“I solemnly swear I’m up to no good”
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Argentina is near the top of my bucket list of places to visit!!:love:

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
Ahh! What part of Indiana? :) And as you said, basketball is a big deal! (Though, I probably should've been born in another country or at least another part of our's because I'm an all winter sports and soccer fan.) So, are you a fan of the: Hoosiers, Boilermakers, or KY Wildcats? (Or someone totally different, haha.)

I grew up in southern Indiana. That's why I'm so curious! :) When I was young, skating wasn't really very popular......But now, hockey is becoming more popular in my hometown. Currently, I am in Kentucky...soooooo no skating for me or any skating shows either. :cry:

And now I'm curious about where in Kentucky you're from since I spent several years there (first Louisville, then in Bowling Green for university).

I'm a LOUISVILLE fan. Go Cardinals!. :biggrin:

But hey there's the Louisville Skating Academy! http://www.skatelouisville.org/

I believe there are some up and coming pairs from there!

Last edited:

TheGrandSophy

Record Breaker
London, UK. And finding my way around these new worlds... following figure skating and Golden Skate. ;-)

And now I'm curious about where in Kentucky you're from since I spent several years there (first Louisville, then in Bowling Green for university).

I'm a LOUISVILLE fan. Go Cardinals!. :biggrin:

But hey there's the Louisville Skating Academy! http://www.skatelouisville.org/

I believe there are some up and coming pairs from there!

:biggrin: Hey Mrs. P!!! Haha, fair enough! I go through Louisville all the time. I am currently in graduate school, so I am in the Lexington/Richmond, KY area (or since they're big on counties - Madison/Fayette). However, when I'm at home in Indiana, I am close to the Henderson, KY area (city and county are the same).

Personally, I'm a Boilermaker fan. It's where I completed my undergraduate degree - so I'm more of a Boilermaker fan because of very nice memories and experiences vs. being a huge basketball/football fan. Although, we did have an Olympic diver in the last summer Olympics! Boiler Up! :yay: And Indiana had a Olympic medalist snowboarder this past Olympics (so random, haha).

And yes!!! I've heard of the Louisville Skating Academy. I believe they have one junior pair in particular that is turning out to have promise. And some others that are a bit young to tell as of yet, imo. :) It'd be cool if we had some up-and-coming successes from this area of the country because sports become more popular when the hometown and nearby cities have someone close by to root for.

lefeury

Rinkside
Virginia, USA. I also had no idea how diverse these boards are. I roller skated as a kid and studied dance. I got my bronze and Silver bars. We didn't have great Pro teachers. I loved it though. I started watching figure skating because of the similarity and because it was the only skating on tv. I had to learn about the seasons, Grand Prix, etc on my own. No one I know is a fan, however when skating was aired on tv more folks at least had favorites and knew who the skaters were. I honestly think more tv coverage would draw in fans quickly. But in the US IMO guy sports are more important. Football, basketball, Nascar etc.

lefeury

Rinkside
I also wanted to note that I am a huge PBR bullriding fan and there are a lot of Brazilians dominating the sport.

But in the US IMO guy sports are more important. Football, basketball, Nascar etc.

Sadly, I think this is spot on. Traditionally male sports tend to be more successful - for whatever reason. I know this last Olympic cycle that I knew people who got interested after all of the commercials and hype for ice dance that were aired. I wish there would be a rejuvenation for the sport in this country. I feel like gymnastics and FS are like every four years sports. People enjoy them when they're aired for the Olympics, but the rest of the time not to much.

Welcome, btw!

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
:biggrin: Hey Mrs. P!!! Haha, fair enough! I go through Louisville all the time. I am currently in graduate school, so I am in the Lexington/Richmond, KY area (or since they're big on counties - Madison/Fayette). However, when I'm at home in Indiana, I am close to the Henderson, KY area (city and county are the same).

Personally, I'm a Boilermaker fan. It's where I completed my undergraduate degree - so I'm more of a Boilermaker fan because of very nice memories and experiences vs. being a huge basketball/football fan. Although, we did have an Olympic diver in the last summer Olympics! Boiler Up! :yay: And Indiana had a Olympic medalist snowboarder this past Olympics (so random, haha).

And yes!!! I've heard of the Louisville Skating Academy. I believe they have one junior pair in particular that is turning out to have promise. And some others that are a bit young to tell as of yet, imo. :) It'd be cool if we had some up-and-coming successes from this area of the country because sports become more popular when the hometown and nearby cities have someone close by to root for.

Hm...so you must go to EKU, since you made a point of mentioning Richmond. I went there once for a conference. I know Lexington quite a bit better since I visited there a few times. But I can never be a UK fan. :p

Purdue, eh! I have a friend who lives in the area. West Lafyette was often a stopping point on my many road trips to Chicago, but somehow I never made a visit to campus. :(

Bonnie F

On the Ice
North Carolina, USA.
Unfortunately figure skating is not very popular here, very few rinks...

Hm...so you must go to EKU, since you made a point of mentioning Richmond. I went there once for a conference. I know Lexington quite a bit better since I visited there a few times. But I can never be a UK fan. :p

Purdue, eh! I have a friend who lives in the area. West Lafyette was often a stopping point on my many road trips to Chicago, but somehow I never made a visit to campus. :(

Haha, well, actually with externships, living, etc. I am between the two places. I hear that in the past few years Richmond has gone from having next to nothing to quite a few restaurants and some shopping. Parts of Richmond and Lexington are beautiful!!! :) But, horses are the biggest thing down here...Soooooooo many horse farms (as I've dubbed them, lol).
It was fun around here when UK made it to the finals this year. UK fans are something very different - breed of their own, I suppose. Haha, but I couldn't really care less.

Aww, that's a shame! :( Purdue has a beautiful campus if you hit each season right. :) I absolutely loved it there!! And I made my fair share of trips from Purdue to Chicago with friends, so I know what you mean.

sunnystars

#teamotherskaters
Record Breaker
Mani-snow-ba, Canada

yeahp, there's still snow here in my province :cry:
Well anyway, skating in general is pretty popular here since we do try to get the world's longest skating trail every winter. However, I'm not sure about the popularity of figure skating though, since the majority of people talks about hockey (esp. the Winnipeg Jets).

Mani-snow-ba, Canada

yeahp, there's still snow here in my province :cry:
Well anyway, skating in general is pretty popular here since we do try to get the world's longest skating trail every winter. However, I'm not sure about the popularity of figure skating though, since the majority of people talks about hockey (esp. the Winnipeg Jets).

Hello Sunny! :) The skating trail concept seems neat! What's it like? Is it an event?
Also, don't feel bad about the snow... :( We went from 87 degrees here a couple of days ago to 34 degrees and snowing....grrr....I don't live where it should still be snowy in April, lol. Crazy weather!

GF2445

Record Breaker
Sydney, Australia.

Got caught on the skating fan trail after Tessa and Scott's Mahler Free Dance. Not even the evils of IJS deterred me.
Speaking about the weather, it's sort of four seasons in a day here.

mganders

Rinkside
USA. Growing up in Minnesota, I played crack-the-whip on outdoor rinks and spent la lot of time in warming houses. Figure skating is more popular there than in Western New York, where I now live.

I love this thread. So many countries represented.

sunnystars

#teamotherskaters
Record Breaker
Hello Sunny! :) The skating trail concept seems neat! What's it like? Is it an event?
Also, don't feel bad about the snow... :( We went from 87 degrees here a couple of days ago to 34 degrees and snowing....grrr....I don't live where it should still be snowy in April, lol. Crazy weather!

Hi Snowflake! The trail, of course, is long but it's along the river that's part of the downtown area of Winnipeg. It's pretty cool though since you get to skate on top of the river and you can access areas that you can't really go to. Here's some info about it for this year:

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/manitoba/winnipeg-s-river-skating-walking-trails-open-friday-1.2490407

Although the trail is made in January, it's one of the main highlights of the Festival du Voyageur in February. The festival is basically about winter-y ice fun, and about the wee baby days of Manitoba. Btw, that happened here too! It was all warm and sunny last week but then it snowed again 2 days ago. And crazy weather indeed!