I'm just curious. Where are you from? | Page 6 | Golden Skate

I'm just curious. Where are you from?

Amei

Record Breaker
Well this thread is really interesting :thumbsup:

I'm from Southeast Texas, where American football can be considered a second (or even first) religion for most people - Youtube Friday Night Lights (starring Billy Bob Thornton and Lucas Black) it gives pretty good image of american football in Texas, especially small towns. Figure skating is not popular, I got into watching figure skating because my mother was a skater and we watched it growing up. Ice skating in general is not very popular because the little town where I grew up only had an outdoor rink around Christmas time, and in Southeast Texas it does not get below 50 degrees Fahrenheit (10 Celsius) very often, so if you fell at this outdoor rink you looked like you wet yourself.

MiRé

Match Penalty
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania! Instead of figure skating we have Pittsburgh Steelers and Penguins.

Icey

Record Breaker
United States of America; South Carolina

I guess I would have to say skating is not popular at all where I live, which means when I am able to watch competitions, I usually have to do it alone. How nice it would be to find people who, in person, could share my passion. Thank god, forums like this help ameliorate that sad situation a lot.

charmblade

Final Flight
I'm from Tennessee, in the United States, where I lived until last summer when I moved to Boston (just in time for Nationals, it was super awesome!). Figure skating is definitely not a big thing in the southern US but is obviously much more popular in Boston.

Hi Snowflake! The trail, of course, is long but it's along the river that's part of the downtown area of Winnipeg. It's pretty cool though since you get to skate on top of the river and you can access areas that you can't really go to. Here's some info about it for this year:

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/manitoba/winnipeg-s-river-skating-walking-trails-open-friday-1.2490407

Although the trail is made in January, it's one of the main highlights of the Festival du Voyageur in February. The festival is basically about winter-y ice fun, and about the wee baby days of Manitoba. Btw, that happened here too! It was all warm and sunny last week but then it snowed again 2 days ago. And crazy weather indeed!

That is soooooo cool!!!! :) I've never seen anything like that. So do individuals have to pay to skate along the river? And what months is it usually open for skating?
And the part about the restaurants - that's so neat! Very unique.

Ohio, USA

OLYMPIA, did you ever post on the MKF?

No, I never did. I content myself with being a Michelle bot over here on GS. We need the population!

TheGrandSophy, welcome to GoldenSkate! I deduce that you are a fan of Georgette Heyer? Your screen name is my favorite of her books.

And LuisRollerArg, Argentina is a place I want to see also, including Patagonia. I've had two friends who have visited Patagonia, both the Argentinian and the Chilean districts, and both friends (with spouses) just loved it.

lbc2138

On the Ice
The Big Apple, my favorite city in the world, Nu Yawk Nu Yawk!

Originally from California but finishing school in NYC!

I just talk about figure skating to my friends. Well talk at them and they listen and nod and watch whatever videos I point out haha. But I haven't found anyone to actively talk about it yet.

PlaysInTheDirt

On the Ice
Me too, PlaysInTheDirt! I currently live about 10 minutes away from the 2014 Skate America venue

Yay - a neighbor!! I'm currently in one of the "Groves" in Lake County, but will be moving this year to someplace further south in Cook County. It's really hard to find a place that doesn't flood and doesn't have the noise problem of the airport. I had no idea until I started researching this. So, w4300, we may be even closer neighbors in the near future....lol. :)

yelyoh

Medalist
Country
United-States
New York City born in Brooklyn reared in Manhattan with a few years in southern California. Have also lived in Japan (Hiroshima Ken) and Barcelona Spain. In NYC there are several rinks. People ice skate but few figure skate. I am the only fan I know though a few friends watched the Olympics. I am tuning out on FSing for awhile (the judging is nuts). I am a huge tennis fan (go Rafa and Serena) and into track and field. Baseball too to some extent. METS yeah but they stink like a sewer.

lbc2138

On the Ice
I feel like there should be meetups in the respective towns wherever it may be haha.

Alba

Record Breaker
In Italy FS is not popular, but it became more known in 2006 during Olympics in Torino and thanks to Kostner.
Here you have football (soccer for NA) as No.1 sport. After that Formula 1, MotoGP, Cycling, Tennis, Basket, Rugby.
However, FS does have a very good tv coverage. Rai Sport (Public Television) cover WC, Euro and GP. Eurosport WC and Euro, Sky Sport Olympics.

sunnystars

#teamotherskaters
Record Breaker
That is soooooo cool!!!! :) I've never seen anything like that. So do individuals have to pay to skate along the river? And what months is it usually open for skating?
And the part about the restaurants - that's so neat! Very unique.

It's all free :) All you need to do is bring your own skates...or rent one! Also, the trail is open in the early January till late February since that when it's coldest here. (seriously, we got colder temperatures than Mars) Anywhooo, the restaurants were pretty cool-or should I say warm. They were a good break from the cold!

It's all free :) All you need to do is bring your own skates...or rent one! Also, the trail is open in the early January till late February since that when it's coldest here. (seriously, we got colder temperatures than Mars) Anywhooo, the restaurants were pretty cool-or should I say warm. They were a good break from the cold!

That is so neat!!! I'm super jealous. That sounds like a really neat experience...and I'm shocked it doesn't cost anything. Anymore it seems like everything costs something.
Anyways, thanks for the info!! I'd never heard of anything like that, but it's neat! And January-February: not too long, but a nice run! :)

Maria Victoria

Record Breaker
Born and raised in Manila, Philippines and currently living in Korea where I got to experience winter sports for the first time. In the Philippines the closest I got to skating was rollerblading around the big globe in Luneta Park when I was a child (wasn't very good though ;)).

Basketball and boxing are the big sports in the Philippines, but figure skating is gaining a following thanks to Michael Christian Martinez and Yuzuru's Olympic performance.

I'm glad to exchange views, share information, and learn insights, even from those whose points of view I disagree with, in this forum.

OrdinaryDreamer

Rinkside
Columbus, Ohio in the USA :) Skating is a popular recreation form around the middle school years, but other than that, hockey and football are the big sports here because we're home to OSU and the Columbus Blue Jackets. There are four main public ice rinks in central Ohio.

sunnystars

#teamotherskaters
Record Breaker
That is so neat!!! I'm super jealous. That sounds like a really neat experience...and I'm shocked it doesn't cost anything. Anymore it seems like everything costs something.
Anyways, thanks for the info!! I'd never heard of anything like that, but it's neat! And January-February: not too long, but a nice run! :)

Well I'm sure that it does cost something. But hey, we got the snow (like for realz, we got more this season) and the right temperature, so why not? It also doesn't hurt getting the trail into the Guiness Records! And as you said, it is pretty neat. And hey, don't be jealous! It just takes some time and effort to make your cold/winter season extra special. It's my first time and it was actually fun :biggrin:

edenlover

On the Ice
Columbus, Ohio in the USA :) Skating is a popular recreation form around the middle school years, but other than that, hockey and football are the big sports here because we're home to OSU and the Columbus Blue Jackets. There are four main public ice rinks in central Ohio.

Hey Ordinary Dreamer. I'm just 50 miles south of you in Chillicothe. Am a Buckeye fan too, and proud of it!