I'm just curious. Where are you from? | Page 3 | Golden Skate

I'm just curious. Where are you from?

nimi

Medalist
There are actually many rinks in the country but the general public doesn't know a thing about figure skating. The only skater that they might know is Yuna Kim, but that's only because she's pretty and there's sort of a fixation with Korean pop culture here.
Maybe slightly off topic but I was wondering... Korea seems to produce good speed skaters, but are they known to the general populace? Are there in general star athletes in the same sense as in USA, or are the stars mostly actors/singers/etc with a few exceptions (like Yuna with her modelesque looks)?

mikaboo

Medalist
Japan. I had no idea figure skating was popular in my country until this year. (I thought every country had its Mao/Dai :p)

jennyanydots

On the Ice
Maybe slightly off topic but I was wondering... Korea seems to produce good speed skaters, but are they known to the general populace? Are there in general star athletes in the same sense as in USA, or are the stars mostly actors/singers/etc with a few exceptions (like Yuna with her modelesque looks)?

I can recognize a few Korean singers and actors but can't name a single Korean speed skater. I only know that they hate Apolo Anton Ono and that they had a speed skater who now skates for Russia. Don't know how good of an indicator that is though since I don't have any active interest in Korean pop stars.

pointyourtoe

On the Ice
I live in the US

I was only a casual skating fan for most of my life. During my childhood in the 90's skating was everywhere on TV, you couldn't escape it. And skaters were pretty famous..not Beyonce level or anything, but far more than they are today

NQShamrock

Rinkside
Melbourne, Australia.
But I am not Australian, I am just working here. My country belongs to Southeast Asia region, and there is no rink in my country.:cry:
Where are you from? I come from South-east Asia too, Viet Nam. There no ice rink here and figure skating is not popular. Most people don't know anything about it.

cylindrical

Rinkside
I'm from Australia. Figure skating isn't popular here at all, but I've got a few friends who are really into single skating :)

Lydia1703

On the Ice
Where are you from? I come from South-east Asia too, Viet Nam. There no ice rink here and figure skating is not popular. Most people don't know anything about it.

I think Meoima came from Vietnam too. And wait, I'm not sure but there are about 2 indoor ice rinks here (one in Royal City, Hanoi and another in HCMC). During the Olympics there was live broadcast on TV but no figure skating. However, some teenagers became Yuzuru's fangirls after his OGM (because of his look :no:) and imo that "Yuzuru fever" has gone now :p

Meoima

Match Penalty
I think Meoima came from Vietnam too. And wait, I'm not sure but there are about 2 indoor ice rinks here (one in Royal City, Hanoi and another in HCMC). During the Olympics there was live broadcast on TV but no figure skating. However, some teenagers became Yuzuru's fangirls after his OGM (because of his look :no:) and imo that "Yuzuru fever" has gone now :p
No, I am not. :cool: Anyways I have moved to Australia for years now. So I don't know if there is any new rink in my country. The last time I checked, they haven't built one yet. But then, I haven't come back to my country for years. :slink:

desertskates

Medalist
I'm from the desert southwest region of the US. Skating is fairly popular where I live, and a lot of groups of kids go to the rink to escape the summer heat. But like everyone else in the US, I think the television coverage has become horrible in this country. I much prefer to watch it online and chat with the people here.

NQShamrock

Rinkside
I forgot about that. I know for sure there's an ice rink in Hanoi and other one in HCM. But I have no chance to go there. These ice rink are used for entertainment.
Lyndia1703, why do u know about that? I guess you could live in Viet Nam, right?

Naya

On the Ice
Sao Paulo, Brazil. Football (soccer) dominates here, but I could watch the last two winter olympics thanks to cable tv.

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
Toronto, Canada.

Home of Nam Nguyen, training site of Javier Fernandez and Yuzuru Hanyu, and crack-smoking locale of Rob Ford. :p

Great to see such diversity on here! :agree:

Winnie_20

Record Breaker
The Netherlands, after Sochi 2014 also known as the home of speed skating.

*Figure* skating, on the other hand... well, how many Dutch figure skaters did you see in the big competitions this year, like the GPs, Olympics and Worlds?

Exactly. :scowl:

NYscorp6

On the Ice
Country
United-States
United States here, lived most of my life in NYC now living on Long Island.
Lets Go Mets!