testing attire | Golden Skate

testing attire

joy

Spectator
Hi everyone. I'm 22 and just started skating about a year and a half ago (on and off) I had ballet training when I was younger, and still love different kinds of dance. Now I'm in love with dancing and skating! I just don't have enought time to do either!but I'm testing for the first time in May (pre-preliminary) and I'm slightly nervous, and was wondering if anyone had any advice for the test. I know what the required elements are of course, but what is the overall atmosphere like? etc.... Also, what would be considered appropriate attire for the test? Any help would be much appreciated!! Thanks a lot!

dlkksk8fan

Medalist
Hi Joy and welcome to GS:)
This last Friday at my rink was testing day and I noticed a lot of the girls had on skate costumes that weren't overly done. Very nice and simple with some sparkle. One girl testing for dance had on a simple black leotard and a ballet skirt.
I think the best thing to wear is what makes you feel your best. Also the best advice for the test should come from your coach. Good luck and let us know how you do.

joy

Spectator
Thanks so much dlkksk8fan!
So I'm guessing no pants, right? hehe
I'll definitely let you all know how my test goes! I hope I won't be too nervous!

backspin

On the Ice
Hi Joy,

Welcome to our great sport!

Testing attire, in most coach's opinions, should match the level of the skater. I.E., we don't want basic level skaters out there in a custom dress encrusted with crystals. In other words, you don't want to be outdone by your dress! :p

For moves tests and lower level freestyle/dance tests, a simple black dress is perfectly appropriate. Or any basic, nicely fitting dress. You are correct, ladies must wear a skirt (no pants allowed).

As you get into higher levels of freestyle or dance, you will see that the dresses start to reflect the character of the program or dance. For dancers, (this is my opinion) this starts happening around the pre-silver or silver level. I'm not as familiar with freestyle, but your coach will know. A good rule of thumb is to always get your coach's approval for testing attire. I once had a coach who did not allow sleeveless dresses for testing, so it's a good idea to check before you buy, just to be sure there isn't something like that going on too.

Good luck to you !

joy

Spectator
Wow! Thanks for all the great advice everyone! And I'll definitely ask my coach before I decide on anything. Oops I forgot about the polishing my boots part=P But it should be fine if I wear over-the-boot tights, right? I presume I'm allowed to wear them, right?

sk8tngcanuck

On the Ice
Hi there,

I know when my daughter shows up for test day, she is expected to dress as she would for competition. She wears her competition dress, has "competition hair" (minus the glitter hairspray - $8.00 per bottle - ouch) and she wears her good competition tights (no holes) and her boots are polished and look like new. Because you say you are testing pre prelim I will assume you are Canadian as I believe the terminology is different in the US. My daughter just tested her pre Prelim elements and Freeskate as well as her Junior Bronze dances ( yahoo - she passed them all !). She wore on of her competition dresses, as did all of the other skaters that were there on test day.

Canuck

SK8GR8

Rinkside
It's called pre-preliminary here in the US as well.

Definitely wear a well-fitting skating dress and take off your warmup sweater/jacket as sometimes the judges like to look at your body line. Over the boot tights are fine as long as they're in good shape (no holes). You can wear gloves if you are cold as long as they are in good shape too. Don't forget to smile and introduce yourself to the judge (there will probably be only 1 judge at the pre-pre level, but there may be other judges in the hockey box, including trial judges). Always make sure the judge is looking at you before you begin a move. It feels kind of weird to be out on the ice all by yourself when it's so quiet, but think of it as an opportunity to not have to watch out for other skaters!

Summerkid

Rinkside
A small detail--try to wear a normal length skirt. As adults, we often like a little more coverage on the skirt length. However, the judges will want to be able to see your legs.

RoaringMice

On the Ice
It really depends on the club - check with your coach about what you should wear. I also recommend wearing that exact outfit in your lessons a couple of times prior to the test day, and running through the test from start to finish as if it were your real test day. That way, you can make sure that your outfit works - nothing catches, nothing rides up, nothing falls off, etc.

As an adult, if you have any specific body challenges, like I do - a big belly, big hips, big b**bs, or, when I tested, being quite pregnant, than the judges often give you latitude in your dress. Ask your coach about any specific challenges you have. Otherwise, a simple leotard and black dance skirt, skating tights, and clean boots are just fine for an adult test. You can have a nice sweater or jacket for the warm up, and nice gloves. Keep your hair neet.

No need to spend a lot of $$$ on a skating dress if you don't want to.