I'm just curious. Where are you from? | Page 13 | Golden Skate

I'm just curious. Where are you from?

Manitou

Medalist
Greetings from Poland:yay: Figure skating is not very popular here. Despite the fact that we hosted European Championships in 2007, I must say that average Pole has no idea about this sport. Saying "Figure skating it's not a sport" is very common here. Most polish people love ski jumping because of Adam Małysz, Kamil Stoch and their gold medals. Siudeks who won a few europeans and worlds medals, are hardly known for people not interested in figure skating. Siudeks, Grzegorz Filipowski and Anna Rechnio have never been as famous as football players (who suck anyway) or ski jumpers. The average Pole has no idea about new scoring system, does't know jump's name... Dorota and Mariusz are coaches now and they try very hard to develop figure skating in Poland. Their son loves skating as well
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cIzksdSQqX4&list=UU3maP4fZD54ZF71NjqtSzCQ:laugh:

To me nobody beats Jerzy Mrzygłód....
As to young Grzesio Filipowski: is he still a hopeful of the Polish Figure skating? lol

kasik8222

Rinkside
As far as I remember Grzesio lives in Canada now. I heard he is in relationship with Jozef Sabovcik's former wife;). Poland has figure skating medal hopes once in 15-20 years so we should be grateful to Filipowski anyway;) I don't get why people of Poland still laugh talking about him after all those years;) BTW if you speak polish you can join our polish figure skating forum lyzwyfigurowe.czo.pl

Manitou

Medalist
As far as I remember Grzesio lives in Canada now. I heard he is in relationship with Jozef Sabovcik's former wife;). Poland has figure skating medal hopes once in 15-20 years so we should be grateful to Filipowski anyway;) I don't get why people of Poland still laugh talking about him after all those years;) BTW if you speak polish you can join our polish figure skating forum lyzwyfigurowe.czo.pl

Oh, I have nothing against Grzesio :). He was the first world-wide recognizable Polish figure skater, so we owe him a lot. I was just making fun of the Polish media of that time... :)

BTW if you speak polish you can join our polish figure skating forum lyzwyfigurowe.czo.pl

I don't live in Poland now and I have no idea what is going on in Polish figure skating, so I don't think I have anything to say. But I will come there and browse it. And I am definitely glad of what Zagórska and Siudek are trying to do in Poland to popularize it.

kasik8222

Rinkside
We hardly speak about polish figure skaters because there is nothing to talk about. I love V/T, there are people who love team Japan and two girls who love arguments about D/W and V/M for example :biggrin:

Isabel_O'Reilly

Final Flight
Hailing from Alberta, Canada. Figure Skating seems to be popular in Canada but anyone I run into during an average day has no clue about skating. But they do listen to me ramble on about the latest results.

Manitou

Medalist
We hardly speak about polish figure skaters because there is nothing to talk about. I love V/T, there are people who love team Japan and two girls who love arguments about D/W and V/M for example :biggrin:

lol I understand team Russia is not very popular in Poland given the current political atmosphere, and since I am a great fan of the Russian skating I don't think I am a good fit :). But yes, I will definitely visit it :)

kasik8222

Rinkside
As I said before. I love Tatiana and Maxim, there is a guy who loves Yulia Lipnitskaya and so on. We share passion and love for this sport and it has nothing to do with politics. It's not a place to talk about it.

colourmeblue

Rinkside
Canada! As several posters have noted, hockey is definitely the dominant sport on ice (though it still amuses me that it is not our official sport). Nonetheless, community centres in and around my area have rinks that are open for both sports, and there are a number of free outdoor rinks that are relatively well maintained. :yay:

joannix

Rinkside
Perú all the way!!!! :p It´s a country very well known by the diversity of it´s gastronomy, also because of MAPI (Machu Picchu) though this beautiful sport is not very popular at all thank God there is cable and internet...oh and of course this forum so I´m pretty glad about this "Getting to know" thing :clap:

makaihime

Final Flight
^Lol, my co-workers just left today on a vacation to go hiking tour of machu picchu! I've seen pictures and its just gorgeous~

Brooklyn, New York :yay: FS as a sport isn't very popular among the general public, but we do have several rinks around here and its usually pretty crowded around that time of year so I guess its safe to assume that its well-liked as a pass time activity
:popcorn:

karlowens2

On the Ice
Berlin, Germany

Not much interest in Berlin. I don´t even know where the rinks are. I think people were following S/S in Germany.

Seems like men´s figure skating in US (where I am from) is loosing ground. I noticed in the sectionals there wre far fewer men than women competitors. Anyone else notice?

silverfoxes

Record Breaker
Berlin, Germany

Not much interest in Berlin. I don´t even know where the rinks are. I think people were following S/S in Germany.

Seems like men´s figure skating in US (where I am from) is loosing ground. I noticed in the sectionals there wre far fewer men than women competitors. Anyone else notice?

Peter Liebers is from Berlin, I believe. I am American, but I lived in Berlin from 2001-2009. I remember seeing a rink or two, plus a temporary one during the holidays on Potsdamer Platz. But I didn't really start to follow skating until the 2010 Olympics. I wish I had been interested back then...even though skating isn't that big in Germany, maybe I could have taken advantage of the proximity to some of the better ice shows and the European competitions.

Messalina

Spectator
I don't know that I've even ever posted before, though I've been reading threads for years and years. :) :p

I'm in the U.S., in Colorado, but I hail mainly from the Washington, D.C. area originally (though I was born in Japan and grew up partly in Africa). Colorado Springs is about 2 hours away from me by car, and my mother in Virginia used to live just a few miles away from the Fairfax Ice Arena, home to Michael Weiss. Where I live now, in a tiny mountain town, everyone skis, snowboards, cross-country-skis, telemarks, snowshoes and/or plays hockey outdoors. Rock climbing is also very big here. And of course, this is Denver Broncos (American football) territory. In D.C. when I was growing up, it was all Washington Redskins (also football) all the time. Though basketball was also popular in D.C. and, back then, the Baltimore Orioles were the local baseball team and very beloved.

I started skating myself (as an adult) when I lived in North Carolina. But I spent the first truly active years of my FS fanhood living in Germany, where Eurosport showed event the qual skates live on TV. It wasn't till then, when I could see every last skater skate, that I became a discerning fan−the difference in quality between the 30th and the 1st skater was so amazingly high. I originally learned all the technical skating terms in German and later had to re-learn them in English. I miss watching FS on Eurosport (and sometimes ARD and ZDF). Sometimes I would call in sick to work so I wouldn't miss skating ... I used to live just a tram stop away from the rink where Tanja Szewczenko first started skating.

Welcome, Messalina! Glad you decided to start posting.

You've lived such an interesting life. You'll have a lot more to contribute to the conversation here, I'm sure.

Your comment about calling in sick to watch skating called up such a strong memory for me, of sitting at my desk at the office during earlier Olympics that were held in different time zones. My workmate would come over with reports from her husband. This was in the days before easy Internet access, but Kathleen always seemed to be able to ferret out information before anyone else. And her husband, a football and baseball fan, was so good about sharing her love of skating. If he was between jobs or got home early, he would seek out radio and TV reports and call her up.

trouble77

Rinkside
I don't know that I've even ever posted before, though I've been reading threads for years and years. :) :p

I'm in the U.S., in Colorado, but I hail mainly from the Washington, D.C. area originally (though I was born in Japan and grew up partly in Africa). Colorado Springs is about 2 hours away from me by car, and my mother in Virginia used to live just a few miles away from the Fairfax Ice Arena, home to Michael Weiss. Where I live now, in a tiny mountain town, everyone skis, snowboards, cross-country-skis, telemarks, snowshoes and/or plays hockey outdoors. Rock climbing is also very big here. And of course, this is Denver Broncos (American football) territory. In D.C. when I was growing up, it was all Washington Redskins (also football) all the time. Though basketball was also popular in D.C. and, back then, the Baltimore Orioles were the local baseball team and very beloved.

I started skating myself (as an adult) when I lived in North Carolina. But I spent the first truly active years of my FS fanhood living in Germany, where Eurosport showed event the qual skates live on TV. It wasn't till then, when I could see every last skater skate, that I became a discerning fan−the difference in quality between the 30th and the 1st skater was so amazingly high. I originally learned all the technical skating terms in German and later had to re-learn them in English. I miss watching FS on Eurosport (and sometimes ARD and ZDF). Sometimes I would call in sick to work so I wouldn't miss skating ... I used to live just a tram stop away from the rink where Tanja Szewczenko first started skating.

Hi Messalina! I never felt guilty for calling sick during a big competition.

Amelia

Rinkside
Târgu Jiu, Romania. I cannot say FS is a popular sport here, but our national television and Eurosport broadcast the major events.

Welcome, Amelia!

It's great to see fans from so many different countries. I'm glad you get to see Eurosport broadcasts.