I'm just curious. Where are you from? | Page 10 | Golden Skate

I'm just curious. Where are you from?

nimi

Medalist
I'm from Manila, Philippines. Long-time lurker ever since the Vancouver Olympics, which is what really got me into the technicalities of figure skating (er you can say I'm obsessed), but I've been a fan of Sasha Cohen and Michelle Kwan ever since I was a kid (I'm 20 now).

I've never set foot on an ice rink in my life because of the scarcity of rinks in the Philippines. I guess that's due to the fact that there's no snow here, which kills any any interest winter sports because, well, we don't have winter (it's currently summer here, two days ago it reached 34 degrees celsius, argh). Recently though figure skating has been gaining a LOT of popularity because of MCM. I do hope to try ice skating sometime soon, since a rink opened near my place so that's pretty neat :D

That's great!
I was really impressed by MCM. My country (Finland) is a wintersports country and I think most kids learn to skate, but we didn't have any figure skaters in Sochi - so it's really cool that Philippines did!

Keep posting :)

She totally did wear her massive heels and they had a cart with one of the kids in it :laugh: I was very impressed that they could do that - absolutely nobody bothered them and they looked like a completely average family there, bagging their little apples and bananas and squeezing melons and whatnot. Nobody spoke to them or asked for autographs or took pictures.

What a great image that conjures up! I'm glad people let them alone.

On the topic of cultural cross-pollination, I'm currently listening to a splendid performance of Bach's St. John Passion (Johannespassion) performed in Tokyo in 2000 by a Japanese Bach orchestra and an international group of singers.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-d9FLEIQfME

WeakAnkles

Record Breaker
I started watching football from Euro88 so I was in time for the Laudrup. Too bad none of the Scandinavian teams made to the World Cup this year.

:laugh: You worked for Tesco? I worked in Saintsbury in Eastbourne during my college years. Poor student but good times. Good thing about UK is they left celebrities alone, except the paparazzi of course. I lived in London SW(near Glocester Rd. Station) for a few years. Back then there were quite a lot of famous musicians and actors live in the same area. Some of them even had a casual chat with you.

LOL. It's the same in NYC. Although there are times one is tempted to notice them. Like the morning they were filming 30 Rock on my block and Tina Fey was screaming into her walkie-talkie. At 7am. Right outside my window. Believe me, it took a lot of self control NOT to notice her then. :)

Alba

Record Breaker
Oh you're lucky. I had the chance to listen sky's commentary during Sochi OG (thanks to cielo and to some internet feeds) and it was really refreshing compared to the incompetence (Secondini) and to the partisanship (Bianconi) of some comments I usually have to endure with Rai. I really enjoyed ambesi and freri's commentary (not so much fontana, if i have to be honest). Are they the 'official team' for FS or did they only cover the OG?

I'm usually a lurker here and i restrain myself to post because of my english, therefore sorry for the mistakes and for the off-topic :)

I didn't like Fontana at all tbh. Freri is Ok for a non-expert commentary, not like Secondini. Bianconi has become really bad becase she's so biased, as you said. Freri is official for FS on Sky Sport and also Margaglio. Ambesi was only covering the OG this time because as alebi said Max Ambesi and Angelo Dolfini work for Eurosport and they are the best in the field. Both competent and not biased at all.

Poor Ambesi, he had a fight with a lot of Carolina's fan accusing him not being patriotic. His favorite skaters are Yuna and Adelina and Mao.:biggrin: He also loves Osmond.

I'm fine with doing Bar Sport when it comes to Football. In fact I can't wait for the WC to start, but I don't like it when it comes to FS. I always support Italy, no matter what in football but I don't think it works the same way in FS. At least I don't feel that way when it comes to FS. Maybe that's because there are not so many good skaters in Italy, and we don't have a tradition and a big school like the russians or the NA.

BusyMom

Medalist
LOL. It's the same in NYC. Although there are times one is tempted to notice them. Like the morning they were filming 30 Rock on my block and Tina Fey was screaming into her walkie-talkie. At 7am. Right outside my window. Believe me, it took a lot of self control NOT to notice her then. :)
:laugh: I was going to mention NYC too. Most of the musicians I worked with love New York.

keasus

On the Ice
Where are you from and How many ppl enjoying FS in your country?

May I just add my thanks to Tompson for starting this thread? :clap: Too often skating threads devolve into rancor and personal attacks. This one is so much fun. I am really impressed by the sheer number of skating fans all over the globe, even countries which have little to no history (or climate) for winter sports. I also love the non-skating related facts we are learning about our posters/fellow skate fans.

I always support Italy, no matter what in football but I don't think it works the same way in FS. At least I don't feel that way when it comes to FS. Maybe that's because there are not so many good skaters in Italy, and we don't have a tradition and a big school like the russians or the NA.

I agree with you about skaters. Certainly in the past few years there haven't been any American skaters I'd have supported over Mao or YuNa for ladies or Daisuke for men. In the Kwan era, I was totally for Michelle, but that was because of the kind of skater she was, not because she was American. The only Americans I am an ardent fan of right now are Davis/White, but I also love Virtue/Moir, so it isn't just patriotism. It did give me a thrill, however, to see an American couple win the ice dancing OGM for the first time ever.

Alba

Record Breaker
I agree with you about skaters. Certainly in the past few years there haven't been any American skaters I'd have supported over Mao or YuNa for ladies or Daisuke for men. In the Kwan era, I was totally for Michelle, but that was because of the kind of skater she was, not because she was American. The only Americans I am an ardent fan of right now are Davis/White, but I also love Virtue/Moir, so it isn't just patriotism.

I loved Michelle Kwan too. My fav. skater of all times.:love:

It did give me a thrill, however, to see an American couple win the ice dancing OGM for the first time ever

That's fine. When your fav. skater win and also happens to be from your own country that's double pleasure. That's not being biased.

Manitou

Medalist
American with a strong Polish accent. Living in the most scenic and figure skating friendly Pacific Northwest.

catchie

On the Ice
Riga, Latvia. You probably don't know where it is. But we got some popularity after the legendary Canada-Latvia hockey game in Sochi and the most popular question in Google after the game was "Where is Latvia?"
No one enjoys figure skating here. (Whoops!)
I'm a massive Virtue/Moir fan, but also enjoy ladies - especially Wagner and Osmond. But I love almost all of them, Wagner and Osmond just are the ones, who stand out for me.
Our only hope in figure skating is the junior Deniss Vasiljevs. I really hope he develops well, because he's such a talent.

TMC

Record Breaker
I started watching football from Euro88 so I was in time for the Laudrup. Too bad none of the Scandinavian teams made to the World Cup this year.

:laugh: You worked for Tesco? I worked in Saintsbury in Eastbourne during my college years. Poor student but good times. Good thing about UK is they left celebrities alone, except the paparazzi of course. I lived in London SW(near Glocester Rd. Station) for a few years. Back then there were quite a lot of famous musicians and actors live in the same area. Some of them even had a casual chat with you.

Not quite, I had a boring office job and just shopped at the same supermarket as the Beckhams and even that quite rarely. I was just out of uni and lived on doner kebabs from the corner shop. And red wine :laugh:

Alba

Record Breaker
Riga, Latvia. You probably don't know where it is. But we got some popularity after the legendary Canada-Latvia hockey game in Sochi and the most popular question in Google after the game was "Where is Latvia?"
No one enjoys figure skating here. (Whoops!)
Our only hope in figure skating is the junior Deniss Vasiljevs. I really hope he develops well, because he's such a talent.

I know where Riga is and it's a beautiful city.:) I do follow hockey as well, so I do know your team.

TheGrandSophy

Record Breaker
Thanks, Sam-Skwantch & Olympia, for the warm welcome to GS! Yes, Olympia, I am a Heyer fan and The Grand Sophy is probably my fave book of hers. :)

Quick query, guys, I am determined to see some live skating this year and see that the GPF is in Barcelona. How hard is it to get tickets to these events usually and where does one keep an eye out for the sale? I want to travel from London to this if at all possible in December. Thanks if you can help!

TMC

Record Breaker
Quick query, guys, I am determined to see some live skating this year and see that the GPF is in Barcelona. How hard is it to get tickets to these events usually and where does one keep an eye out for the sale? I want to travel from London to this if at all possible in December. Thanks if you can help!

I'm also interested in getting tickets, but I'm still in the process of persuading my husband that it would be a good idea to go! I think he might agree because it's Barcelona - always worth a visit!

YesWay

四年もかけて&#
Record Breaker
I'm also interested in getting tickets, but I'm still in the process of persuading my husband that it would be a good idea to go! I think he might agree because it's Barcelona - always worth a visit!
Tickets will be pretty easy to get, figure skating competitions don't sell out fast these days (they don't sell out at all!)...

...unless it's a) in Japan, or b) in Korea and Kim will be there.
And even a) is doubtful if Takahashi and Asada aren't competing any more.

So don't stress :-D No doubt there will be an official site, with a link from the ISU site, and ticket information will be posted there in due course.