I'm just curious. Where are you from? | Page 9 | Golden Skate

I'm just curious. Where are you from?

One fascinating aspect of our diversity that no one has commented on is how many people seem to speak, read, and write English as a second language. So impressive to find so many people who can communicate effectively in another language! I could never express myself half as well in my second language, which is French (from high school and college but rusty since then). My hat's off to all of you.

And thanks to the founder(s) of this site, who has given us all a place to meet and share the fun of skating (or alternatively of swearing at the judging and results, which is a sport in itself).

roxella

On the Ice
One fascinating aspect of our diversity that no one has commented on is how many people seem to speak, read, and write English as a second language. So impressive to find so many people who can communicate effectively in another language! I could never express myself half as well in my second language, which is French (from high school and college but rusty since then). My hat's off to all of you.

And thanks to the founder(s) of this site, who has given us all a place to meet and share the fun of skating (or alternatively of swearing at the judging and results, which is a sport in itself).

:agree: It's so nice to see people from all over the world being brought together by this AMAZING sport...Actually,I think it's more like art,rather than sport...Art on ice!

keasus

On the Ice
Another Philly/South Jersey girl. And iluvtodd, too!

Self-appointed honorary citizen of Copenhagen, Denmark, who lives and dies by how well the Danish national football team does.

BRASILwmr

Rinkside
Brazil
We have no tradition in any winter sport. o.0 :cry:
But we can send Isadora Williams for the Olympics. :love: Even though Isadora has stayed in last place, this popularized the sport here. But I wonder if there skaters here in Brazil.

chezzu

On the Ice
I'm from Manila, Philippines. Long-time lurker ever since the Vancouver Olympics, which is what really got me into the technicalities of figure skating (er you can say I'm obsessed), but I've been a fan of Sasha Cohen and Michelle Kwan ever since I was a kid (I'm 20 now).

I've never set foot on an ice rink in my life because of the scarcity of rinks in the Philippines. I guess that's due to the fact that there's no snow here, which kills any any interest winter sports because, well, we don't have winter (it's currently summer here, two days ago it reached 34 degrees celsius, argh). Recently though figure skating has been gaining a LOT of popularity because of MCM. I do hope to try ice skating sometime soon, since a rink opened near my place so that's pretty neat :D

Panpie

On the Ice
Ahh! What part of Indiana? :) And as you said, basketball is a big deal! (Though, I probably should've been born in another country or at least another part of our's because I'm an all winter sports and soccer fan.) So, are you a fan of the: Hoosiers, Boilermakers, or KY Wildcats? (Or someone totally different, haha.)

I grew up in southern Indiana. That's why I'm so curious! :) When I was young, skating wasn't really very popular......But now, hockey is becoming more popular in my hometown. Currently, I am in Kentucky...soooooo no skating for me or any skating shows either. :cry:

I'm from eastern Indiana. We get "local" TV and radio from Dayton, Indianapolis, and Cincinnati. IU fan all the way, but honestly, I don't closely follow college sports much anymore. I mostly follow men's tennis—another sport that is not very popular in Indiana—and figure skating. :)

I hear you about the skating shows. It seems that they are much more popular on the coasts and in the upper Midwest. The last couple of years that COI was still touring in the United States, they cancelled several shows in the Midwest. I remember checking out the Indianapolis shows, and the tickets were pretty high, plus gas, hotel, meals, etc. I told my mom we should probably forget about it. Well, they cancelled the show anyway. :(

I love Bloomington and Nashville. Are you from that area, or further south?

NYscorp6

On the Ice
Country
United-States

I agree completely. My 2nd language is Italian, while I understand and can speak it well enough, I don't believe I would be able to express myself in writing nearly as well as so many others on this forum. It is impressive!

Panpie

On the Ice
Mani-snow-ba, Canada

yeahp, there's still snow here in my province :cry:
Well anyway, skating in general is pretty popular here since we do try to get the world's longest skating trail every winter. However, I'm not sure about the popularity of figure skating though, since the majority of people talks about hockey (esp. the Winnipeg Jets).

I'm sure it is not comparable to what you have, but it snowed Monday night here in Indiana. It had been in the 70s on Sunday.

TMC

Record Breaker
Another Philly/South Jersey girl. And iluvtodd, too!

Self-appointed honorary citizen of Copenhagen, Denmark, who lives and dies by how well the Danish national football team does.

Ahhhh I will never forget the 1992 European Championships!!! We happened to be on holiday in Denmark on the day of the final and I watched it in our hotel room, cheering like crazy! That's when I became a soccer fan :love:

(For those who don't know, Denmark didn't even qualify for the championships that year but since Yugoslavia was eventually excluded they got to go as "1st alternates". They went on to win the whole tournament in spectacular fashion. It was their 1st ever international trophy as well!)

BusyMom

Medalist
Ahhhh I will never forget the 1992 European Championships!!! We happened to be on holiday in Denmark on the day of the final and I watched it in our hotel room, cheering like crazy! That's when I became a soccer fan :love:

(For those who don't know, Denmark didn't even qualify for the championships that year but since Yugoslavia was eventually excluded they got to go as "1st alternates". They went on to win the whole tournament in spectacular fashion. It was their 1st ever international trophy as well!)
Peter Schmeichel played a big part of this fairy tale. He is huge no one hardly get the ball past him. He was also the big part in Man. United dominant too.

TMC

Record Breaker
Peter Schmeichel played a big part of this fairy tale. He is huge no one hardly get the ball past him. He was also the big part in Man. United dominant too.

Love, love, love him! I was fortunate enough to live in Manchester during his stint with Man City & partly because of him I became a huge City fan. I think he had a major role in turning City into a big player as well, although he was with them only for a season if I remember correctly. I never got the chance to see them live though, more's the pity. The whole United team, on the other hand, jogged past me when I was walking to work in the morning on a couple of occasions, led by Beckham...and him and Victoria used to shop at my local Tesco with their kids :biggrin:

WeakAnkles

Record Breaker
what I like the most is that in FS you usually support skaters from all over the World and not just your country :)

Talent is talent. I think a HUGE amount of controversy would be eliminated if skaters competed with no national affiliation at all. Same with the judges.

keasus

On the Ice
Love, love, love him! I was fortunate enough to live in Manchester during his stint with Man City & partly because of him I became a huge City fan. I think he had a major role in turning City into a big player as well, although he was with them only for a season if I remember correctly. I never got the chance to see them live though, more's the pity. The whole United team, on the other hand, jogged past me when I was walking to work in the morning on a couple of occasions, led by Beckham...and him and Victoria used to shop at my local Tesco with their kids :biggrin:

Hi TMC and BusyMom. I am so happy to find fellow Danish footballer fans (on a skating forum no less). I am a big fan of the Laudrup brothers, Michael and Brian, although Michael did not play in their Cinderella Euro 1992 performance. And I love the visual of Victoria Beckham pushing a shopping cart at Tesco (probably while wearing 5-inch high heels because, doesn't everyone? :biggrin:).

TMC

Record Breaker
Hi TMC and BusyMom. I am so happy to find fellow Danish footballer fans (on a skating forum no less). I am a big fan of the Laudrup brothers, Michael and Brian, although Michael did not play in their Cinderella Euro 1992 performance. And I love the visual of Victoria Beckham pushing a shopping cart at Tesco (probably while wearing 5-inch high heels because, doesn't everyone? :biggrin:).

She totally did wear her massive heels and they had a cart with one of the kids in it :laugh: I was very impressed that they could do that - absolutely nobody bothered them and they looked like a completely average family there, bagging their little apples and bananas and squeezing melons and whatnot. Nobody spoke to them or asked for autographs or took pictures.

BusyMom

Medalist
I started watching football from Euro88 so I was in time for the Laudrup. Too bad none of the Scandinavian teams made to the World Cup this year.

She totally did wear her massive heels and they had a cart with one of the kids in it :laugh: I was very impressed that they could do that - absolutely nobody bothered them and they looked like a completely average family there, bagging their little apples and bananas and squeezing melons and whatnot. Nobody spoke to them or asked for autographs or took pictures.
:laugh: You worked for Tesco? I worked in Saintsbury in Eastbourne during my college years. Poor student but good times. Good thing about UK is they left celebrities alone, except the paparazzi of course. I lived in London SW(near Glocester Rd. Station) for a few years. Back then there were quite a lot of famous musicians and actors live in the same area. Some of them even had a casual chat with you.