I'm just curious. Where are you from? | Page 2 | Golden Skate

I'm just curious. Where are you from?

islandpaddler

On the Ice
Country
US-Virgin-Islands
St. John, U.S. Virgin Islands. I am probably the only full-time resident with a serious interest in figure skating though I do know of one stateside-based person who has avacation house here who is in the know.

cooper

Medalist
:love: I would love to visit your homeland one day. oh oh mango!!

you should come here.. filipinos are known for their hospitality.. ;)

figure skating is not popular here.. basketball is the number 1 sport.. our national team just qualified last year for the world championship.. boxing is second w/ pacman's success.. hopefully w/ michael's continuing success figure skating will get more coverage here..

Lota

Record Breaker
Kaunas, Lithuania.

Nope, not a very popular sport here, we're basketball nation. I do have to say through, that even with,erm, bad commentators, the coverage of the olympics and figure skating especially was great. From first to last skater in all disciplines, never missing a single one :) Skating was very popular when Drobiazko/Vanagas skated though...

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
Bucharest, Romania

Welcome to posting at Golden Skate, sisy! Post long, post often!

I am from Connecticut, USA. When I was a child, the town had an outdoor rink and lots of dinky little ponds that everyone skated on. Today, the city has decided that the insurance is too great for the rink, and winters are not as cold anyway. There are two local indoor rinks, one connected with a local college, and Foxwoods has an outdoor rink of sorts.

FSGMT

Record Breaker
North-East of Italy :) here the only really famous ice figure skater is "Carolina Kostner" (no-one actually knows who "Mao Asada" or "Yu-Na Kim" are for example ;) ), while roller skating is quite popular

Wow, we have a diverse group in our community. I think it's awesome how many people come from countries where there's not much figure skating at all. And yet you all discovered the beauty of watching skating. Technology does have its advantages, after all.

I'm in the U.S., and I became a skating fan in the 1970s when no one else I knew was interested. Then in the popular years between 1992 and 2006, I had lots of company, but now I'd be almost alone again except for all you friends out there in Thailand, Australia, the Philippines, Finland, Lithuania, and so on. And Connecticut, of course.

Barb

Record Breaker
Mexico :), figure skating is zero popular, not even the winter olympic games are televised, num. 1 is soccer but we are probably the country with least sport culture :bang:

Mexico :), figure skating is zero popular, not even the winter olympic games are televised, num. 1 is soccer but we are probably the country with least sport culture :bang:

If I recall correctly, Mexico is a great distance-running power. Is that still true? I'm sorry you don't get the winter Games televised. I thought we had problems in the U.S., but at least they still make a big fuss about the Winter Olympics on TV. I should count my blessings, even though we had to wait so long to see Worlds on network TV.

Barb

Record Breaker
If I recall correctly, Mexico is a great distance-running power. Is that still true? I'm sorry you don't get the winter Games televised. I thought we had problems in the U.S., but at least they still make a big fuss about the Winter Olympics on TV. I should count my blessings, even though we had to wait so long to see Worlds on network TV.
. :no:

MidnightSkater

On the Ice
England. Born & raised in the US until I was 14 (American father, British Mother) then my parents divorced, so I spent every year 6 months in the US & 6 months in England.
I live in England pretty much full time now.
People here think skating ended when Torvill & Dean retired.
I'm thankful for Eurosport as they have been the main skating channel here.

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
England. Born & raised in the US until I was 14 (American father, British Mother) then my parents divorced, so I spent every year 6 months in the US & 6 months in England.
I live in England pretty much full time now.
People here think skating ended when Torvill & Dean retired.
I'm thankful for Eurosport as they have been the main skating channel here.

Up til this year most Aussies could probably only name Torvill and Dean if asked to name a figure skater. If pressed and if they were paying attention they might also say Cheltzie Lee.

I think more, if pressed, might now say "the dance couple in the bright outfits" (O'Brien/Merriman), but only because Channel Ten's coverage was vastly superior to anything else we've had on FTA TV in the last few Olympic cycles.

MidnightSkater

On the Ice
Up til this year most Aussies could probably only name Torvill and Dean if asked to name a figure skater. If pressed and if they were paying attention they might also say Cheltzie Lee.

I think more, if pressed, might now say "the dance couple in the bright outfits" (O'Brien/Merriman), but only because Channel Ten's coverage was vastly superior to anything else we've had on FTA TV in the last few Olympic cycles.

It's a shame as the Kerr's never really got the credit for what they achieved. Most people here never heard of them even when they won their two European Bronze medals yet when Andy Murray has a cold it's on every sports show.

jennyanydots

On the Ice
U.S.A Midwest. As a kid I didn't even know if my state had any ice rinks or not (there were actually 3, but I think one has closed?) So that's how popular figure skating is there. Everybody lives and breathes football. I'm actually based in Asia now. When people find out that I skate, they kind of look at me like I'm out of my mind. There are actually many rinks in the country but the general public doesn't know a thing about figure skating. The only skater that they might know is Yuna Kim, but that's only because she's pretty and there's sort of a fixation with Korean pop culture here. We do get tours of Disney on Ice and Imperial Ice Stars. It's kind of funny when the audience goes gaga over a basic sit spin.