Elena Ilinykh & Ruslan Zhiganshin | Page 10 | Golden Skate

Elena Ilinykh & Ruslan Zhiganshin

uhh

Medalist
That's true, but what I mean for "new" is referred to the choreo and music version used.
V&M program for example was completely new Carmen, and very "modern". That's why I said that even that has been done by V&M, but we'll see. Maybe this SD will be great as well. If Najarro thinks that's good than I trust him. ;)

I suppose it will be a bit "new" by your definition, because I can't think of anyone before who has done Carmen while having to use the set rhythms of the paso doble & flamenco - they've had touches of flamenco style, but this will have to have a much more disciplined sense of the dance. Hopefully Antonio will have come up with something unique!

Alba

Record Breaker
I suppose it will be a bit "new" by your definition, because I can't think of anyone before who has done Carmen while having to use the set rhythms of the paso doble & flamenco - they've had touches of flamenco style, but this will have to have a much more disciplined sense of the dance. Hopefully Antonio will have come up with something unique!

Yeah, that's what I'm thinking and hoping. :)

Sandpiper

Record Breaker
Y'know, I've always been fond of Carmen and I'm totally okay with them doing it. Yes, it's overused as skating music. But that--imo--is because it is a piece very suitable for skating. Whereas something like William Tell Overture is used less in skating, but I kinda cringe when someone uses it because they always look two beats behind the music (not to mention, it's overused in life, while Carmen at least stays in skating :laugh:)

I only wish for the dance to be good (like V/M's was). There are Carmens I disliked (*cough*Lysacek*cough*) but that was due to the wrong person skating to the wrong choreography rather than the music itself.

I only wish for the dance to be good (like V/M's was). There are Carmens I disliked (*cough*Lysacek*cough*) but that was due to the wrong person skating to the wrong choreography rather than the music itself.

LOL, So true!!! And I somehow think that Antonio will have came up with a great piece for them. Plus, it sounds like he really liked working with them, so I imagine they gave him a lot to work with. :)

surimi

Congrats to Sota, #10 in World Standings!
Record Breaker
Not what I was hoping to hear at all. Carmen is done each season, and V/M and C/L set the bar very high. I hope they just pick some less known parts and don't tweak too much the way Sotnikova did the last season. I don't doubt the suitability of Elena's looks, and their ability to skate in a way that catches your eye. But I'm sick to death of hearing the key Carmen themes over and over again, and am thinking I/Z would need to be extra original to make their dance stand out among others, possibly more original tunes. I hope they convince me that at least my fear is unfounded.

Not what I was hoping to hear at all. Carmen is done each season, and V/M and C/L set the bar very high. I hope they just pick some less known parts and don't tweak too much the way Sotnikova did the last season. I don't doubt the suitability of Elena's looks, and their ability to skate in a way that catches your eye. But I'm sick to death of hearing the key Carmen themes over and over again, and am thinking I/Z would need to be extra original to make their dance stand out among others, possibly more original tunes. I hope they convince me that at least my fear is unfounded.

I totally understand where you're coming from, but I don't think that using a more "original" song makes or breaks a performance or necessarily causes someone to stand out in a positive way. Just bc us FS fans say we'd like to hear different pieces of music, somehow tried and true pieces seem to come out on top over and over again. So, I think as long as they have their own performance of "Carmen," they'll be fine in that regard.

Tbh, I'm just a little surprised that they're doing "Carmen" bc at this point doing a classic FS piece has to be done very well and with originality (as you and others have mentioned). I hope and am getting the feeling they must be clicking quite well. I just feel like it's not the type of piece you do (especially in their position) unless you can do it in a way that is going to get people interested in you.

Alba

Record Breaker
But I'm sick to death of hearing the key Carmen themes over and over again, and am thinking I/Z would need to be extra original to make their dance stand out among others, possibly more original tunes. I hope they convince me that at least my fear is unfounded.

I agree but they also have to choose paso doble tunes....:think:

kauh888

Rinkside
I see where you're coming from and I agree, but in that interview Kustarova said that Elena suggested Carmen herself. I think it's important for the skaters to really love the characters and music of their pieces because a) they're going to be skating to it all season, and b) if they really love it, then it will be inspired each time they skate it.

The good thing about the Carmen music though is that it quite readily facilitates getting into that flirtatious character because the music is so Latin, fierce, and seductive. It will help with capturing the feel of the paso doble/Latin flavor I think.

MK's Winter

Record Breaker
I see where you're coming from and I agree, but in that interview Kustraova said that Elena suggested Carmen herself. I think it's important for the skaters to really love the characters and music of their pieces because a) they're going to be skating to it all season, and b) if they really love it, then it will be inspired each time they skate it. The good thing about the Carmen music though is that it quite readily facilitates getting into that flirtatious character because the music is so Latin, fierce, and seductive. It will help with capturing the feel of the paso doble/Latin flavor I think.

I agree with you all. If anyone can sell Carmen it's definitely Elena. I am actually excited to see this and I normally have an eye roll for anyone who uses Carmen.

I agree with you all. If anyone can sell Carmen it's definitely Elena. I am actually excited to see this and I normally have an eye roll for anyone who uses Carmen.

And....I'm going to be honest since we're all raving on Elena (and I agree)....I think that Ruslan has it in him to play the seduced. I feel like this may be really fun

kauh888

Rinkside
And....I'm going to be honest since we're all raving on Elena (and I agree)....I think that Ruslan has it in him to play the seduced. I feel like this may be really fun
I agree. I always felt that Ruslan was always quite expressive and good at playing his characters. :)

I agree. I always felt that Ruslan was always quite expressive and good at playing his characters. :)

Same!! And i've went back and watched some of he and Vik's programs (bc i admittedly didn't pay a super amount of attention to them pre this split and switch up)....and he was good at being expressive! I can imagine that he may even be better with a partner who is good in that area as well.

MK's Winter

Record Breaker
Same!! And i've went back and watched some of he and Vik's programs (bc i admittedly didn't pay a super amount of attention to them pre this split and switch up)....and he was good at being expressive! I can imagine that he may even be better with a partner who is good in that area as well.

I think it's funny, I'm normally pretty blah over a Carmen piece but I am really excited for this. Not only because I am excited for the I/Z pairing but I really feel these two can sell it. Elena has shown she can do big over used music larger than life. Expressively she has match in Ruslan. I hope they come together technically as well. They seem to be putting a lot of work into this as a team.

I think it's funny, I'm normally pretty blah over a Carmen piece but I am really excited for this. Not only because I am excited for the I/Z pairing but I really feel these two can sell it. Elena has shown she can do big over used music larger than life. Expressively she has match in Ruslan. I hope they come together technically as well. They seem to be putting a lot of work into this as a team.

I agree on all counts!!! :yes:

kauh888

Rinkside
I totally understand where you're coming from, but I don't think that using a more "original" song makes or breaks a performance or necessarily causes someone to stand out in a positive way. Just bc us FS fans say we'd like to hear different pieces of music, somehow tried and true pieces seem to come out on top over and over again. So, I think as long as they have their own performance of "Carmen," they'll be fine in that regard.
This is so true, imo. There has to be something about those pieces like Carmen for them to get used over and over again after all. And we all saw how using Scheherazade, another pretty overused piece, worked for Davis/White. ;) haha