Prediction for your favorite skaters next season | Page 5 | Golden Skate

Prediction for your favorite skaters next season

anyanka

Record Breaker
All my faves are retiring or already retired, so that leaves slim pickings for me. But here goes from amongst the new ones:

- Yuzu does battle with Javi and Tatsuki all season long, trading places, but Yan Han becomes world champion on home soil, stunning everyone
- Russian ladies sweep the Euro podium, Yulia wins every competition she enters and becomes world champion
- V/T sweep the season in pairs
- W/P "avenge" their 0.02 loss at worlds by beating C/L by 0.01 ... then they go into an exact tie in 2016, no tiebreaker is invoked, and they both become world champions. Heh. :biggrin:

alebi

Medalist
if we're only talking about our favourite, then...

Hanyu will improve in style and get a stable 4S
Lipnitskaia will fight for any important podium and get random wins during GP season
Brown, Rippon and Farris get the three US spots for worlds :love:
Fernandez'll win Euro
Weaver/Poje will win Worlds and Cappellini/Lanotte will podium again
Papadakis/Cizeron will be n°1 French dance team
Machida will be stable n°2 Japanese skater

FSGMT

Record Breaker
I bet Skate America looks something like: Gold, Cesario, Keiser, Meite, Marchei, Tuktamysheva, Helgesson (Viktoria), Miyahara, Daleman, Weinzeirl.
Marchei won't probably compete next year (she will probably announce retirement soon, since she's 27 and her lifetime goal was going to the Olympics, even if she could stay around a couple of seasons more now that she'll be Italy #1 for sure), but... Keiser?! :unsure:

flutzy13

On the Ice
Since US Nats is always my favorite competition of the year, I'm going tto go out on a limb and predict based on gut feeling.

Ladies- 1. Polina 2. Gracie 3. Ashley 4. Samantha Cesario
Men's- 1. Jason 2. Adam 3. Josh 4. Jeremy
Pairs- 1. Castelli & Shnapir 2. Zhang & Batholomay 3. Kayne & O'Shea 4. Scimeca & Knierim
Dance- 1. Chock & Bates 2. Hawayek & Baker 3. Shibs 4. Hubbell & Donohue

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
Is it a curse? And please confirm this for me, is Yuzuru even your favorite skater? :eek:

He's currently my favourite active skater, yes. :)

I don't think it's a curse. These guys are going for the highest difficulty under a demanding system. Errors are inevitable, and when you get errors then it comes down to who is the best overall skater (which is how Chan was able to win so many times, given his superior all-around skating). Now that Hanyu is doing the highest difficulty and Chan is out of the picture, and is continuing to strive for the highest difficulty, he'll be the one to beat, but I anticipate that he might not be squeaky clean (or even close to it) every time out. I'm glad he is trying to improve even though he could compete with two 4T's and two 3A's and that would probably be enough for any victory.

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
There should be a petition to bring Yulia to Skate America.

That will never happen, unfortunately for the fans. USFSA would forbid it. I'm surprised they brought Mao last season, given that Wagner was all but guaranteed the win with decent skates. But inviting Julia would likely deny Gold a win, and reduce the latter's GPF chances. I mean, everyone knows Mao would beat Wagner (and it's fine because nobody expects Wagner to be as good as Mao), but Gold is hoping to make up ground on Julia, and with Julia skating well in the early season usually, and Gold not skating well in the early season (at least going by the past few seasons), a silver for Gold would be inevitable and a setback in cementing herself as someone who is at least on par with Julia (which right now she definitely is not).

Rhodium

On the Ice
Inviting Julia to Skate America is profitable for organizers. Gracie vs Julia would be a great battle.

Ryan O

Final Flight
Country
Canada
Dance- 1. Chock & Bates 2. Hawayek & Baker 3. Shibs 4. Hubbell & Donohue

That would be interesting. H&B did just win this year's Junior Worlds, but would they really jump up that high and place ahead of not only H&D but The Shibs, as well?

skatefan17

On the Ice
That will never happen, unfortunately for the fans. USFSA would forbid it. I'm surprised they brought Mao last season, given that Wagner was all but guaranteed the win with decent skates. But inviting Julia would likely deny Gold a win, and reduce the latter's GPF chances. I mean, everyone knows Mao would beat Wagner (and it's fine because nobody expects Wagner to be as good as Mao), but Gold is hoping to make up ground on Julia, and with Julia skating well in the early season usually, and Gold not skating well in the early season (at least going by the past few seasons), a silver for Gold would be inevitable and a setback in cementing herself as someone who is at least on par with Julia (which right now she definitely is not).

We know Gracie wants to win a medal, but how do you know she even thinks about Julia? I'm sure she wants to be better than every up and coming skater, as does any competitive skater. I think Julia is getting too much credit, too soon.

Sam-Skwantch

“I solemnly swear I’m up to no good”
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
We know Gracie wants to win a medal, but how do you know she even thinks about Julia? I'm sure she wants to be better than every up and coming skater, as does any competitive skater. I think Julia is getting too much credit, too soon.

Too much credit too soon? What does that mean? Winning international championships is the goal and that's what she is doing. The only time I've seen Gracie finish higher than Yulia is the Olympics where both had inflated scores neither got on the podium and Yulia fell twice. Are you suggesting Gracie deserves more credit because the results speak otherwise. Head to head or season by season comparison. I think Yulia is doing quite well. :scratch:

How does Gracie competing in a watered down field build credibility? Especially if she fails at GPF or Worlds. If that is the case than it may prove do to the exact opposite!

pangtongfan

Match Penalty
They have to invite a top 3 seed, which is why Mao was invited last year. Maybe it would have been wiser in hindsight to invite Kostner, but Mao was considered by many as the weakest of the top 3 after worlds last year, and often struggles early season (although Kostner does also). Obviously they were not going to invite Kim.

pangtongfan

Match Penalty
Her body changed at that time because she had had an injury and was off the ice; she was also off her strict diet and gained weight as a result. Ilya Averbuch has said that Julia has to maintain a very strict diet to keep her weight down. He said he didn't know if Julia's skating would be able to handle the body changes that come with puberty. Part of the reason why she hasn't exhibited the usual body changes that go with puberty is because of that very, very strict diet she is on. Staying very, very thin plus lots of exercise can delay puberty, even for years. But eventually, Julia's body will change. She may not develop a large bust, but she will have hips and a changed center of gravity.

Or she just might keep the heavy diet right through puberty. That is what Sasha did and her body barely changed at all.

Ryan O

Final Flight
Country
Canada
It will be interesting to see what happens with the seeding once all the retirements and changes are made official over the next month or two. Some retirements are not official yet, and we still don't know for sure what some of the final partnerships may be.

In dance, since P&B are retiring and I&K and S&Z appear to be breaking up, that may mean that Gilles/Poirier and Coombes/Buckland move up to seeded status. That was not originally expected, so we will see if that affects anything.

pangtongfan

Match Penalty
It will be interesting to see what happens with the seeding once all the retirements and changes are made official over the next month or two. Some retirements are not official yet, and we still don't know for sure what some of the final partnerships may be.

In dance, since P&B are retiring and I&K and S&Z appear to be breaking up, that may mean that Gilles/Poirier and Coombes/Buckland move up to seeded status. That was not originally expected, so we will see if that affects anything.

If just one more team doesnt skate next season then P&I would move up to seeded status too. There are some who speculate C&L might take their world title and run, although I dont see it happening pesonally, and expect to see them on the grand prix list.

Ryan O

Final Flight
Country
Canada
Yes, there seem to be some people who think (hope?) that C&L will retire. I suppose they will have to think it over. Go out on top, or stay around for a couple more seasons with the chance of more World medals now that D&W and V&M appear to be gone. With P&B retiring, they will be the clear European #1 for now.

But if they go, then yes, P&I could move up to seeded status as well. (The Germans bombing in the FD and dropping below P&I could turn out to be more significant for P&I than originally expected.)