What is so great about... | Page 2 | Golden Skate

What is so great about...

BronzeisGolden

Medalist
Don't hurt me, Thvudragon, but I was one of those that found ice dancing horribly "boring".....before this year! Before, I was just never very interested when I watched (though I tried to be). I was quite surprised to find myself completely into the ice dancing phase of this year's Worlds. I hadn't seen any of the top couples except for B&A, but I must say that I thought N&K and D&S were spectacular. N&K didn't really deserve 9 6.0s from what I could see, but they do have a quality to their presentation that is very enticing. They are exciting to watch. They have energy and expression.

thvudragon

On the Ice
BronzeisGolden said:
Don't hurt me, Thvudragon, but I was one of those that found ice dancing horribly "boring".....before this year! Before, I was just never very interested when I watched (though I tried to be). I was quite surprised to find myself completely into the ice dancing phase of this year's Worlds. I hadn't seen any of the top couples except for B&A, but I must say that I thought N&K and D&S were spectacular. N&K didn't really deserve 9 6.0s from what I could see, but they do have a quality to their presentation that is very enticing. They are exciting to watch. They have energy and expression.
PML! Why would I hurt you? It's not like you said Langois and Archetto have choreography!

TV

Re: Re: The mind boggles

thvudragon said:
What? Lindemann would have won bronze either way and I can see arguements to both sides. How can there be a "fix" when the result was just either way?TV

I don't like the word 'fix'. I believe the roar of the crowd does have an affect on the judging. But that's just from my own sentiments. Lindeman was fine in doing his boyish engegy style. I don't object to his bronze. I just feel sorry for Lambiel, and yes even Klimkin who are much better artists than Lindemann.

As for the dancers, N and K, did a fine job. I am not a dance expert but I do see artistry (especially when it is natural and not forced). I haven't a clue as to whether the twizzles were off or not.

Joe

I thought Lambiel's long program was much more entertaining than Lindemann's. But as TV Dragon mentioned on another thread, even if Lambiel had placed ahead of Lindemann in the LP, Lindemann still would have won the bronze because of the short program (Lindemann was second and Lambiel sixth). I think that, in addition to responding to the enthusiasm of the home crowd, judges often give good scores in the LP just so the winner (who was going to win regardless) will not feel like he/she backed into the medal. Maria Butyrskaya in 1999 for example, was so far ahead after the qualifying round and the short progrm that she didn't need to win the LP to win the championship.

About ice dance, I agree that it is the most fun of the four disciplines to watch. The reason, for me, is that ice dancers almost never fall down, so you can just sit back and enjoy the show without biting your nails at each jumping pass. Watching the ladies leaves me collapsed in a bundle of nerves. (Not that I'm an armchair choker, you understand.)

Mathman:)

Kateri

On the Ice
Mathman said:
About ice dance, I agree that it is the most fun of the four disciplines to watch. The reason, for me, is that ice dancers almost never fall down, so you can just sit back and enjoy the show without biting your nails at each jumping pass. Watching the ladies leaves me collapsed in a bundle of nerves. (Not that I'm an armchair choker, you understand.)

Mathman:)

I always watch the pairs comp, and think "woooo tricks!! however do I watch ice dance - they don't do anything exciting!"

and then afterwards I watch the ice-dance, and go "woooo exciting, intricate, pairs is so dull and empty of content!"

and I do the same thing every year! I love both, but for different reasons.

k

curious

Final Flight
shine,don't tell me your jealous of navka's fab body and tan:D N&K are superb,great lines very sophisticated elegant pair on the ice. She is a Diva.