Originally Posted by Sandpiper View Post
    Perhaps you're wondering if Yulia will adapt to more mature programs? That's certainly not a guarantee... but we also don't know if Anna will be able to get better programs, period, in the future. (I don't think her LP this year was as horrific as some were saying, but it probably wasn't the best vehicle. Hated the way the Canadian commentators trashed it, probably to justify Kostner's bronze).
    Yup. It's very difficult to see what kind of programs they will use for Yulia once she gets the mature looks that will come with growing up. But just forget it now since we can't be so sure for her style to be changed to which direction.

Anna Pogo seems to pass her grow spurt so I think she can do more mature programs, and she is more elegant than Sonitkova. But the thing is will she receive enough funding and attention for better choreography and costumes? Anna herself also said that in Russia, she was just considered B level skater. Poor girl.

Custom Title
    Predictions for my favourite skaters next season:

- I predict that I will love Tristan and Iseult and you'll all be begging me to shut up about it. (Go Jason!)

- I predict that I will be sitting in front of my computer at some point in floods of tears as the music of Schindler's List plays (Go Josh!)

- I predict that at least once this season I will shriek and cover my eyes as someone comes a little too close for comfort to the boards (Go Max!)

- I predict that I will wear my Sinatra hat during the Nationals SP (Go Lukas!)

- I predict that I will end up saving my sleep over Christmas so I can stream videos of Russian Nationals again (Go Artur! Go Kostya! Go...Plushy?)

Quote Originally Posted by karne View Post
    Predictions for my favourite skaters next season:

- I predict that I will love Tristan and Iseult and you'll all be begging me to shut up about it. (Go Jason!)

- I predict that I will be sitting in front of my computer at some point in floods of tears as the music of Schindler's List plays (Go Josh!)

- I predict that at least once this season I will shriek and cover my eyes as someone comes a little too close for comfort to the boards (Go Max!)

- I predict that I will wear my Sinatra hat during the Nationals SP (Go Lukas!)

- I predict that I will end up saving my sleep over Christmas so I can stream videos of Russian Nationals again (Go Artur! Go Kostya! Go...Plushy?)
    I predict your predictions to come true. You will have a great next season

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Meoima View Post
    Yup. It's very difficult to see what kind of programs they will use for Yulia once she gets the mature looks that will come with growing up. But just forget it now since we can't be so sure for her style to be changed to which direction.m

Anna Pogo seems to pass her grow spurt so I think she can do more mature programs, and she is more elegant than Sonitkova. But the thing is will she receive enough funding and attention for better choreography and costumes? Anna herself also said that in Russia, she was just considered B level skater. Poor girl.
    Hmm, it's possible Yulia could be like the child actor struggling to get roles once they grow up. I hope not. I think she's talented enough to overcome it. A lot will depend on how her team handles her programs + how they're received by the audience and judges.

Aww, sorry to hear that about Anna. I actually prefer Adelina so far because, while she isn't graceful, she does have a certain kind of grit that I like. But Anna definitely shouldn't be considered a B-level skater, and I think she has many good qualities that were unfortunately hidden by her programs.

Quote Originally Posted by karne View Post
    I predict Max will choreograph a boards-crash to show off how awesome he is (and to stick it to the judges).

He's got the triple axel back already, so...

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by loiza View Post
    Yulia is still young and will likely improve in the category Art, she just needs time.
    I could see Julia turning into a Maria Butyrskaya-type skater in a few years, artistically speaking. I don't see Julia becoming a super engaging performer like Kaetlyn or Adelina but that reserved style worked very well for Maria.

Page 18 of 20 FirstFirst ... 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 LastLast