Page 7 of 20 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 ... LastLast

Thread: Prediction for your favorite skaters next season

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by YLFan View Post
    There should be a petition to bring Yulia to Skate America.
    That will never happen, unfortunately for the fans. USFSA would forbid it. I'm surprised they brought Mao last season, given that Wagner was all but guaranteed the win with decent skates. But inviting Julia would likely deny Gold a win, and reduce the latter's GPF chances. I mean, everyone knows Mao would beat Wagner (and it's fine because nobody expects Wagner to be as good as Mao), but Gold is hoping to make up ground on Julia, and with Julia skating well in the early season usually, and Gold not skating well in the early season (at least going by the past few seasons), a silver for Gold would be inevitable and a setback in cementing herself as someone who is at least on par with Julia (which right now she definitely is not).

Yulia Lipnitskaya-san, Roshia! Rhodium's Avatar
    Inviting Julia to Skate America is profitable for organizers. Gracie vs Julia would be a great battle.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by flutzy13 View Post
    Dance- 1. Chock & Bates 2. Hawayek & Baker 3. Shibs 4. Hubbell & Donohue
    That would be interesting. H&B did just win this year's Junior Worlds, but would they really jump up that high and place ahead of not only H&D but The Shibs, as well?

On the Ice
    Quote Originally Posted by CanadianSkaterGuy View Post
    That will never happen, unfortunately for the fans. USFSA would forbid it. I'm surprised they brought Mao last season, given that Wagner was all but guaranteed the win with decent skates. But inviting Julia would likely deny Gold a win, and reduce the latter's GPF chances. I mean, everyone knows Mao would beat Wagner (and it's fine because nobody expects Wagner to be as good as Mao), but Gold is hoping to make up ground on Julia, and with Julia skating well in the early season usually, and Gold not skating well in the early season (at least going by the past few seasons), a silver for Gold would be inevitable and a setback in cementing herself as someone who is at least on par with Julia (which right now she definitely is not).
    We know Gracie wants to win a medal, but how do you know she even thinks about Julia? I'm sure she wants to be better than every up and coming skater, as does any competitive skater. I think Julia is getting too much credit, too soon.

Size 7 Knife Boots Sam-Skwantch's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by skatefan17 View Post
    We know Gracie wants to win a medal, but how do you know she even thinks about Julia? I'm sure she wants to be better than every up and coming skater, as does any competitive skater. I think Julia is getting too much credit, too soon.
    Too much credit too soon? What does that mean? Winning international championships is the goal and that's what she is doing. The only time I've seen Gracie finish higher than Yulia is the Olympics where both had inflated scores neither got on the podium and Yulia fell twice. Are you suggesting Gracie deserves more credit because the results speak otherwise. Head to head or season by season comparison. I think Yulia is doing quite well.

How does Gracie competing in a watered down field build credibility? Especially if she fails at GPF or Worlds. If that is the case than it may prove do to the exact opposite!

Banned
    They have to invite a top 3 seed, which is why Mao was invited last year. Maybe it would have been wiser in hindsight to invite Kostner, but Mao was considered by many as the weakest of the top 3 after worlds last year, and often struggles early season (although Kostner does also). Obviously they were not going to invite Kim.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by chuckm View Post
    Her body changed at that time because she had had an injury and was off the ice; she was also off her strict diet and gained weight as a result. Ilya Averbuch has said that Julia has to maintain a very strict diet to keep her weight down. He said he didn't know if Julia's skating would be able to handle the body changes that come with puberty. Part of the reason why she hasn't exhibited the usual body changes that go with puberty is because of that very, very strict diet she is on. Staying very, very thin plus lots of exercise can delay puberty, even for years. But eventually, Julia's body will change. She may not develop a large bust, but she will have hips and a changed center of gravity.
    Or she just might keep the heavy diet right through puberty. That is what Sasha did and her body barely changed at all.

Custom Title
    It will be interesting to see what happens with the seeding once all the retirements and changes are made official over the next month or two. Some retirements are not official yet, and we still don't know for sure what some of the final partnerships may be.

In dance, since P&B are retiring and I&K and S&Z appear to be breaking up, that may mean that Gilles/Poirier and Coombes/Buckland move up to seeded status. That was not originally expected, so we will see if that affects anything.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryan O View Post
    It will be interesting to see what happens with the seeding once all the retirements and changes are made official over the next month or two. Some retirements are not official yet, and we still don't know for sure what some of the final partnerships may be.

In dance, since P&B are retiring and I&K and S&Z appear to be breaking up, that may mean that Gilles/Poirier and Coombes/Buckland move up to seeded status. That was not originally expected, so we will see if that affects anything.
    If just one more team doesnt skate next season then P&I would move up to seeded status too. There are some who speculate C&L might take their world title and run, although I dont see it happening pesonally, and expect to see them on the grand prix list.

Custom Title
    Yes, there seem to be some people who think (hope?) that C&L will retire. I suppose they will have to think it over. Go out on top, or stay around for a couple more seasons with the chance of more World medals now that D&W and V&M appear to be gone. With P&B retiring, they will be the clear European #1 for now.

But if they go, then yes, P&I could move up to seeded status as well. (The Germans bombing in the FD and dropping below P&I could turn out to be more significant for P&I than originally expected.)

Banned
    Right now Weaver & Poje's only competition for next season looks to be Capellini & Lanotte and Bobrova & Soloviev. If C&L do retire then they really will be in position to potentially dominate. Unless Chock & Bates show an unlikely improvement in just one season, or one of the new Russian formations works out better than any of us seem to be projecting them to.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by pangtongfan View Post
    Right now Weaver & Poje's only competition for next season looks to be Capellini & Lanotte and Bobrova & Soloviev. If C&L do retire then they really will be in position to potentially dominate. Unless Chock & Bates show an unlikely improvement in just one season, or one of the new Russian formations works out better than any of us seem to be projecting them to.
    Yes, I think this analysis is sound. Unless V&M or D&W surprise us by coming back, then W&P only have C&L and B&S to worry about right now. It's possible one of the Russian formations could move up the standings quickly though. Judges also seem to like keeping more than one Russian team in contention.

In any event, there has been far more movement in dance post-Sochi than we expected. We assumed V&M and D&W would move on, but I don't think we expected so many new formations or retirements or as much movement in the Top 10 at Worlds. Who would have thought we would have 3 Canadian teams in the Top 10 and that they could have a shot at seeded status so soon?

Custom Title
    I predict...
    Gracie Gold: will win her first gp event. Will place 3rd or 4th at gpf. 3rd at worlds.
    Yulia L: will place 1st at both gp events. Wins GPF. Survives puberty monster for the year. 1st at euros. 1st at worlds. (... maybe I should predict her to lose something... but without Adelina, I don't expect her to lose)
    Polina Edmunds: wins a gp event. Places 3rd at GPF. 2nd at worlds. (basically, a dream year for Polina Edmunds, continuing her meteoric rise to the international stage). I hope she can continue her improvement!

Park So-youn: medals at a gp event. Top 6 at worlds. places 1st or 2nd at 4CC -- either beating or losing to Murakami.
    Adelina Sotnikova: Gets enough grand prix points to make gpf, but does not medal. We barely see her again.

Mao takes a year off or Yuna's the season -- participating in only worlds, and whatever events she needs to get to worlds.
    Hanyu wins all of his events.

I have lots of wishes.. haha

Happy Holidays to you! sunny_stars's Avatar
    PREDICTIONZ

Skaters who I think are pulling a Yuna (can we agree that it's a new competition season word?)
    Mao Asada - is it confirmed?
    Daisuke Takahashi - although the R word for him is imminent, I think he still wants to compete
    Carolina Kostner - same as Daisuke she looks like she wants to compete though
    Takahiko Kozuka - I have a feeling he might

Most dominant:
    Hanyu - 1st in most major competitions but might come second to Javi or Tatsuki in GPF
    V/T - win everything
    Julia - 1st in most major competitions but might be second to Adelina, Elena, or Anna in Euros and/or Russian Nats.
    No one in ice dance...unless V/M or D/W comes back

Others:
    Anna P. - gets her shining moment next season
    Elena - gets a good season not as successful as Julia last year but nonetheless, a good one
    Park - gets a medal at a GP event; medals in 4CC; part of top 10 in Worlds; adds a triple toe to her flip (my wish)
    Kanako - may have a weird season like this year's but places better

Javi - WINS IN GPF (my wish )
    Tatsuki - gets a good season! medals at every event

Banned
    I would like to see Kozuka make a strong comeback. IMO he is a far more talented and better overall skater than Machida when he is "on" but he hasnt been on in so long. Skated well at Japanese Nationals, but not great, and that is the first time he even skated well in quite awhile.

Page 7 of 20 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 ... LastLast