I'm just curious. Where are you from? | Page 4 | Golden Skate

I'm just curious. Where are you from?

Panpie

On the Ice
Hmm. Let's see if I can kill this thread, too. ;) Love reading where everyone is from. I'm from Indiana. Haven't seen any tornadoes up close, but we get some.

Figure skating is not very popular here. The last time I know of that COI was to come through this area, they ended up cancelling several shows in the Midwest, including the ones that would have been a reasonable drive for me and my mom. It did not help that the ticket prices were very high for a lot of people in this part of the United States. I'm not sure of the last time SOI came through this area, but the last time the I know of was probably eight or nine years ago. I really haven't checked into it recently, however. Basketball is the most popular winter sport in Indiana, no question.

The first time I remember watching skating on TV was Dorothy Hamill at the 1976 Olympics. I've loved it since then, but it is very sad how the TV coverage has decreased over the years. NBC's daytime Olympics coverage was great (save Johnny and Tara), but it would be nice to have better coverage during the GP series and Worlds.

deedee1

Record Breaker
I'm from Japan; born in Yokohama and raised up there, till got married, and now living in its neighboring city. :)
Figure skating here is pretty much popular I would say! ;) But its popularity in my heart is regressing these days, to be honest, because most of my favorite skaters, whom I have cheered for so many years, either already retired or retiring... :cry::cry:

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
Thanks to the OP for a great thread -- this is a nice change from the others we've been getting lately. :thumbsup:

I'm from Washington... THE STATE!!! And on the desert side (Washington is actually quite geographically diverse).

However, I've been all over the place. Previous lived in several cities: Lancaster, Pennsylvania; Philadelphia; Louisville, Ky and Chicago. I also spent summers in Milwaukee, Minneapolis and Orlando.

The Pacific Northwest isn't known as a skating mecca (though Tonya Harding certainty tried to make her mark in that regard being from Portland), however it seems there's an active skating culture here -- Jean Luc Baker, the ice dancer, for example is from the Seattle area and his parents are coaches in the area; Ben Agosto coaches in the area as well.

There are quite a few ice rinks in this state though most of them, like many others, focus more on hockey. Wenatchee, which is actually a small agricultural town, similar to where I live, actually manged to get a stop on Stars on Ice along with Portland and Seattle, so that's pretty noteworthy.

Where I live there is an ice rink, but it's run on a shoe string budget and is only open for part of the year. Most of the people who are active play hockey.

Where are you from? I come from South-east Asia too, Viet Nam. There no ice rink here and figure skating is not popular. Most people don't know anything about it.

I'm American, but ethnically Vietnamese! Parents have been in the U.S. since the Fall of Saigon (both my parents came from Saigon, though officially my dad is what you call Nam and my mom considers herself Bac since she came from Saigon from the North though she spent most of her life in the South.)

Last edited:

Meoima

Match Penalty
Hey Mrs.P, we should make a list of all locations to see how diverse our forum is!!! :popcorn: I am also from Southeast Asia but currently working in Australia (though it's been 10 years I haven't come back). Waw, lots of Asian here. :yay:

BusyMom

Medalist
I think Meoima came from Vietnam too. And wait, I'm not sure but there are about 2 indoor ice rinks here (one in Royal City, Hanoi and another in HCMC). During the Olympics there was live broadcast on TV but no figure skating. However, some teenagers became Yuzuru's fangirls after his OGM (because of his look :no:) and imo that "Yuzuru fever" has gone now :p

Yes there are one ice rink in Hanoi but the one in Ho chi minh is synthetic ice. Some years back little Nam was the one who drew Vietnamese to FS and now as you said Yuzuru.

I, myself, are half Vietnamese. Both of my maternal grandparents were Vietnamese, one from Da Nang and the other from Hue. Still have a big family living in Vietnam. But more than half of my family including my mom moved to Australia more than 20 years ago.

pamela

Rinkside
Im from Chile, we are a live apocalyptic movie.

People only care for football, some time ago we had some world class tennis players so it took some attention but thats over now. In like everyblock there's a baby football field, I think one mall had a rink but its dead now, south part of the country have some I guess. Winter weather (like for sports) lasts for like a month and a half - two months so nobody really cares about winter sports. But my dad told me that when he was young and leaving in the south he saw a couple ice dancing combined with pairs in a public rink and all the people were like WOW, they were probably promoting an ice circus/show.

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
Hey Mrs.P, we should make a list of all locations to see how diverse our forum is!!! :popcorn: I am also from Southeast Asia but currently working in Australia (though it's been 10 years I haven't come back). Waw, lots of Asian here. :yay:

I love making maps....I might do it for fun. Check back people!

noidont

Final Flight
Shanghai, China.

I sometimes go skating in a mall rink and it's always packed, though most are stumbling amateurs like me. At least half a dozen rinks opened this year all over China though. Somehow mall developers were told it's a good investment. So I suppose it's not unpopular and in ten years we might have a lot more figure skaters. Fun fact: nowhere south of Beijing in China has ever produced even a national level skater. Southern China is a worse skating nation than the Philippines.

Hanmgse

Record Breaker
México ^^ figure skating is not popular here, I've just gone once to a rink :eek:hwell:

I'm from Indiana.

Ahh! What part of Indiana? :) And as you said, basketball is a big deal! (Though, I probably should've been born in another country or at least another part of our's because I'm an all winter sports and soccer fan.) So, are you a fan of the: Hoosiers, Boilermakers, or KY Wildcats? (Or someone totally different, haha.)

I grew up in southern Indiana. That's why I'm so curious! :) When I was young, skating wasn't really very popular......But now, hockey is becoming more popular in my hometown. Currently, I am in Kentucky...soooooo no skating for me or any skating shows either. :cry:

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States

I think Meoima came from Vietnam too. And wait, I'm not sure but there are about 2 indoor ice rinks here (one in Royal City, Hanoi and another in HCMC). During the Olympics there was live broadcast on TV but no figure skating. However, some teenagers became Yuzuru's fangirls after his OGM (because of his look :no:) and imo that "Yuzuru fever" has gone now :p

From Uzbekistan originally but right now I live in Canada, ON

Welcome to Golden Skate, Teddy, Lydia1703, and ioanablabla!

[email protected]

Medalist
Record Breaker
I can boast that I skated at the same rink as Maxim Trankov but about 20 years before him. It was outdoors back then - now they made it indoors. I wish we had more rinks in Russia. Parents complain that they have to wake the kids as early as 5. Well, I have a little boy and I am not sure that FS would be the right choice for him.